The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I know it's an old thread but I used it to get info. Thanks to Daveh and all others that recommended the cree light. I've been putting up with a little 5 quid led rubber thing. Just used the cree. It seems to light up half the woods. Thanks as usual guys.

Reactions: LeighPing

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
So impressed with the 1st one I bought, a month later I got another two. Three months further on (now being confident that they are a sound product) I got another one so 4 in total now for the families bikes. I would buy another in a heartbeat. You just dont get better for this price (nor in many costing a lot more either).

• Agree

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I see, as @Tugwell Gibson can confirm, some eMTB folks on fb forking out £200 and as much as £400 on a single light. It's their dime of course, but these lights are superb. Not just their cost either. They're actually tremendous! I always argue for them when they're put down as cheap Chinese junk. Usually by someone who wants to convince themselves that the extortionate lights are better.

My other Chinese light has lasted for over 2 years, in regular use. I used it up the woods yesterday in fact. Superb bit of kit. :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
upload_2017-11-23_23-9-12.jpeg
;)

• :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Good luck strapping that on your bars. :D
if you take off the back it is just the reflector like a motor bike light and the led just needs power and a adaptor made for it ;)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Max. output on that light lasts just over an hour. 10 x new best headlights, for the same price, will last much longer.

How can you trust a light whose sellers are dyslexic! :rolleyes:

Run Rime

20% output (1600 luemns) 6.3 hours

50% output (4000 lumens) 2.5 hours

75% output (6000 lumens) 1.8hours

100% output the full 8000 lumens 1.1 hours)

Flashing mode 7+ hours

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This is the current best road legal light you can buy for silly money:
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=191363;menu=1400,1410,1411;mid[303]=1

High beam / low beam
s-pedelec approved and stamped
daytime running LEDS
400 € + shipping...

Of course you need the tail light with brake lights and number plate light:

70 €

As I haven't won the lottery recently I don't have those on the trike yet :D
I am still absolutely thrilled with my puny battery powered Ixon IQ premium which lights up the pitch black Basque Country roads with ease for about 4 hours.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

We're talking about bicycle lights where you want, bright enough to see the road/path clearly in dark unlit conditiond, lightweight, reliability, convenience, duration enough for your longest journey. The light detailed in the first post meets those tequirements very well. I can't think hy anybody would want anything else.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Beam shape...

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I ditched the light in the first post a very long time ago, in favour of a Magicshine Eagle F3*, that suits my requirements perfectly.
I still frequently privately recommend the light in the first post though, if someone is looking for a cheap light, as there is absolutely no reason not to. For value for money, I don't think that it can be bettered, but for my off road use, the beam shape is just doesn't work.

*I didn't pay very much for it. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Beam shape...
Good point. Well presented.

Yes, it has a very good beam shape for riding on the road and unlit cycle paths as far as the rider is concerned. I've never been flashed by any cars, but I do angle it down a bit when there's cars about. The best thing about these lights is the elastic mounting, so when the cars don't dip, you grab hold of it and point it directly at the driver. That makes them dip very quickly. I guarantee it.