DFT consultation on increase of 250W limit to 500W

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe the minister got nudged by the e-scooter vendors.
I bet the ebike vendors (rental in particular, US exporters, Amazon etc.) lobbied for 750W and 20mph, plus throttle - perhaps that's the next stage of their fiendish world domination plan?

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
maybe.
I reckon we are not going to diverge from the EU anymore.
Brexit is a non event as it turns out. I go to France a few times a year. My car is usually as fully loaded as before brexit. Nobody bothers to check.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I reckon we are not going to diverge from the EU anymore.
I've long been of the same opinion but this new proposal seems to indicate the government are determined to get higher powered e-scooters in with EAPCs.

Easy in the EU for the e-scooters since the two and three wheeled type approval law has Exemption J, meaning they are not considered to be motor vehicles:

(j)vehicles not equipped with at least one seating position;

That is also our law, but as usual the 1835 Locomotive Act demands separate usage law to enable that here.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My car is usually as fully loaded as before brexit. Nobody bothers to check.
Nobody likes to be surprised by a car full of warm cheese. But it all takes all sorts, not judging.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I heard that you can get good money if you bring a couple of passengers - if you know what I mean. A nod's as good as a wink to a blind bat. Say no more.
Surely there's more profit in stupendously stinky contraband rare cheeses? Probably why @Woosh does it.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Woosh

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
OK, I've taken the bait, I've got a big brown drinking voucher that says you can't cross the Alps on bike with 250W rating....yes I mean 'you'.

Cosmetic, no, a change for the better and the future I think.

Also, you shouldn't let 'little children, elderly and dog walkers' on to bike lanes...just saying...

Not really, if bike is illegal (above proposed 500W), then it's still illegal?
I live in the Alps and regularly ride up and down many of the local ones on my bike which is compliant with current UK law. I don't have so far to go to be in Italy and even less to be in Germany, if I was to take the train to Italy then ride back home I would probably need 2 charges, I can get into Germany without charging.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
By proposed changes DfT wants to marry low powered mopeds into EAPC class. It is a very bad news for us.
This is how those mopeds look like:

35-40kg on average. They can't be used as bikes really. Only operated by throttle. Imagine 100kg rider on moped like that hitting a child on shared path.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I live in the Alps and regularly ride up and down many of the local ones on my bike which is compliant with current UK law. I don't have so far to go to be in Italy and even less to be in Germany, if I was to take the train to Italy then ride back home I would probably need 2 charges, I can get into Germany without charging.
Imagine the monster mid-drive motor Bosch could upgrade yours with, and rate "500W". In actuality, it'll be 1440W+... powerful enough to haul an extremely heavy weapons grade odorous bicycle trailer filled with the famous highly prized contraband stinky fermented schnitzels over the Alps, from Germany into eager Swiss hands paying big money, because they're obsessed with the rotted furry green and black congealed mess resembling particularly aged dog poo. Takes all sorts, not judging. When it doesn't kill you, fermented foods increase gut microbiome diversity, helps fight off Covid, which might kill you.

Bosch won't offer a retrofit throttle kit to their victims in the UK, they'll insist owners buy a new bike.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Bosch won't offer a retrofit throttle kit to their victims in the UK, they'll insist owners buy a new bike.

it can be done just rip out the controller batt and display, its a electric motor with 3 wires :p
be a shite battle bot motor tho needs more woof:eek:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

it can be done just rip out the controller batt and display, its a electric motor with 3 wires :p
For economies of scale, I expect Bosch designed controllers bearing multiple markets in mind, with throttle functionality if needed for whichever country legally allows them, but it'll be CAN bussed up the wazoo like everything else on their unreasonably locked to hell unrepairable excessive e-waste producing bikes.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

A simple software adjustment gives you a throttle on any Bosch system. You only need the password.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
A simple software adjustment gives you a throttle on any Bosch system. You only need the password.
not at 100a prob could push this thing to 25-35a max b4 they melt u can only push the winding so far with massive heat build up.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It doesn't change the current from whatever it is already set to, which is around 18 amps.
@soundwave is fantasising again about replacing the Bosch controller with a Phaserunner, but he'll never do it - I'm so confident about this I bet you a pint of Guinness, even if you don't like Guinness.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
peter pan already done all the tests pushing it past 25a if it gets to hot goes bang :eek:

id need a new frame or a motor mount kit for another motor batt controller but it can be done but is it worth it ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
peter pan already done all the tests pushing it past 25a if it gets to hot goes bang :eek:

id need a new frame or a motor mount kit for another motor batt controller but it can be done but is it worth it ?
I reckon you could fettle a Phaserunner and new generic battery onto your existing bike if you really wanted. However, colliding with a metal box on wheels at 50mph on a bicycle doesn't bear thinking about: The crumple zone is you.

Is the password "AAARRRGGGHH!!! DON'T BUY BOSCH!!!!"?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i could rip out the controller out the motor and make 3 holes for the motor cables but it wont look very good tbh.

bike is like a tank off road at speed and thats 1 thing the bafang cant do without falling apart lol

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i could rip out the controller out the motor and make 3 holes for the motor cables but it wont look very good tbh.
Why does that matter? A cool looking bike won't lower motor temperatures, unless you have bat wing or shark fin heatsinks with frickin' laser beams shooting out all over the place...

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id have to mount the controller outside of the motor and build a custom pack to fit in the frame case.

i just got other things to do atm like buy our house and get it bricked up fkn scaffolding prices wtf :eek: