you want a motor with a gearbox in it?

D

Deleted member 4366

What's more interesting to me is the 48v! If we got 48v instead of 36v on OEM bikes, life would be a lot better.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
CVT on a crank-drive bike is one of those ideas that sound very logical and practical, but when you try it in practice, it doesn't quite give you what you'd hoped for.

I have Nuvinci on one of my CD bikes for which I had high hopes, but now it's confined to the garage. For me, nothing beats a hub-motor with derailleur gears. I don't know why, but that combination just seems to hit the spot - simple, light, durable and reliable. I'm not a luddite. I like to try everything new, and I'll try one of those Continental systems as soon as I can. If it's better, I'll buy one.
I agree however, the NuVinci in the Conti motor is placed at the chainring, the torque on it should be less than half of that placed on a gearbox at rear wheel. I would have thought a modified Nuvinci could have replaced the internal belt drive reduction gearbox and saved a bit of weight.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What's more interesting to me is the 48v! If we got 48v instead of 36v on OEM bikes, life would be a lot better.
we were talking about the legality of 48V in the context of EN15194.
Conti does not have any problem with 48V. May be we should all ride 48V bikes!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
we were talking about the legality of 48V in the context of EN15194.
Conti does not have any problem with 48V. May be we should all ride 48V bikes!
It really is night and day with the GSM! It even makes less noise at 48v for Pete's sake!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: EddiePJ

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
I tried one , or one very similar, at the bike show last Autumn, the 36volt version i think, I thought it rode very well i will definitely be interested in one, when they have ironed out all the little niggles.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I would have thought that CVT is particularly good for mid drive motors, you can maintain motor output during ratio shifts. A Rohlhoff would necessitate easing off on power before and during gear shifts.
According to some e-14 info I read it sends a signal to the bosch motor to momentarily cut power for the shifts. Also like the way it auto shifts to a low gear when stopped, but therre must be some reason why I can only find one e-bike with it fitted..

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
, but therre must be some reason why I can only find one e-bike with it fitted..
may be because Rohlhoff charge more for their E-14 alone than the mechanical bike costs?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
If you can call ball bearings rolling around and eating up over 15% of the power produced by the motor "gears"...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I can understand wanting a motor/gearbox combo with a full suspension bike - keep the rear wheel as light as possible and center mass. But in a city bike? Really? Another "problem" that didn't need solving or more profit for large companies that don't make enough already...

SexyHyde

Pedelecer
May 3, 2013
**NECRO POST**

Just a heads up that Conti have shut down their whole ebike business, so it looks like mid drive + gearbox still isn't coming any time soon.

Is anyone else making any progress with mid drive + gearbox development?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015