Prices of the electricity we use to charge

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
[/URL]

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/us-climate-scientist-michael-mann-wins-1m-in-defamation-lawsuit
Usually when someone is awarded $1 million damages in a defamation lawsuit, they would have been said to have won their case ?
Strange, Mann’s case was declined by the US supreme Court, so they traded down to the Washington one.. haha.
And still no production of the dodgy data or "modelling". Got them on possibly unwise personal comments. *Not* on science. They say they will appeal too. So the game's still afoot.
Meanwhile people would have us believe the Maldives is an underwater paradise with nearly 1.8M tourists last year 2023! How is that possible if the temperature had really risen and the ice had melted?

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Traditionally, this species didn’t venture that far from the equator, write entomologists Stephen Doggett and Chow-Yang Lee in the 2023 issue of the Annual Review of Entomology. But in recent years, tropical bed bugs have turned up in the United States, Sweden, Italy, Norway, Finland, China, Japan, France, Central Europe, Spain — “even in Russia, which would have once been unthinkable,” says Lee, of the University of California"

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Strange, Mann’s case was declined by the US supreme Court, so they traded down to the Washington one.. haha.
And still no production of the dodgy data or "modelling". Got them on possibly unwise personal comments. *Not* on science. They say they will appeal too. So the game's still afoot.
Meanwhile people would have us believe the Maldives is an underwater paradise with nearly 1.8M tourists last year 2023! How is that possible if the temperature had really risen and the ice had melted?
short term optimism? The BBC did a long reportage on the 'climategate' and Prof Jones were pretty much innocent of being selective. The problem is climatology is still very much work in progress. Not so long ago, Michael Fish predicted that the hurricane of 15 October 1987 was a storm. I remembered it well. Two of my roof tiles landed on the ground that night. The Met Office won't make that kind of mistakes again. Our short term weather prediction has made absolutely astounding progress. That goes to show that their foundation is good.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The "BBC report", oh dear, enuff said, hehe.

In other news, volcanoes aren't hot, the sun isn't hot either, and it doesn't give us an average temperature of 16°C which would be -16°C with no greenhouse Gases.

The planet begs to differ m'lud!
Maldives "underwater" Airport, where the elite went during "lockdown". :cool:
Our engineers can certainly build an airport on a bank of sand or even in the middle of the Thames estuary (remember Boris airport?) but protecting the land that is left for the Maldivians to grow their own food is still beyond our engineering ability.

enrili

Just Joined
Feb 7, 2024
The "BBC report", oh dear, enuff said, hehe.

In other news, volcanoes aren't hot, the sun isn't hot either, and it doesn't give us an average temperature of 16°C which would be -16°C with no greenhouse Gases.

The planet begs to differ m'lud!
Maldives "underwater" Airport, where the elite went during "lockdown". :cool:
This is something about the BBC report! News about volcanoes, sun and planet sounds like a real adventure! And this video of Velana International Airport in the Maldives sounds like it's straight out of a movie. Going there during the “lockdown” is definitely something unforgettable.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
u live in London get a quote for a ram rover petrol or electric id sit down if i was you
I would never have bought a Range Rover at any time in its useless history. A Toyota Land Cruiser is a much better buy if one is into such monster wagons (I'm not).

Even the Range Rover owners had a joke about themselves, told to me by an owner (Ralph, pronounced in the affected way as Rafe) sitting behind the wheel of his:

"What's the difference between a hedgehog and a Range Rover?"

Answer: "A Range Rover has the pricks inside."

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
They're only 1m or so out of the ocean!
In the IPCC sixth assessment report (AR6) it predicts sea level rise of 32-62cm by 2100 in pathway SCP2.6 (keeping global warming to under 2 deg C from pre-industrial) In "moderate" scenario SCP4.5 (where emissions peak in a couple of decades) it is 44-76 cm , in the highest scenario SCP8.5 it is 65–101cm. There is also an estimate in AR6 where they include "low-confidence" processes like marine ice sheet and marine ice cliff instability that gives potentially 2m of sea level rise. If you look back over the IPCC assessment reports the sea level rise estimates (and temperature rise estimates) have slightly risen on each new report - they are very conservative with their estimates.

