Yippee, gone and done it.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
I know what you mean about the inverted motor looking aesthetically pleasing....this new XH-5 looks very nice....
View attachment 5207View attachment 5208View attachment 5209
Nice bike ruined by the same problem with most Bosch bikes a bloody ugly brick bolted on to the down tube. This is one reason I like the Grace MX as it at least attempts to blend the battery into the rest of the bike. They could at least colour coordinate it.

IMHO of course. Im sure there will be many others that disagree.

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
Wednesday I rode to work on my old MTB with road tyres (my usual configuration for commuting).

Here are some stats....

11.1 miles of undulating roads and a couple hills (of which I struggle up at about 5-6mph)
57 minutes
11.5 mph average speed

When I arrived at work I was cream-crackered, legs, neck and shoulders all aching.

I then did the same commute on my new Haibike on Friday...

11.1 miles of undulating roads and a couple hills (of which I struggle up at about 5-6mph)
42 minutes
15.7 mph average speed

When I arrived at work I was not a worn out as on Wednesday, legs aching a bit but much less and neck and shoulders not as bad as Martin had fitted and set up my bike really well.

Big improvement, I think as I start to get a bit fitter I should get this down to my target time of 40 minutes. It takes me 20-25 minutes it the car.

An hour riding either side of a 12 hour shift is very hard work but I think I could cope with 40min! (Especially as I'm not so tired)

Take a look at the graph below, the line is the altitude (not sure if it’s totally accurate, it’s just an app on my phone) but look at the blue blocks, that’s what I'm more interested in, each block shows the average speed in MPH over each minute.

wed and fri.jpg

As you can see there is a much more constant overall average, my slowest climbing speed seems to be around 12mph which is double normal.

So all in all this is fantastic, I'm one very happy cookie, and as has been said before the grin from ear to ear lasts for hours!

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wednesday I rode to work on my old MTB with road tyres (my usual configuration for commuting).

Here are some stats....

57 minutes
11.5 mph average speed

When I arrived at work I was cream-crackered, legs, neck and shoulders all aching.

I then did the same commute on my new Haibike on Friday...

42 minutes
15.7 mph average speed

When I arrived at work I was not a worn out as on Wednesday, legs aching a bit but much less and neck and shoulders not as bad as Martin had fitted and set up my bike really well.

Big improvement, I think as I start to get a bit fitter I should get this down to my target time of 40 minutes. It takes me 20-25 minutes it the car.

An hour riding either side of a 12 hour shift is very hard work but I think I could cope with 40min! (Especially as I'm not so tired)

Take a look at the graph below, the line is the altitude (not sure if it’s totally accurate, it’s just an app on my phone) but look at the blue blocks, that’s what I'm more interested in, each block shows the average speed in MPH over each minute.

View attachment 5211

As you can see there is a much more constant overall average, my slowest climbing speed seems to be around 12mph which is double normal.

So all in all this is fantastic, I'm one very happy cookie, and as has been said before the grin from ear to ear lasts for hours!

Andy,

This is what you were saying on the phone yesterday, it's nice to see it on paper on the graph's. Really glad your getting on with the bike and I'm glad its comfortable.

Hey, 42mins, I think after your visit next week we should have this down to 35mins ;)

All the best.

Martin

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hey, those graphs are a Very compelling argument for "Why would I want an ebike?"

I've been hoping to produce similar comparisons between my 2 bikes (1 front hub & t'other mid- drive) & the missus' Powabyke, up my test route, using Speedict; but the damn thing just doesn't work for me.

I don't know if the Speedict doesn't record the data proper, or my phones (tried 3 so far) & tablet, can't download the bluetooth data uncorrupted - But the long & short is; It don't work & I've pretty much given up with it.

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
Hey, those graphs are a Very compelling argument for "Why would I want an ebike?"

I've been hoping to produce similar comparisons between my 2 bikes (1 front hub & t'other mid- drive) & the missus' Powabyke, up my test route, using Speedict; but the damn thing just doesn't work for me.

I don't know if the Speedict doesn't record the data proper, or my phones (tried 3 so far) & tablet, can't download the bluetooth data uncorrupted - But the long & short is; It don't work & I've pretty much given up with it.
Jackhandy, the app I used is 'MotionX-GPS' it's free on iPhone, then to get the graphs on here I had to photograph my phone screen and 'stitch' two images so you could see the whole ride.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Hi Andy,
If you have no objection, I'd like to use your 2 graphs to show people what an ebike does...

i.e. Boosts your average speed & reduces the effort needed to maintain it & shortens journey time, while not necessarily increasing top speed.

If so, the only snag I can see is that the hill at 44 minutes on the pushbike seems to have disappeared (about 34 minutes on the ebike): Some smartarse is sure to spot that - Is there any chance you could replot it?

Cheeky, I know, but it is a lovely illustration.

andy slow coach

Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2012
Hampshire
Hi Andy,
If you have no objection, I'd like to use your 2 graphs to show people what an ebike does...

i.e. Boosts your average speed & reduces the effort needed to maintain it & shortens journey time, while not necessarily increasing top speed.

If so, the only snag I can see is that the hill at 44 minutes on the pushbike seems to have disappeared (about 34 minutes on the ebike): Some smartarse is sure to spot that - Is there any chance you could replot it?

Cheeky, I know, but it is a lovely illustration.
Hi Jackhandy,

I see no reason why you can't use the graph, sorry I don't have any way of changing the graphs to match, the images were just a photo taken of the app on my phone.
:D

Last edited: