Help choosing right conversion kit

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I have been thinking of buying either an electric bike or a kit for 12 months now but need to just do it. I have a bike already thats only done around 100 mile from new so should convert really.

I have an 18" version of this bike - http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-calibre-two-two-13-47865/

I think I have decided on a rear hub motor as I dont do long or really steep hills but still need something to make me go out and get fit again. I am 47 and 14 stone 5ft 6in and unfit.

Can anyone recommend a rear kit for my bike? I really want one that I can de restrict easily so it will do 20mph to 25mph ish. Mainly so I can have a little fun as well as get me up hills.

Not bothered if a legal kit or not as I only do off road and cross a few roads and will be 20 mile rides max really.

I have had a look at a few kits on whoosh bikes and looked at getting from China so that will be a pain if it goes wrong. Budget of around £500

Cheers

Simon.

D

Deleted member 4366

My advice:
Don't be tempted to get one of those Ebay kits with a big DD motor.
Get a downtube-mounted battery. Bear in mind that you'll most likely need to add one or more rivnuts to the frame.
Get a kit with an LCD that has 5 levels of pedal assist.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Was not tempted by the eBay kits anyhow. Just want a recommendation for the full kit really UK or reliable HK /China supplier. No problem making battery fit as pretty handy anyhow. Just want a kit with option to de restrict but not looking for something super fast.

Can you recommend one?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
hello Simon,

I would suggest our MXUS XF08C kit with 13AH battery.
It costs £499. You get everything you need, 26" motor wheel, cassette fitting, 17A controller, LCD with 5 assist levels, sensored brake levers, pedal sensor for your Truvativ crankset, HL downtube battery.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits

Regarding derestriction, if you derestrict your kit, we can't guarantee it. But as indication, the noload speed is 22mph.

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you recommend one?
36v 201 rpm Q128C plus torque arm from BMSBattery
17 amp Sinewave controller from PSWpower
12Ah 48v Samsung 30Q Dolphin battery from Eclipse bikes

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
Thanks both I will go look at both those options. Would you say the q128c is better than the xf08c?

As for warranty being void if de restricted it sort of makes no difference buying from Hong-Kong or UK then really as would sort of have no warranty either way. I buy all my phones from china so used to buying with no warranty so to speak.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
This kit comes over budget unfortunately so may have to go for the whoosh kit.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
hello Simon,

It costs £499. You get everything you need, 26" motor wheel, cassette fitting, 17A controller, LCD with 5 assist levels, sensored brake levers, pedal sensor for your Truvativ crankset, HL downtube battery.

Regarding derestriction, if you derestrict your kit, we can't guarantee it. But as indication, the noload speed is 22mph.
Out of all your rear hub kits you sell which is the best? Which one will give more speed de restricted?

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
hello Simon,

I have this kit and do similar riding to what you intend. Good kit and very good after sales from Woosh.
There's no way I would derestrict mine, it does all I need as it is.
Think twice about deresticting as it's still illegal off road.
Dave.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
I have this kit and do similar riding to what you intend. Good kit and very good after sales from Woosh.
There's no way I would derestrict mine, it does all I need as it is.
Think twice about deresticting as it's still illegal off road.
Dave.
Thanks for the input mate. I may not need to de restrict as you say just be nice to have the option if needed. May be more than fast enough for me. I need something to make me use my bike as I just make excuses at the moment.

Reactions: D C

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The Mxus motor will climb hills at 26-27 km/h, if you pedal hard enough. With a 17 A controller it will do 33 km/h, if you buy a 48 V battery and controller it will do 44 km/h on the flat.

Reactions: waj1234

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A ready made bike makes sense as generally they are a neater finished product, though you are stuck with the choice of drive unit. The Bewo a copy of the Bafang BBS, you need to google the motor for reviews and spares may be an issue.
A BBS or Tongsheng mid drive may be a better bet one a cadence drive the other a Torque drive.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
A ready made bike makes sense as generally they are a neater finished product, though you are stuck with the choice of drive unit. The Bewo a copy of the Bafang BBS, you need to google the motor for reviews and spares may be an issue.
A BBS or Tongsheng mid drive may be a better bet one a cadence drive the other a Torque drive.
Thanks for the reply. Torn now. There is also someone on ebay selling a Carrera Vulcan E new for £750

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
So after contemplating a entry level complete E bike I have ended ordering the MXUS XF08C kit from Woosh. Hope its the right decision!

Hopefully it will be here before the weekend and it will be installed immediately.

Reactions: D C

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we'll send your kit out tomorrow by interlink, you should get it Thursday about lunch time.

Reactions: waj1234

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
we'll send your kit out tomorrow by interlink, you should get it Thursday about lunch time.
Thanks.

One question. Does the rim have Presta or Schrader valves like my current wheel? I assume I need to put my current tyre on the new rim and it comes without a tyre yeah?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the rim is drilled for Schrader valve.

waj1234

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2013
the rim is drilled for Schrader valve.
Very good can use same tube then cheers.

Left crank, water bottle and cassette and disc already removed ready and some M5 riv nuts and bolts ordered just in case I need em.

Reactions: Woosh

Forge Custom

Pedelecer
May 14, 2016
Dorset
Hi D8ve. Got this kit today but have a 20amp controller. Any advantage/disadvantage versus 17amp? thanks.