Reactions: flecc

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Our engineers can certainly build an airport on a bank of sand or even in the middle of the Thames estuary (remember Boris airport?) but protecting the land that is left for the Maldivians to grow their own food is still beyond our engineering ability.
Half of the Netherlands would be under the North Sea if it wasn't for engineering. Yay for the engineers!
Funnily enough those Dutch (who I believe Don't have gills) are reclaiming land in Maldives. Though I'd wonder if its for tourist development, not natives?
(Clue - Where did the mangroves go?)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
"Traditionally, this species didn’t venture that far from the equator, write entomologists Stephen Doggett and Chow-Yang Lee in the 2023 issue of the Annual Review of Entomology. But in recent years, tropical bed bugs have turned up in the United States, Sweden, Italy, Norway, Finland, China, Japan, France, Central Europe, Spain — “even in Russia, which would have once been unthinkable,” says Lee, of the University of California"
That's because people travel more and bring the bugs with them in a suitcase or rucksack, nothing to do with climate change. You guys are nuts.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
short term optimism? The BBC did a long reportage on the 'climategate' and Prof Jones were pretty much innocent of being selective. The problem is climatology is still very much work in progress. Not so long ago, Michael Fish predicted that the hurricane of 15 October 1987 was a storm. I remembered it well. Two of my roof tiles landed on the ground that night. The Met Office won't make that kind of mistakes again. Our short term weather prediction has made absolutely astounding progress. That goes to show that their foundation is good.
BBC are now less believable than the Guardian. As soon as you mention them, you lose all credibility.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
In the IPCC sixth assessment report (AR6) it predicts sea level rise of 32-62cm by 2100 in pathway SCP2.6 (keeping global warming to under 2 deg C from pre-industrial) In "moderate" scenario SCP4.5 (where emissions peak in a couple of decades) it is 44-76 cm , in the highest scenario SCP8.5 it is 65–101cm. There is also an estimate in AR6 where they include "low-confidence" processes like marine ice sheet and marine ice cliff instability that gives potentially 2m of sea level rise. If you look back over the IPCC assessment reports the sea level rise estimates (and temperature rise estimates) have slightly risen on each new report - they are very conservative with their estimates.
Complete bunk. Sky News says that there's an ice age coming that will freeze the Thames within 6 years. In that case, how will ice melt to cause the Maldives to drown? And this is "experts" saying this, not your stupid guys. Their modelling is 97% accurate!

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Professor Zharkova claims 97% accuracy for the model which dovetails with previous mini ice ages, including the Maunder Minimum period from 1645 to 1715 when frost fairs were held on the frozen Thames.

But she cautions that her mathematical research cannot be used as proof that there will be a mini ice age this time around, not least because of global warming.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Professor Zharkova claims 97% accuracy for the model which dovetails with previous mini ice ages, including the Maunder Minimum period from 1645 to 1715 when frost fairs were held on the frozen Thames.

But she cautions that her mathematical research cannot be used as proof that there will be a mini ice age this time around, not least because of global warming.
As I already said, if climate change is real and caused my man-made CO2, why would all the politicians and other world leaders, who advocate for it, be flying around in private jets and driving gas guzzlers?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I already said, if climate change is real and caused my man-made CO2, why would all the politicians and other world leaders, who advocate for it, be flying around in private jets and driving gas guzzlers?
At their stage of life they don't care since it will never affect them personally. That's the reality in our world, the ruthless run the show while those who really care are sidelined into being their critics.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Complete bunk. Sky News says that there's an ice age coming that will freeze the Thames within 6 years. In that case, how will ice melt to cause the Maldives to drown? And this is "experts" saying this, not your stupid guys. Their modelling is 97% accurate!