Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And train all who survive as HGV drivers?
There's no shortage of HGV drivers. Trouble is that fully a third of them haven't got their safety certificates up to date with the annual 7 hour training so cannot be used.

All the government needs to do is suspend that requirement for the Covid emergency and the number of available UK HGV drivers will immediately jump 50%.

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
There's no shortage of HGV drivers. Trouble is that fully a third of them haven't got their safety certificates up to date with the annual 7 hour training so cannot be used.

All the government needs to do is suspend that requirement for the Covid emergency and the number of available UK HGV drivers will immediately jump 50%.
They're more likely to suggest using prisoners in jail for dangerous driving in the hope of quicker deliveries... ;)

Reactions: Nev

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If it's a human mass extinction event, I can't think of anything better.

What an amazing legacy, sacrificing ourselves for the good of the planet.
Let us hope that the Cockroaches that inherit the Earth remember us kindly
for this selfless act

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Eye sight in right eye is astonishing me... Colours and clarity perfect. Can't see how private could be better..
You were fortunate so far, I know of cases far less so, including two in my family.

However I was speaking of the options that exist for a much better outcome when planning the cataract surgery for both eyes. All too often the NHS ignores those due to their cataract treatment policy. That suits the likes of Specsavers, Vision Express etc to whom eyesight problems spell profit.

It didn't suit me, and that's without mentioning my very poor experience during the start of an attempt to correct one cataract. I walked out before they could do worse.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No I dont. I know you like the taliban (and may be disoriented). But you're still in the uk where dialogue involves free speech.
You really can be silly at times. Of course you are very welcome to introduce any new subject, post away. But not as an irrelevant reply to a very different subject and then pretend it's about free speech.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
Fear is a good tool. I’m of the opinion we should just leave things as they are. I won’t be going in pubs, restaurants, cinemas or theatres or on a plane for a very long time, if ever again. Those industrial are dead, killed by coronavirus and keeping them on life support by pumping cash into them is senseless. Things have changed and we need to find other, more outdoors, entertainment.

I hope they don’t, but if deaths start getting into the 1000+ per day rate again, people will become frightened and start to behave more responsibly. That’s a much more effective tool than Boris rules and regulations which he immediately breaches himself.
The pandemic is a 100% hoax. Delta variant is total
B.S

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Became evident to me during research for cataract for NHS versus private... That private sector does make promises it really shouldn't, is generally worried about getting your cash more than caring for you but if everything goes to plan can and do do a great job. I did find a good number of examples where NHS were picking up pieces after problems encountered in private. So far my care, treatment and results have been superb on NHS. Follow up 10 days after op already planned and left eye 2 weeks after that. There are medical reasons NHS do one eye at a time(here isn't place to explain).. The both eyes at once approach is to get more through doors quickly but justified on patient convenience. In reality it's far from that. There are cases, and not rare, where patients think going private for cataracts /IOL is amongst worst decisions of their lives.

• Agree
Reactions: oyster

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
You really can be silly at times. Of course you are very welcome to introduce any new subject, post away. But not as an irrelevant reply to a very different subject and then pretend it's about free speech.
labeling it irrelevant by saying its about cataracts (when you're the one who made it about public vs private health care - which is what I responded to - in the first place) is a bit like patel taking an interest in Afghan migrants, disingenuous.

Jesus H Christ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2020
The pandemic is a 100% hoax. Delta variant is total
B.S
It’s the Indian Variant please. Calling it the Delta Variant is being Greek Letterist and there is no room for Letterism on this forum you ******* letterist ****.

The Injuns have created a perfectly good coronavirus variant. It’s far superior in terms of transmissibility to the Chinese Mk1 effort, which is now starting to look a bit tame by comparison. Let the Injuns bask in their moment of high achievement, and don’t try to spoil it for them by rebranding the their product Delta. That’s disgusting behaviour.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
labeling it irrelevant by saying its about cataracts (when you're the one who made it about public vs private health care - which is what I responded to - in the first place) is a bit like patel taking an interest in Afghan migrants, disingenuous.
You're being silly again, I did nothing of the sort. I responded to Zlatans post on the subject of cataract treatment and the private and public options for treatment, those being his subjects. Not leg ailments, real or imagined.

You really can't stop being a misery can you, with your constant sniping at our posting subjects and occasional humour?

There's far more serious issues than the Covid you obsess about and think we should, which is largely an irrelevance to the 97% of us who haven't been affected by it.

Such as the current threats to our food production, supply and distribution chain. We can cope with living with Covid indefinitely, but can only last a few days without food.

And the mess we are making of the planet at present which ultimately threatens to end all higher order life.

But we in this thread haven't got round to sorting those out yet. Hang around, I'm sure we will in due course. I've made a start by solving the truck driver supply shortage.
How about you help us out instead of moaning all the time?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Let the Injuns bask in their moment of high achievement, and don’t try to spoil it for them by rebranding the their product Delta. That’s disgusting behaviour.
Or rebrand it with one of their top deltas:

Top 8 Most Fertile River Delta of India
  • Ganges Delta. Ganges Delta also known as Sunderbans Delta or Ganges Brahmaputra Delta in the Bengal region of the Indian subcontinent. ...
  • Godavari River Delta. ...
  • Kaveri River Delta. ...
  • Mahnadi River Delta. ...
  • Krishna River Delta. ...
  • Bhitarkanika Delta. ...
  • Kuruvadweep Delta. ...
  • Cooum Delta.
The first one looks a good option, suffering a dose of the ganges sounds very disease like.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Data concerning how quickly vaccine protection diminishes must be available. The percentage of double vaccinated people being admitted to hospital must also be known. Why aren’t we seeing it? Are they concerned we might stop gambling and boozing if we do? That would damage the UKs two most prestigious industries.
The data is to an extent known. But it is being messed up by the emergence of variants.. that means that clean then now analyses are corrupted by variants. But lets deal with what are known. Vaccination in Ireland is at about 80% ..with the least number of vaccinated in the lower age cohort. Eg 60 upwards is virtually 100%. . Hospitalised patients are 80% non vaccinated and 20% fully vaccinated, and the median age of hospital admissions is dropping. That means that even with the Delta variant, 20% of the population are responsible for 80% of hospital admissions, and the 80% vaccinated are responsible for 20%. If we did not have vaccination, the hospital's intake would be at least 5 times greater.
Moreover we now know that Delta produces 1200 times more virus particles per patient than the earliest variant. We also know that a very heavy dose of Delta will overwhelm the bodies defence in a fully or partially vaccinated person before their body can respond by producing sufficient white cells to repel the attack.

POLLY

Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
Chesterfield
The data is to an extent known. But it is being messed up by the emergence of variants.. that means that clean then now analyses are corrupted by variants. But lets deal with what are known. Vaccination in Ireland is at about 80% ..with the least number of vaccinated in the lower age cohort. Eg 60 upwards is virtually 100%. . Hospitalised patients are 80% non vaccinated and 20% fully vaccinated, and the median age of hospital admissions is dropping. That means that even with the Delta variant, 20% of the population are responsible for 80% of hospital admissions, and the 80% vaccinated are responsible for 20%. If we did not have vaccination, the hospital's intake would be at least 5 times greater.
Moreover we now know that Delta produces 1200 times more virus particles per patient than the earliest variant. We also know that a very heavy dose of Delta will overwhelm the bodies defence in a fully or partially vaccinated person before their body can respond by producing sufficient white cells to repel the attack.
B.S

• :D
Reactions: wheeler

Advertisers