£2500 to spend - what would you choose?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I bought the Kalkhoff BS10 from 50cycles in May. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was a kid!

I absolutely love it :cool:
Badger,unless I am mistaken both the BS10 models are illegal 350 watt motors. I have ridden 350 watt motored bikes both in China and Germany,that extra illegal 100 watts just makes the bike so much exciting to ride and I would love to offer bikes with the extra performance but will stick to supplying cycle path legal bikes. I am amazed that 50 cycles have continued for so long supplying illegal bikes,it's got to end in tears for someone,someday!
Dave
Kudoscycles

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
A to B magazine article defines the situation re 350 watt e-bikes,basically you take a risk,just make sure you don't run into anyone!
Is the BS10 legal?
In a word no, but like so much in the Alice in Wonderland world of Euro-legislation, it is legal in parts, and can be made 100% legal quite easily. Just to recap, if you ride an electrically- assisted bike rated at more than 250 watts, weighing more than 40kg and capable of more than 25kph, you are liable to be prosecuted for riding an untaxed, unlicensed and uninsured moped. At 22.2kg, the BS10 sails through the weight clause, but is a tad powerful at 350 watts, and very very fast, so on paper at least, the rider is liable to prosecution. In practise, prosecutions of ordinary commuters riding ordinary-looking, but fast electric bicycles seem to be exceedingly rare, although the risk is certainly there.

Interestingly, the BS10, and presumably a few others, have now passed European Type Approval as L1e or ‘Low Powered Electric Mopeds', a category that seems to mean different things in different EU countries, or perhaps not. Type Approval means the bike comes with a certificate of conformity, proving that it has been properly tested, and it has a motor of less than 4kW (well under in this case) and a top speed of 45kph (28mph). Armed with your Type Approval certificate, you can register the bike with the DVLA, pick up your free tax disc (excellent), pay for basic insurance and plop on a helmet (both good ideas anyway). The bad news is that you have to fix a full-size number plate to the back of the bike (it already has a bracket), which is a real pain and makes you look like a first class plonker. Mind you, you may look like a plonker, but you'll be a squeaky clean, legal plonker, although presumably putting a licence plate on a bicycle will attract the attention of bored traffic police, so you're liable to get stopped once in a while.We almost forgot to add that youngish people who passed their car driving test after 1st February 2001 will also need a motorcycle licence or CBT certificate to ride the bike. Oldies don't need to worry.

Importer 50cycles takes care to point out that this legislative route is a necessary evil, and unlicensed BS10s can only be used on private land. There are now several hundred of these bikes at large in the UK, and the vast majority seem to be unregistered. Perhaps one or two really are used for beetling about on country estates, but we can assume most are being ridden to work like any other bicycle.

Where's it all going? Heaven only knows. The DfT has just ruled that it's minded to make Euro-friendly 250-watt electric bikes legal - that's after about a decade of deliberation. Yes, the DfT still thinks the 1983-vintage 200-watt limit applies. They should get out more. No doubt there are some at Marsham Street who still believe motorcars are proceeded by a man with a red flag. If it's taken the DfT a decade to get to grips with this very simple bit of law-tidying, it's never going to deal with the much tougher prospect of legislating for 28mph machines. And in the absence of clear guidance, more and more people are simply going to start riding these bikes illegally.

Last edited:

Martin1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 29, 2012
TW13
If its this much fun then it must be illegal!

:eek:I will second that, just test rode a BS 10 and it just made everything else i had tried feel slow and heavy. with this bike you dont just that feeling of effortless gliding along, with a bit of effort you also get some adrenaline flowing.
Came back to the shop grinning like a loon and ordered mine there and then!:cool:

I bought the Kalkhoff BS10 from 50cycles in May. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I was a kid!

I absolutely love it :cool:

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Well if i had £2500 to spend i would buy one of the Tonaro range knowing i had just bought a E/bike that will do it all, performs with the best, and saves me at least a £1000 pound so hows that for a bargain,very best wishes Brian.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
what to buy for £2.5 K is really a very slippery slope

the AVE XH 3 must be a bargain in world of Bosch equipped bikes, at "just" £1799

...its amazing that all this talk of £1000++ bikes slowly brings one around to the feeling that "savings" maybe could be spent on something that is this important!!!
...a starting point is a £4-600 conversion, and then the brain slowly adjusts to Four Figures, so much so, that an AVE XH5 starts to seem a better bet at £2200!!!

Google Translate

is there no end to this madness, .......as we are slowly drifting into the world of bespoke kitchens, rather
than Ikea/B&Q..

