Strengths:
Smooth, very light, good gears.
Very good brakes.
Looks very nice.
Back up from company very good/helpful.
Have got 25+ miles per charge.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Weaknesses:
Saddle was very hard, changed for a better one. Apart from that I can't think of any others.

Summary:
This is my 4th electric bike. I really enjoy riding this one, and unlike a earlier one I owned I trust the brakes to stop me.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 8

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Alan Manders

Purchased From: Wisper Bikes

Purchase Price: £849

Time Owned: 4 Months

Local Terrain: Moderate Hills

Strengths:
Great looks, very light, very fast, very reliable, GREAT PRICE excellent value for money

Weaknesses:
saddle, but changed by Wisper FOC.. mudguards, pump

Summary:
This bike is excellent and I would have no hesitation in buying another from them or reccomending to others

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Gary Winter

Purchased From:
2nd Hand

Purchase Price: Not provided

Time Owned: 1 Month

Strengths:
Light weight
Looks like a normal Bike
36volt motor and very light battery

Weaknesses:
Tyres fitted
Front Disc Brake and pads
Company support to aftermarket and second hand user.
Lights supplied
Cable management
Instruction manual lacking

Summary:
I brought this bike second hand from the pedelec Classifieds forum as I had tried Wisper direct and got no initial response or information from the web site. I then called and was told about their new model and its price increase and would I like to pre-order, not what I wanted.
I was looking for something to commute to work on NOW and had checked out other reviews and decided on either the Wisper or the Commuter 24. I do not like buying without trying or checking out loads of reviews first. Then a 905e was advertised for sale here!
The Bike was in almost new condition with only a few minor blemishes and a soft front brake that I thought would need only some adjustment (wrong).
I have been commuting for a month or more now and am please with the bike overall but I have had some troubles and made some modifications for the following reasons:-
Replaced the front disk and calliper for a new Shimano DX Disc and calliper (pads £4.99 eBay) as I discovered the Zoom disc pads where de-laminating the brake material was cracking and dropping off of the metal backing. I also discovered that no one can supply replacement pads (even EBay!) and Doug from Wisper Bike seemed more interested in who I bought the bike from than helping me out, I am still waiting for Phil to get back to me when spares have arrive from China. I think this is a bit short sighted of Wisper as the second hand value will affect customer's decision to buy new and no second hand support kind of kills the second hand value a bit.
I also replaced the rear brakes for Shimano XT ones and this has improved the braking considerably from the original fitted front and rear setup for an outlay of just under £40:00 and a bit of sweat and swearing to remove the originals.
Removed the saddle post and replaced with a normal one as the original had some sideways movement through the spring joint making it feel a bit unsteady on corners and also at the lowest adjustment it would go to it was still just too high for me, some thing to look at if you are a bit on the short side like me, always test ride one before buying.
The standard tyres were really bad in the wet and bulged from the rim in places so having read the forums I brought a set of Marathon Plus tyres and they are great, sorted out the skidding and fitted into the rim properly £16.99 ea (eBay again).
The electrics have been a bit ropey as well, the throttle was sticking and this was due to the flimsy plastic sticker over the led lights letting water past onto the little circuit board and into the throttle assembly itself. I have made a replacement cover and glued it in place, serviced the throttle and cleaned out the water and rust/dirt and hopefully this has done no permanent damage and will keep the water out in future. The whole assemble is a bit cheep and nasty, though the half handle throttle set up is much better than that fitted to the Ezee bikes and others. One of the electric cable cores to the brake switches also broke where it passed the front stem, this was traced and fixed but the problem is the length, it is shorter than the rest of the cables that have been cable wrapped together and was being stretched when the bike turned left. I have repaired it and intend to replace it with a suitably longer one when I work out how the brake switch is connected. The controller is also in a section at the base of the seat below the battery and this is sealed with black gunk a hole at the bottom lets the cables out and they hang down untidily below the bike. I have resealed and tidied the cables up. I will fabricate a plate or cover and try to protect/tidy up these cables.
I binned the standard LED lights supplied as the back one fitted to the seat post and on a bike fitted with a carrier intended for panniers is a bit short sighted and usless, the front light was just pathetic, it did not always lock into the bracket and kept falling off and was not very bright.
As to the bike it s self - I am impressed with the idea though feel some of the parts used are a bit below the RRP of £884 plus postage. It is light enough to peddle as a normal heavy bike . The battery is light and as I take this off after every trip and charge it up, appreciate how easily it is to remove and how it locks in place when fitted to the bike. The front suspension takes some of the bumps and is not too soft. The paintwork looks good; though I think the finish is a bit soft and marks easily. The motor is powerful if a bit noisier than the Commuter 24 and it is fun to ride. The 6 gears are ok and work and it powers up all the hills I have easily.
If I was asked, I would probably recommend a Wisper but highlight that I do think it is a bit overpriced but can be improved on easily and cheaply if you are happy to get some tools out and do it yourself. It is much better that the normal Made in China bikes but also twice the price. The Wisper company communications are lacking and the aftermarket spares and support seem slow or non existent if you are not on their database and they have to wait for everyday spare parts to come in from China.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 7

