10 speed mech with 8 speed cassette.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
Will a 10 speed XT mech work with an 8 speed cassette & shifter? I believe 8 speed & 9 speed are interchangeable but I don't know if a10 speed mech requires a different amount of cable pull.
Steve.

D

Deleted member 4366

It depends what you mean by work. i run a 7 speed freewheel with 9 speed changer and mech. you have to do an extra click in the middle gears and often, you need to click one past, then one back. That doesn't bother me.

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
no ..10 speed mech won't work with 9speed /8 speed shifters as the pull ratio is different. I know from experience having tried it ( 9sp shifters ) and google will confirm . You may be able to adjust the cable attachment point slightly to adjust the geometry/pull but easier just to change the mech or shifter .

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
This is what WW is referring to...the gold block changes the pull ratio (in this case a Shimano Zee Shadow+ 10sp derailleur with a 9sp cassette/shifter)....9 or 8sp derailleurs are not expensive, but you can't get one with the clutch mechanism...IIRC:)

p5pb9128724.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: brightonebikes

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Steve/Cycling Weakly...I have servicable 8 and 9 speed derailleurs in my spares bin if you want one to suit and can't be bothered finding one on the www ...you can choose one foc whilst I program your BBS if you want:)

willywombat

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2015
interesting that gold block...never seen one before but i don't delve in 10 speed much. sometimes attaching the cable in a slightly different position can solve the problem but you need to know where!