Bike Mirrors

Willber G

Pedelecer
Feb 15, 2014
Southampton
It's the Cycle Aware Reflex Helmet Mirror from Merlin Cycles. I can't really fault the mirror, it's more my inability to adjust it to my satisfaction. Off the bike I get it into what seems to be an ideal position, but once riding I find it's not quite right and it's almost impossible to tweak while in motion. It's still better than nothing and I'll persevere with it!
Jim
Ah, same as mine and from the same place (although they do them in Halfords as well). I adjust mine as soon as I get on the bike and find it stays put from then on, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see what is behind me.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I have steel pins holding my spine together as a result of a plane crash a few years ago.

I can't twist round so far to look over my shoulder, so I always fit an offside rear view mirror to all of my bikes.

I tried many different types but could never find a good combination of small size, solid construction, and clear view.

I then came across the cheapo generic handlebar end mirrors on ebay. They're intended for motorcycles, so can't be found in the cycling section at all. Sold in pairs, they're under a tenner, made mostly from alloy, quite small and unobtrusive, yet with a clear 3" convex mirror. Even the left ones can be fitted on the right side, so one "pair" can fit out two bikes. Much more robust than most "cycle" mirrors, yet they don't look disproportionately big on pushbikes.

They can either be clamped over the handlebar end, or on a supplied extension inside the handlebar end.
cheapo ebay motorbike bar end mirrors.jpg motorbike bar end mirrors on pushbike.jpg

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
B&M are excellent on upright/North Road bars. Come with two lengths and don't vibrate. Glass a bit small but otherwise fine. I have them on both my electric and non-electric cycles.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I have steel pins holding my spine together as a result of a plane crash a few years ago.

I can't twist round so far to look over my shoulder, so I always fit an offside rear view mirror to all of my bikes.

I tried many different types but could never find a good combination of small size, solid construction, and clear view.

I then came across the cheapo generic handlebar end mirrors on ebay. They're intended for motorcycles, so can't be found in the cycling section at all. Sold in pairs, they're under a tenner, made mostly from alloy, quite small and unobtrusive, yet with a clear 3" convex mirror. Even the left ones can be fitted on the right side, so one "pair" can fit out two bikes. Much more robust than most "cycle" mirrors, yet they don't look disproportionately big on pushbikes.

They can either be clamped over the handlebar end, or on a supplied extension inside the handlebar end.
View attachment 8431 View attachment 8432
Hey Homer - you got a link to the Ebay listing for those?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Hey Homer - you got a link to the Ebay listing for those?
There's lots of suppliers, mostly from China, but some are UK based for quicker delivery ( 2 or 3 days, instead of 2 or 3 weeks), though a little more expensive.

A listing of all, cheapest first is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-Accessories-/14780/i.html?_sop=15&_from=R40&_nkw=bar+end+mirrors&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

and the cheapest from the UK is:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKINGEAR-BLACK-MOTORCYCLE-BIKE-BAR-END-MOUNT-ALLOY-MIRRORS-PAIR-22mm-7-8-BARS-/231032752670?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35caa00a1e

I've bought several from various suppliers, and they all seem about the same reasonable quality. All still working fine as well, some are now 4 or 5 years old.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Cheers.

Just got back from Wimbledon Common on my Burische (sp?) - I hooked up a button that when pressed (and released) puts the thing on full power. I disabled the pedelec too as it was annoying. For those that know the dog goes in the front. You just keep blipping that button or just leave it full on. Its got the 2013 controller so it hits around 20 with that button down. No mirrors on it though - got the mirrors on the Haibike - have to keep turning around if I want to check. Get my license back in 2 months (3 yr ban) - but you know what? I really think I am not going to get a car or a bike (I had a Yam R1 and an XJR Jag before they removed my privilidge to drive either). You know why? Because its just so much easier on the bike - I hardly ever used the car - I can get to the common in 10 minutes the car would take longer and where would I put the dog if I got another R1? (the only bike I seem to think is worth having). So. I think I am going to stick with what I've got. And just get a license so I can drive Mum's car when I see her.

Life's funny huh?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Inspired by this thread I've just put a £5 Halfords bar end mirror on the AVE.

Does the job quite well, and I've only hit it three times on those blasted A-frame obstacles on bike paths around here.

I'm not saying it's the best mirror in the world, but it's a lot better than what was there before.

AVE mirror.jpg

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Ah, same as mine and from the same place (although they do them in Halfords as well). I adjust mine as soon as I get on the bike and find it stays put from then on, so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to see what is behind me.
Made a far more successful adjustment today so it was obviously a case of getting used to the thing! It was fine on a 20 mile ride so I'm a lot happier with it.

Jim

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Inspired by this thread I've just put a £5 Halfords bar end mirror on the AVE.

Does the job quite well, and I've only hit it three times on those blasted A-frame obstacles on bike paths around here.

I'm not saying it's the best mirror in the world, but it's a lot better than what was there before.

View attachment 8448
Rob - do you have a mirror fitted to the Rose and if so which one is it? I think I'm right in saying you have the same Ergon grips as fitted to mine.

Jim

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob - do you have a mirror fitted to the Rose and if so which one is it? I think I'm right in saying you have the same Ergon grips as fitted to mine.

Jim
Not as yet.

I think I'm right in saying it would be simple to remove the bar end and fit a bar end mirror.

You would, of course, lose the bar end upright grip, but even if you fixed a mirror to it, the grip would be almost unusable.

I don't use the upright grips a lot, so may do it.