£300 fine plus £1800 costs for "dangerous" rollerblading

Grumpy1

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2009
Happy Birthday Keith's mum.......happy birthday Keith's mum......Happy birthday Keith's muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum .......happy birthday to you!:D (for Monday)

And Flecc, calm down, you are afterall a guru......I've only been here 5 minutes and I've been called a thickhead already.:rolleyes:

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
Standards

Gentlemen,

If there is one man on this forum that need no-one to defend him it is flecc
However some other posters should note that we came from an age when we had far greater freedoms and we were expected to exercise them.
Words are chosen carefully for accuracy, as you can see in any of his many posts, one might have to defend them.

To fail to do so demeans a man.

I concur with his posts in this matter.

Dave

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Gentlemen,

If there is one man on this forum that need no-one to defend him it is flecc
However some other posters should note that we came from an age when we had far greater freedoms and we were expected to exercise them.
Words are chosen carefully for accuracy, as you can see in any of his many posts, one might have to defend them.

To fail to do so demeans a man.

I concur with his posts in this matter.

Dave
It was people the skaters own age that were reporting him, how does that work?
I can see what you mean but the old way would have been to smack the skater with a bit of wood until he got the message, I don't think of that as a better way.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
It was people the skaters own age that were reporting him, how does that work?
I stumbled across this thread looking for something else and did make me chuckle. The forum seems to be exceptionally polite these days ! Does anyone know what happened in the end with the guy's appeal ?

One thing Brits can't stand is people making a fuss and drawing attention to themselves (unless they are footballers or TV personalities bith big b**bs and even bigger egos). "Characters" are not well tolerated - unless they wear brown and (most importantly) regularly buy rounds at the local.

Oh - and for what it's worth I think the penalty was ridiculous in this case. Just as massive fines, bans and criminal records are for certain first victimless driving offences. There are other effective and proprortionate ways of matching sentencing to offence and the first step should always be to try to educate before dishing out punishment.

In Britain, your best chances of being treated lightly are to be an out and out rogue of young working age, viewed by the law as a problem case to be coaxed and cajoled into modifying your antisocial behaviour with endless chances. If you are a decent law-abiding citizen and put a foot wrong, you can usually expect to have the book thrown at you as "someone who should know better". Why ? There is no proportionality of response and good character / age can often work against you (unless you are a policeman, work in the legal profession or are a media personality). Pensioners are favourite soft targets a quick bashing.

I have seen far too much of it going on here - this is not a country which respects or values its elderly population, and it's no wonder many have difficulty growing old gracefully ! Perhaps we could learn something from the Chinese on this ...

China: Parents can sue children for neglect - Asia - World - The Independent

Last edited:

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
He chucked the appeal on the day of the hearing, so in that respect he has wasted everyone's time.

His appeal was listed by Liverpool Crown Court and a judge and two magistrates allocated to hear it - they may even have read the papers.

The lost slot also means delay for genuine appellants.

Selfishly, he won't be bothered about any of that, and he will have been advised the new tribunal could have upheld the conviction and even increased the punishment.

Equally, they could have quashed it - chance you take, or not in his case.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
So you're saying it was vindictive because he was awkward.

That should play no part in the penalty or judgement, it's an offence he was being tried for, not his argumentative way or cussedness in court. There are separate charges possible for those.
Vindictiveness for a defendant who fails the attitude test is a normal thing in many courts. It's not the way it should be but it's how it is. Frankly, if he's so stupid and stubborn that as an a normal functional adult he decided to ignore common sense and mouth off in court instead of let things take their normal course then speak in his own defence, then he's a fool and deserves all a fool gets.
Stuff him - he might learn something from his rough encounter with the Law - I know I did - I learned decades ago how to conduct myself in court and skipped out of several of them having got off lightly.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The fine - £300 - appears reasonable for a defendant probably in receipt of a decent income from his public sector (retired youth worker) pension.

Costs - £1,800 - are what they are.

This was what the courts misleadingly call a 'private prosecution' - one from the increasingly long list of public bodies who are able to mount court prosecutions.

In this case it's a local authority, most government departments can prosecute as can some other bodies such as the RSPCA.

I've spent many years in courts for my day job and I've noticed private prosecution costs are generally higher than those from the Crown Prosecution Service, which uses a set scale.

One might say the private costs look more realistic, the CPS often only apply for a £100 or so which cannot be a true reflection of the cost of preparing even a simple assault case.

One might also say a local authority never does anything economically - you can bet four or five blue suits from the council turned up at court as well as a solicitor and probably a barrister.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
That damn free Jazz 'Scating' ????? could he be as bad as a out of tune Cleo Laine?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

having watched the video he was scating in a way that would definatly i feel put the publi at unease,if a child was to run about there would be a chance of it getting flattened, if a biker was riding about he would be no more dangerous yet he would be clapped in irons...."that not literally for anyone who might think im being over dramatic"...however if he had not been warned at least once then he should have been befor being arrested....while we may have rights as pedestrians im not sure its the same for rollerbladers, after all its all to do with public safety and wastching the video through i dont feel he was either safely or in a manner which others around will feel safe...:eek:

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
That sort of gives a feeling of being picked on, especially when others then followed your example.
I know all about this after being "attacked" by you in a thoroughly disgraceful fashion for an innocuous comment you didn't agree with.
....this is also the reason I rarely comment or profess an opinion.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know all about this after being "attacked" by you in a thoroughly disgraceful fashion for an innocuous comment you didn't agree with.
....this is also the reason I rarely comment or profess an opinion.
?????????? Please enlighten me Mike. If I've done wrong I want to know and apologise if necessary.

I'm only aware of giving some "likes" to your posts.

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
One or two on here take the posting of an alternative point of view as a personal insult.

But flecc is not one of them, so methinks wires have become crossed somewhere.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Please enlighten me Mike. If I've done wrong I want to know and apologise if necessary
I've really no wish to get involved in a slanging match in open forum...while you admitted you were deliberately rude you did not feel the necessity to apologise at the time and I'm sure you feel the same way now.
I freely admit that I posted a comment that went against your own and no doubt others, personal views but at the time I felt that I was entitled to my opinion...I now realize that I'm not.

I'm quite sure you could find the details yourself but If you wish I will post a link to the thread.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the reply Mike, I would appreciate the link since I genuinely don't recall this.