.....I suppose that after 3 score and 10 years have passed, then if you don't press BUY now, just when can you???

any thoughts folks??

cheers barry c.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.....I suppose that after 3 score and 10 years have passed, then if you don't press BUY now, just when can you???
Exactly! If one has the money nearing the end of life, then just enjoy it without any conscience and to hell with environmentalists. They love having something to moan about so it's doing them a favour.

D

Deleted member 4366

...a starting point is a £4-600 conversion, and then the brain slowly adjusts to Four Figures, so much so, that an AVE XH5 starts to seem a better bet at £2200!!!

any thoughts folks??

cheers barry c.
What????

I built my Giant BPM for £900. Better brakes, frame, forks, motor and battery than the AVE for a saving of £1300.
I also built my twin Cute motored Rocky Mountain for a net £900, which has better frame, suspension, forks motors, battery, tyres, crankset, etc, etc. Plus it has inbuilt computer for batery analysis and data logging at £1300 less than the AVE. Plus, to me at least, it looks nicer.

Building a a bike with a kit is always going to give you a lot more for a lot less, and is much more rewarding.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
interesting responses from d8v and flecc....

without doubt, having the ability to put together an electric kit would be very rewarding, and although I am happy poking around a bottom bracket, or replacing hub bearings, I have never made much of a fist of electrics...

flecc's website of all things electric, makes things very clear when reading through, but doesn't help at the nitty gritty coal face...and slips the memory very quickly

but all this aside, there comes a time in ones life (as flecc has agreed), that the possibility of the next-of-kin squandering their inheritance is becoming a galling thought, and the need to save and be cautious, is segueing into "if not now,when"?
...a quality e-bike, or a month of care home fees???

its very interesting how the mental attitude that under pins the need to save, is exceedingly strong and well established, and most 'optional' expense is unwarranted.... as highlighted by d8v

but..........no contest really, so it looks like I will potentially be a fool, and have to spend that pound!

however the act of writing things down, does clear the mind somewhat!

cheers folks barry c.

Velospeed

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2009
West Berks
I'd recommend anything from the moustache range, they're all powered by the Bosch motor and are (currently) available at under £2000. Of course, I would say that because we sell them but they're high spec, hand made, beautifully designed and just that little bit different.

You can see them here
moustache electric bikes

and there's an A to B review of one model too.
http://www.velospeed.co.uk/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=N2rXEmIxRN8%3d&tabid=80&language=en-US

However you need to go and try out as many as possible because looking at specifications is no substitute for riding them and finding out how they feel for you.

Cheers
John

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Interestingly, the BS10, and presumably a few others, have now passed European Type Approval as L1e or ‘Low Powered Electric Mopeds', a category that seems to mean different things in different EU countries, or perhaps not. Type Approval means the bike comes with a certificate of conformity, proving that it has been properly tested, and it has a motor of less than 4kW (well under in this case) and a top speed of 45kph (28mph). Armed with your Type Approval certificate, you can register the bike with the DVLA, pick up your free tax disc (excellent), pay for basic insurance and plop on a helmet (both good ideas anyway). The bad news is that you have to fix a full-size number plate to the back of the bike (it already has a bracket), which is a real pain and makes you look like a first class plonker.
I would think a proper motorcycle helmet would also help you look like a plonker. As a cycle helmet would not be legal either as would not of passed the correct tests for a moped/motorcycle helmet which is what it effectively would be in British law.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
BE PREPARED to see in the future nos. plates on race bikes ..why.....well my lud these keep breaking the speed limit..

jeff21up

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 17, 2011
My Bionx Set up

I went for a Marin Flat bar (Marin Fairfax) with the Bionx kit fitted, so far I am loving the intelligent ride and the lighter weight although I still love my Wisper
The bike came in at £650 for the Marin and £1600 for the Bionx kit, expensive i know, but i gave up smoking in January and the savings paid for it.

Photo 28-09-2012 19 56 23.jpg

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
expensive i know, but i gave up smoking in January and the savings paid for it.
Good work. Am a week into staged withdrawal on those eCigs, aiming to wean off them soon as I can. As an added incentive, sold my car yesterday (where I smoked just about continuously and took on work requiring a ridiculous amount of driving - my biggest smoking trigger of all). Have a Kalkhoff Agattu C11 arriving tomorrow (with basic accessories topping £2,500), but it's going to be my main mode of transport for as long as it takes to get properly fit again (planning regular 40-50 mile round trip journeys, Winter notwithstanding) and off the cigs for good.

Just thrown previous work profile out the window, aiming for a less lucrative but healthier and happier life. The bike is going to be pivotal in helping make it all happen. Guess sometimes you just have to 'jump off the cliff' so to speak - I know it's going to be a huge shock but if things pan out as I hope they do it'll be the best £2,500 I ever spent :cool: