The new best headlight

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I only had a few hours out of my light, but they gave me a refund, and my mate got one at the same time and his still works fine, so they are a bit hit and miss, but they are cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
I bought one of those 18 quid ebay Cree jobs mentioned in Daves original post. It does the job for me regarding lighting up the parks in the dark.

Can you tell me how long they usually last. Today it went out at About 30 minutes at level 2 and 30 minutes on highest level 3. And when it goes out its sudden. This is my first light of this kind. So wondering it it's normal.

Thanks in advance. Paul

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I bought one of those 18 quid ebay Cree jobs mentioned in Daves original post. It does the job for me regarding lighting up the parks in the dark.

Can you tell me how long they usually last. Today it went out at About 30 minutes at level 2 and 30 minutes on highest level 3. And when it goes out its sudden. This is my first light of this kind. So wondering it it's normal.

Thanks in advance. Paul
the batts they send with them are fake rubbish thus why they dont last long so sounds about right if you have a 4 cell pack that is new.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
Thanks sound wave . I probably won't go into all that. Due to cost vs my needs. But it does explain why mine are rubbish at 18 quid for the lot lol.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Couldn't you just buy 4 genuine cells when the run time gets too short? I have the same 4 cell holder running a different light and am noticing a drastically reducing run time, so I'll probably do that.
Problem is my night riding is very intermittant so they don't get used much and no battery likes that.

D

Deleted member 4366

The cheap batteries they supply seem to be a bit variable. I haven't had any trouble with them myself. I get about an hour on full power, two on medium and a lot longer on low power. Additionally, I have one of those 4-cell cases into which I put some 2.9Ah Panasonic cells, which seem to last forever.

Just a thought. The batteries discharge all the time the light is connected. Are you disconnecting when the light is off? If not, that might explain your low duration.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have the cheap chinese jobies and also the expensive "propper" ones and both will self discharge if left connected. My "proper" one is tiny, is the smalles lamp I have ever seen and is as bright as anything else I have used. Its claimed 1600 Lumens is much brighter than the cheapy 1600 lumens, and as the battery pack is the same size and fitting as the chinease ones so I can use either on it but the chinese ones dont run long on this lamp. I have a few cheap battery packs, none of which have actually failed and run for about an hour on the cheap lights, and about 40 minutes on the good light.. So I carry a spare in the frame bag..

Some while ogo SW found a link to a simple in-line toggle switch to avoid having to do this. Yes I know its no biggy pullung the plug, but my propper light has a proppee connector which when snapped together needs some effort to pull it apart..
This lamp is also wireless remote control so you can mount it on your helmet and turn it on and off/change brightness from a small button on the bars.
http://www.highonbikes.com/xeccon-zeta-1600r-front-light.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTlfkLovURNuhZyZUX72oyhKFFXn3g_9Y2-B0vIcB2FlR_Hr8lGy0GhoC06kQAvD_BwE

• Informative
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
The cheap batteries they supply seem to be a bit variable. I haven't had any trouble with them myself. I get about an hour on full power, two on medium and a lot longer on low power. Additionally, I have one of those 4-cell cases into which I put some 2.9Ah Panasonic cells, which seem to last forever.

Just a thought. The batteries discharge all the time the light is connected. Are you disconnecting when the light is off? If not, that might explain your low duration.
Thanks Dave. I did notice the discharge when connected when I ran out on me in the garage in the first week. So I don't do that anymore. I've messaged the seller, maybe he will send another pack. But on listening to replies it seems I was way off in my expectations of battery life. I will just ride it on low on the roads and mid across the fields. As mid is enough to be honest. And see how long I get. It's more than enough for my short errand trips. It's only longer leisure rides that I might need to take care with the juice.

Tugwell Gibson

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2016
London
The sudden shut off . In the middle of the woods last night was fun. I had to fumble in the top bag for my cheap 5 quid led light. Angle it down to show me the floor and carefully get back to the road.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I tend to bank on an hour or so on full power which is plenty for me so all I do is recharge after every run out. I park the bike in the garage and have a multi output 5 way charger for all the usb stuff (of which I have plenty) and a socket for the chinese battery all ready to go. After parking I just plug it all in, perhaps its overkil but this way everything is always ready to go..

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The sudden shut off . In the middle of the woods last night was fun. I had to fumble in the top bag for my cheap 5 quid led light. Angle it down to show me the floor and carefully get back to the road.
It has been a significant time since I have used mine, but by memory, I thought the green light on the rear turns red when the battery is getting low?

I also found, that just as with my other Ebay lights that I have used over the years, that it worth getting a six cell battery pack.

It might seem gimmicky, but for about the last year or so, I have been wearing one of these on my night rides. It has proved it's worth on several occasions, and has become a 'won't leave home without' item. The compass went straight into the bin though. The strap is also not overly easy to use, but you soon get the hang of it.

Link for example only, not recommendation seller. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Multifunction-Charging-LED-Wrist-Watch-Flashlight-Torch-with-Compass-for-Camping/263051914194?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's thing with this light, additional torches are kept in either a pocket or back pack and if kept in the back pack, never easy to find. At least this one is on your wrist, has two light settings, a digital run time display and is amazingly bright. The beam angle is a little off and I did wonder if making it like a rolling ball would help, but suspect that you wrist would still be in the way.
It's a little bulky, but after a couple of rides, it is something else that you don't even notice.

I can only speak for myself, but I see it as a worthy addition to night riding kit. I haven't tried it, but would imagine that if need be, it could be fitted to the handlebars as get you home safely light, if the main light fails.

USB charging is also a bonus.

• Informative
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That's thing with this light, additional torches are kept in either a pocket or back pack and if kept in the back pack, never easy to find. At least this one is on your wrist, has two light settings, a digital run time display and is amazingly bright. The beam angle is a little off and I did wonder if making it like a rolling ball would help, but suspect that you wrist would still be in the way.
It's a little bulky, but after a couple of rides, it is something else that you don't even notice.

I can only speak for myself, but I see it as a worthy addition to night riding kit. I haven't tried it, but would imagine that if need be, it could be fitted to the handlebars as get you home safely light, if the main light fails.
And here is me thinking I was the only one purchasing useless geeky junk...;);)

• :D
Reactions: EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you could put them on ur bike ;)

or just go nuts with them ;)

even my mom has some on the back of her tv tho not addressable ones tho

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0051.JPG
got me some laser beam action going now ;)

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
With those loose cells and the plastic battery pack, does it have a circuit board to turn it off before it goes too flat or does that not matter?