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Nick Stride

Purchased From: Wisper Bikes

Purchase Price: £849

Time Owned: 3 Months

Strengths:
Good looking - with normal bike styling, smooth ride, good throttle response, rides well on woodland tracks and trails.

Weaknesses:
Looked rather staid when we got it - not everyone wants "sensible" mudguards, a bell with a compass and a big bike rack! I think Wisper may secretly agree as the bike we tried had none of the above and looked much better for it!

Summary:
I also have a top of the line Marin full suspension bike (£1750) but we all love the Wisper 905e!! It now looks great with new wider bars and bar ends, MTB tyres, big mud guards etc etc. It goes well on the road and up the tracks - a real blast!

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Wisper 905SE Owner Reviews

Reviewer: Robert Cruickshank

Retailer: Powercorpushies

Purchase Price: AD$1500

Time Owned: 2 months

Terrain: Some minor hills

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Comfortable. Easy to assemble. Reliable.

Weaknesses:
Supplied lights a little difficult to use. It has 3 'control' buttons which don't seem to contribute much. Right one turns off the power. Left ones limit speed to 16km/h and turns off pedelec sensor.

Summary:
I'm very impressed. Surpassed my expectations. Good value for money.

Overall Rating: 9

RichardB

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2006
Submitted by MikeB

Model: Wispa 905e works

Retailer: Wispa Sevenoaks

Purchase Price: £750

Time Owned: Oct-07

Terrain: Some minor hills

Strengths: Lightness
PedalAssist/PowerDrive switch
Reasonable charge distance

Weaknesses: Brake switches cut out in rain
(now disconnected)
Tube valve length (or rim depth)
Weak tyres and tubes

Summary:
A good bike, purchased as an ex demo so cannot speak to the battery life but I don't get any more than 24 miles per charge, however I do ride fairly hard always in drive mode, never in pedal assist.
First service Easter 08 required head bearings, all cables changing, rear wheel reset, (Spokes had come loose with several not connected when discovered). New crank set (bearings) also fitted at service 1 and will need to be replaced again this Easter (09) at Service 2.
Had the bike for three days when good downpoor rendered the brake switches useless as the cable seals (Electric) allowed water into the switch cavity cutting the motor, they are now both disconnected, must have a go at resealing the grommets and reconnecting the cables when I get a moment or three.
On the whole a pretty good bike as I admit to being a hard rider and use it every workday regardless of weather (15/16 miles).
I think the battery is starting to show signs of deterioration as it no longer lasts for 3 journeys (20-24 miles) and has to be charged every 2 (15-16 miles).
Estimated number of charges to date 300.
Would like to see a fuel cell replacement, any body any intel on the probability of this?
Cheers
MikeB---Derby

Overall Rating: 8