New Project Started

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I am confused now... are you going to use TSDZ2B and bike parts to make flat packed self assembling Ikea furniture?

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
18mm plywood is an ideal material for a e-bike build. I’m also using copious amounts of the stuff for my Maxi.

Oh and some 5.5mm and a bit of 3.6mm as well.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Finally some progress. Other things have been getting in the way. The main obstacle has been the problem of how to deal with the torque reaction from the motor on a full-suspension bike, so here's how I did it, which can easily be copied by any of you lot. All you need is some 2.5mm steel plate/strip of any metal that has similar stiffness, then a drill and a file/angle grinder to shape it.

There isn't quite a straight line from the fixing point on the motor's anti-rotation plate, so you need to file or grind a slight scallop in one edge.

The main problem was to find a secure anchor point for it. I wasn't happy that a normal P-bracket would be secure enough, nor a plastic printed part to be strong enough. Then I found these, which were perfect. I can use the back 6mm fixing point to hold a bracket for the musguard. It's OK as it is, but a bracket would be better:

Here is the torque arm now fitted:

The clearance between the motor and the swinging chainstay is very tight. The lug for the screw interfered at first, but I managed to get just enough rotation to clear it:

Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Finally some progress. Other things have been getting in the way. The main obstacle has been the problem of how to deal with the torque reaction from the motor on a full-suspension bike, so here's how I did it, which can easily be copied by any of you lot. All you need is some 2.5mm steel plate/strip of any metal that has similar stiffness, then a drill and a file/angle grinder to shape it.

There isn't quite a straight line from the fixing point on the motor's anti-rotation plate, so you need to file or grind a slight scallop in one edge.
Do you think all this effort was necessary? Theoretically TSDZ2B should be OK without extra support.

I was wondering what this extra hole in bracket is for. Now I know :)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here's the finished thing. The chain comes off in first gear, the tyres rubbing somewhere, but only when I'm riding it, and the speed sensor doesn't work. I'll soon get those sorted:

Apart from a few adjustments, this is stage one of the project that has three stages. More to come when I make more progress.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Do you think all this effort was necessary? Theoretically TSDZ2B should be OK without extra support.

I was wondering what this extra hole in bracket is for. Now I know :)
I would say that the friction from the bracket on the BB has no chance of resisting the motor's torque. That's why they ptovide their own anti-rotation arrangement.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I would say that the friction from the bracket on the BB has no chance of resisting the motor's torque. That's why they ptovide their own anti-rotation arrangement.
It is added there as extra measure. TSDZ8 don't have this extra bracket and it is expected to stay in place. One way or another your solution won't hurt for sure.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The solution is a good one. It's rock solid, much more so than the splines at the back of the V shaped bracket that comes with the kit.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It is added there as extra measure. TSDZ8 don't have this extra bracket and it is expected to stay in place. One way or another your solution won't hurt for sure.
The TSDZ8 has a different bracket. I wouldn't rely on it anyway, plus it ruins your BB.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The TSDZ8 has a different bracket. I wouldn't rely on it anyway, plus it ruins your BB.
TSDZ2B and TSDZ8 brackets are almost the same. Just TZDZ8 is a little bigger. I hope it will hold. If not I will send it all back to WOOSH

...or I will make them to send me gizmo like yours. ;)

• :D

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Finally, I can use first gear. The torque arm bracket anchor (spotlight mount) comes as a pair, so I had one to use. I cut off a strip of stainless and had my chainguide in 5 minutes. Muddy ride yesterday:

Reactions: awol and Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It was down Ironbridge Gorge and back
Did you see my mate? Fat guy with a fishing rod. Looks exactly like Shrek, but with a beard and tattoos. He keeps offering me fish pies baked by his daughter, don't think he likes them.

Mid-drive? Torque sensored? I thought you hated both. Does not compute! o_O

I reckon the small, puny and flimsy TSDZ2 is the wrong choice for you. I hope things continue ok, but I expect one or more of the many anxieties TSDZ2 owners live with made real, will ultimately serve as confirmation amplifying your bias against mid-drives. You really should have installed a cadence sensored, easy to firmware configure 36V BBS01B. 36V, because I'm unsure if all 48V BBS01B controllers can have firmware altered. BBS01B controllers last longer than the BBS01's used to. Far fewer anxieties overall.

Didn't @harrys make the PAS on his TSDZ2 cadence sensing, by way of firmware finagling? Perhaps an option to try, if torque sensing gets on your nerves.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Mid-drive? Torque sensored? I thought you hated both. Does not compute! o_O
You have to take one for the team sometimes. It's not too bad because it's the 48v version., but I do need to pedal harder most of the time, but not when I'm climbing very steep hills. I went up a 30%er today, which was at the end of a a long climb of about a mile. It's for a project that needs very good climbing torque, and there are reasons it would be difficult to use a rear hub motor, in particular because I need a special axle.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited: