Wisper eMTB sneak preview

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Another option is to use the Union flag with the legend 'Designed in the UK'.

Some other brands do that.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Another option is to use the Union flag with the legend 'Designed in the UK'.
that's worse than saying nothing or saying just 'Proud to be British'.
The problem with the slogan 'Designed in the UK' is that it means different things to different people.
Just look at German bikes. How many have such a slogan?
When you look into the content of UK input, it is considerable but not the majority of the improvements, mechanically, electrically and on several other aspects nor owning any particular patents.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

What's that I see on the rear of the seat post - a Union Jack?

Members with long memories will recall a heated discussion on here following the last time Wisper put the flag on one of their Chinese bikes.

I think David Miall is a very naughty boy for doing it again.
Yes, but remember this. read the writing above where it says M3x8:

Bosch display 1.jpg

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The problem with the slogan 'Designed in the UK' is that it means different things to different people.
That's the benefit of such a slogan, not a problem.

David said the bike had been designed by his new employee, so it's perfectly fair to say the bike is 'designed in the UK', even if the components are sourced from various countries and the bike is assembled abroad.

Nothing to stop you using the same slogan on the woosh bikes you design yourself.

Putting it on a bike with a generic frame, ie one you just slap woosh stickers on, would be a bit cheeky.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's the benefit of such a slogan, not a problem.

David said the bike had been designed by his new employee, so it's perfectly fair to say the bike is 'designed in the UK', even if the components are sourced from various countries and the bike is assembled abroad.

Nothing to stop you using the same slogan on the woosh bikes you design yourself.

Putting it on a bike with a generic frame, ie one you just slap woosh stickers on, would be a bit cheeky.
the problem is the relative content. Each new bike tends to have several improvements. For example, the gear sensor I started using in my CD bikes or the new speed sensor that is properly bolted to the chain stay like on the Bosch bikes or the new rounded hole for passing cables that does not need a cable gland. I may have asked the factory to source a new look rack or stem but each new bike is a result of improvements made by several teams, mostly Chinese.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
the problem is the relative content. Each new bike tends to have several improvements. For example, the gear sensor I started using in my CD bikes or the new speed sensor that is properly bolted to the chain stay like on the Bosch bikes or the new rounded hole for passing cables that does not need a cable gland. I may have asked the factory to source a new look rack or stem but each new bike is a result of improvements made by several teams, mostly Chinese.
Good point.

If an English artist using French paints made with American oils painted a work of art on Italian canvas whilst sitting in his studio in Berlin of a photograph of the Great Wall of China, what nationality would the artwork be? Would it matter?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the work is of the artist. Everyone can gauge the relative input of the artist's idea, imagination and skill in the finished product, about 99%. Everyone expects that the paints and canvas are bought in and the location of the studio does not matter at all.
Bike frames are not like paintings, more like canvas if components are paints.
They have to have prescribed dimensions, angles and material. When I want a new frame, I start not with a blank sheet of paper but with hundreds of pictures from the internet. From then, I send some to the factory/factories asking if they have done something similar. They may give me their CAD files or just some photos. I then sketch some modifications over their photos. It's not me who carries out most of the work.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It's the same with some ebikes, of course many are bought off the shelf with a new logo and lick of paint.

On a bike like this, when the frame is created, the graphics designed then all the parts are deliberated on and finally chosen the bike becomes unique to the creator.

• Agree
Reactions: PeterL and VictoryV

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
It must be something my end, but I still have problems with some (not all) photo's. All I can see on the link is this:

Blowed if I can work out what the problem is though :(

Gaz

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
My Boardman Mx Comp is made in Taiwan or Pakistan (can't remember exactly, certainly not Britain). Doesn't stop Mr Boardman smacking a sticker near the bottom bracket on all of his bikes