Help choosing right conversion kit

D

Deleted member 4366

You get 3 extra amps from the 20A one!

Disadvantage is that your battery goes down quicker.

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
You get 3 extra amps from the 20A one!

Disadvantage is that your battery goes down quicker.
Sorry - forgive my lack of savvy here - but what are the implications of running 960w (48v at 20a in my case) through a 500w rated Q128C? Is it 'go easy on the hills' or just being sensible and not going full throttle everywhere.

Just interested to know the restrictions on motor rating versus how many watts you actually run through it before it overheats. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 4366

You mustn't get hung up on all these ratings. they have very little substance.

Whatever controller and motor combination you have, you can damage them by letting the motor run too slow at full power for too long. You can tell when your motor is struggling. The faster your motor goes, the less chance there is of damaging it. In some cases, it's better to give a motor more power to stop it from burning.

A 20A 48v controller is a nice match for the Q128C, but make sure that you keep the speed above 10 mph when you're giving it maximum power.

The controller uses current control, so you only get the 20A on level 5 PAS or at full throttle. In both cases, you only get that current up to about 15 mph. You can see what happens by watching the watts on the LCD.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sorry - forgive my lack of savvy here - but what are the implications of running 960w (48v at 20a in my case) through a 500w rated Q128C? Is it 'go easy on the hills' or just being sensible and not going full throttle everywhere.

Just interested to know the restrictions on motor rating versus how many watts you actually run through it before it overheats. Thanks.
Read this, it will put your fears to rest: https://etrike.wordpress.com/2016/07/22/electric-hub-motor-tuning/ now don't go getting any naughty ideas! :D Marc averages 10 Wh/km with his rig (54V @ 35 A peak).

• Informative
Reactions: Benjahmin

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
hello Simon,

I would suggest our MXUS XF08C kit with 13AH battery.
It costs £499. You get everything you need, 26" motor wheel, cassette fitting, 17A controller, LCD with 5 assist levels, sensored brake levers, pedal sensor for your Truvativ crankset, HL downtube battery.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

Regarding derestriction, if you derestrict your kit, we can't guarantee it. But as indication, the noload speed is 22mph.
I see the hub/kits webpage makes the point " The throttle is sensitive and instantaneous." Which could put a lot of folk off. Well, a full throttle isn't!
All 3 of mine come in gently. Not sure I would ever want to use the PAS system on single track trails through the woods etc.as it is not suited to sudden changes in power requirements. One moment climbing, the next freewheeling. I grant you that's offroad stuff. On road I'm happy to use throttle too from time to time.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Not sure I would ever want to use the PAS system on single track trails through the woods etc.as it is not suited to sudden changes in power requirements. One moment climbing, the next freewheeling. I grant you that's offroad stuff. On road I'm happy to use throttle too from time to time.
Agreed, exactly the sort of riding I do. I use mine on number 1 which isn't too harsh on single track and use throttle where needed, it works fine for me like that.
Dave.