DIY Genesis Vagabond Vs Tern HSD

polygon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2024
I've found a Tern HSD locally with 1100 miles on the clock for £1.9k. I've wanted one of these for a while due to the potential for my wife to use it and carry our child around on her day off, rather than always taking the car. The other 4 days of the working week I'd be committing on it, 5 miles each way with child drop-off after a mile.

Going back and forth on whether to DIY the Genesis Vagabond frame sitting in my garage. Obviously the wife wouldn't be able to use this, higher centre of gravity, no dedicated accessory range like the Tern has. Positives: Far smaller initial outlay, probably less than half the cost of the Tern, probably a slightly better ride due to the bigger wheels.

Anyone been through the same debate and have anything to offer either way?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I've found a Tern HSD locally with 1100 miles on the clock for £1.9k. I've wanted one of these for a while due to the potential for my wife to use it and carry our child around on her day off, rather than always taking the car. The other 4 days of the working week I'd be committing on it, 5 miles each way with child drop-off after a mile.

Going back and forth on whether to DIY the Genesis Vagabond frame sitting in my garage. Obviously the wife wouldn't be able to use this, higher centre of gravity, no dedicated accessory range like the Tern has. Positives: Far smaller initial outlay, probably less than half the cost of the Tern, probably a slightly better ride due to the bigger wheels.

Anyone been through the same debate and have anything to offer either way?
Lots of other choices:

polygon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 10, 2024
Yeah the Mycle offerings look decent, smaller range of accessories, though, and ultimately I don't think we need a cargo bike that heavy duty. We live so near to a supermarket now that I'll be getting the weekly shop. Only 1 kid and no plans for more.

The major positive for the Tern is that it can adjust to me and my wife, and I think will be nimble enough to make her want to ride it. Being quite petite, I think she'd find a big long tail like the Mycle or GSD too unwieldy, though this is based on nothing but speculation currently.

I was quite interested in the RADwagon before they withdrew from the UK.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers