Bike Mirrors

Arrow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 31, 2013
Zefal spin
Small but does the job, and folds out of the way when not in use.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you for all your advice.... Definitely going to get a mirror now.

Would something like this work?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Screw--Mirror-handlebar-Mount-Convex/dp/B009T3Z03Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=cycling&ie=UTF8&qid=1397593203&sr=1-1
It looks a bit small so may not have a very good field of view. Also long stem mirrors like this often vibrate too much, blurring what can be seen.

Your best bets are the ones we know are good, such as the previously recommended Myrrcycle and the Cateye BM500G.

KellyBear

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2014
Greater Manchester
I will re-look at all the end bar ones - was just under the impression these didn't work well on swept handlebars as my arms block the view.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Zefal one has a double folding mechanism so that you can fold it right out of the way. It's difficult to explain, but it's much better and more useful than the style above.

Don't forget about the most critical function of the mirror - to be able to spot lycras coming from behind.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I will re-look at all the end bar ones - was just under the impression these didn't work well on swept handlebars as my arms block the view.
I guess it depends - my bars are swept/bent but nothing like as much as full Dutch style where I imagine it wouldn't work at all

For me this setup works perfectly - it's a blackburn brand

Horses for courses I suppose !

C

Cyclezee

From my experience of cruisers like the eZee Cadence and a customers Pedego, bar end mirrors are set too far back on the swept handlebars, what is needed is something like this:)
download (5).jpeg

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Are there any comfortable bar ends that can be used as proper bar ends that have mirrors built in?

Aushiker

Pedelecer
On my drop-bar bikes have used a Zefal Spy Mirror for some years. You can see one I had one bike. It had seen a lot of use and dispite its condition was still doing a sterling job.

More recently I have switched over to Busch & Muller CycleStar mirrors on my LoGo P-38 recumbent and will be fitting 80 mm ones to my Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT as part of its conversion to electric. Excellent mirrors which do not vibrate in use. They also come with various mounting options.

Regards
Andrew

Reactions: KirstinS

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
That one looks interesting. I'm trying to get used to one of the helmet-mounted mirrors at present but I'm not too happy with it. My bike is fitted with the Ergon GP3 grips which, as far as I can see, are not compatible with the usual
bar-end type mirrors. The one shown might fit the bill providing the arm is long enough and there's enough room on the handlebars for the clamp. Thanks for pointing it out.

Jim

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I strongly disagree with those who say a look over the shoulder is good enough, it's not. All that an over-the-shoulder glance gives is a snapshot of a moment in time. It's impossible to see a trend in the movement of other vehicles or see and act for a developing situation in the way that a mirror makes possible.

And I think it's also a matter of being responsible to other road users. All other vehicles have mirrors, but a cyclist is just about the most overtaken person on the roads so most in need of full time awareness of what's coming up from behind.

For most of my cycling life I didn't use a mirror but now I won't ride in any heavily trafficked situation without one. They make a huge contribution to cycling primary safety.
Yes. They are also very very useful to check if the men in blue are anywhere behind if you're considering jumping those stupid red lights with a million seconds of nothing allowed to move except the absent pedestrians.

This is the one I use:

Zefal Mirror

Reactions: tillson and flecc

jdallan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Which one do you have and what problems have you found?
It's the Cycle Aware Reflex Helmet Mirror from Merlin Cycles. I can't really fault the mirror, it's more my inability to adjust it to my satisfaction. Off the bike I get it into what seems to be an ideal position, but once riding I find it's not quite right and it's almost impossible to tweak while in motion. It's still better than nothing and I'll persevere with it!
Jim