10 Year Battery Warranty

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
I think ETS is hoping to get some more revenue from the 10 year warranty scheme. At the end of the day they will be getting £40 every six months for labour costs, that amount is does not include the parts which frankly will have to be replaced several times anyway over the 10 year period. i.e

Electric Parts:
Bafang motor won't last 10 years if used daily
Controller might go too after few years
Brake cut outs too
Throttle might need to be replaced too

Other parts:
Freewheel and chain - least twice over 10 years
Brake pads - least 7 times over 10 years
Rear rim on 905, 705 - about 3 times over 10 years
Tyres - at least 10 sets over 10 years

Remember that on replacing all of these components ETS makes a profit because they will be selling those at the retail prices so the revenue from sales of those is quite significant.

Eventually not everyone wants to keep one bike for 10 years so I think only few people will claim the new batteries. To me it is a clear selling strategy that will not only boost sales but also bring a nice stream of revenue to the ETS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While I know that failure to claim is a very common phenomena in protection schemes, I very much doubt this will be the case with £500 batteries.

That cost will focus the mind wonderfully.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
So the scheme is to boost servicing to make profits and is hidden under a 10 year warranty that we dont think meets a resonable replacement criteria at below 50% drop in performance. :(

EddieK

Finding my (electric) wheels
Comments regarding the 10 year battery warranty from The Electric Transport Shop

Hi Members,

Along with Jamie I am co-founder of The Electric Transport Shop.

This is my first post on any forum...ever. I feel a small rumble of anticipation...is that normal?
Firstly thank you to Wisper, Flecc, SteveBills and John, for bringing the topic of this thread to our attention.

I think several members have rightly pointed out that the 50% capacity limit in the terms and conditions of the 10 year battery warranty may look like commitment escapism.
I feel we had better explain ourselves a bit and hopefully you will believe that we are sincere and our customers wont be disappointed by the scheme.

Our Customers
Most of our customers use their ebikes over distances of less than 15 miles/day and for their purposes 50% capacity will generally be fine unless they have hills/loads that cause voltage drop trip. We generally get to advise our customers which bikes best suit their needs and therefore will take hills/loads into account at the outset.
We are seeing the average daily distance cycled increase because more young commuters are finding their wings on ebikes (and no doubt joining you on this forum). If the intended use of the bike is fully explored at the outset we are able to recommend appropriate battery/bike care to ensure our customers will be happy with the outcome.

In reality what will happen is that our customers will see us twice a year and a good relationship will be built with our store managers and colleagues. Whenever a customer justly requires a battery replacement to use the bike as they intended then they will get it, no delay, no quibble.

Most of the customers we initially approached with this idea loved the thought of having a real incentive to keep their ebikes in good condition with regular servicing and not having to worry about the cost of replacement batteries.
Because the warranty is transferable they can sell their regularly serviced machine for maximum value with battery warranty and service log book.

Our Colleagues
are professional, enthusiastic, honest people. They would not recommend or stand behind any ideas I presented to them unless they believed in them and trusted that they added real value for their customers and the business.
The guidelines are there and our store managers have to decide when it is time to replace their customers batteries...face to face and seeing them at least twice a year....and possibly living just up the road from them.

Our Suppliers
We work closely with all of our suppliers to ensure we can offer more real value to customers. As an example: one of our suppliers has been making some interesting developments regarding the voltage drop BMS trip. I'm sure you will hear more in the near future.

Is it possible/sane?
Our sincerity regarding this offer comes from the knowledge that there are sound business ideas behind it.
We are always looking to improve the value we offer to our customers. That needs to be done with a view to the future and the reasoning may not always be obvious at first. Indeed some of that reasoning we cannot reveal. Andy 82 has made some insightful comments.
Many people have bought bargain or discounted ebikes that have proven to be a false economy. Most people do not have the time to learn about the inner workings of the machines they use, and possibly not even the time or desire to service them themselves. Reliability and back up is crucial to the care free enjoyment of these products and that is where we believe the real value lies for our customers and this offer is an extension of that belief.

In Conclusion
We are not a faceless operation. We are very much involved in the promotion of ebikes in our localities. Our store managers are the very best we could find: knowledgeable, down to earth people.
All of our offers are genuine and sustainable.
We hope this offer leads to less ebikes being scrapped and more availability of quality used ebikes on the market.
The 50% battery capacity requirement is more of a guideline and an attempt not to encourage unnecessary waste and cost.

I can say we want to be absolutely fair about this and would like to invite productive discussion about what the requirements for battery replacement should be.

End of War & Peace :)

Eddie
PS, what are trackbacks?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the explanation Eddie, your mention of Andy's comments being insightful is insightful in itself.

It seems there is probably an element of uncertainty that you are prepared to take a risk on, I hope it comes off for you and doesn't prove too expensive to sustain.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
How very interesting, sounds a little like our conversations here about a battery leasing scheme. It does rather rely upon people keeping their use well within the potential maximum, which given that most ebike owners will also own cars, is a fair assumption.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Hi eddiek

I think we must of rattled your cage to get a first post out of you and nice to meet you.. and I told flecc you would join the forum soon and where did I leave that crystal ball
Joking apart I think that most ebikes won't be around in 10 years time (unless in a museum) and there batteries will be replaced by ultra batteries composed of xenon and fluoride :D

Last edited:

EddieK

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome and good wishes regarding the battery warranty scheme. I will try to join more topics and borrow Stevebills crystal ball for a day or two when he finds it :)

The main differences compared to leasing are that the customers own the battery from the outset and any subsequent replacements they receive. They can also exit the scheme whenever they wish because there are no contractual tie ins.
This makes selling the bike and battery on very easy for customers.

We have preparred for the uncertainties as much as we can.

Regarding longevity: well made ebike frames can certainly last 10 years and it makes more sense to update the onboard technology than to scrap. The price of bicycle components continues to head north and I think more people will seek to keep their ebikes on the road or to achieve a reasonable resale value for them.
Given a choice and a budget of say £500 I think many people would buy a 5 year old Wisper 905se with a 5 Year battery warranty before buying something new with lower quality and less performance.

Atleast I would - but I might be mad!
Time will tell :)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi The thing you all have not thought about Maybe the can repair battery's

where the BMS is Faulty or just change the Odd cells to keep the battery Going
Is the charger covered probably NOT

If it is covered under the warranty what about the motor and controller will that last 10 years

Probably More money in servicing and spare parts than in the original Margin on selling the bike

So makes a good long term Businesses for them

Frank

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I understand what your saying is that battery is made to last 10 years with the warranty and therefore you will have to replace motors, controllers, bms at your own cost :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think more people will seek to keep their ebikes on the road or to achieve a reasonable resale value for them.
If planned legal changes mean independent throttle operation on new bikes is banned, there will be a British vogue for keeping existing independent throttle e-bikes on the road permanently!

If that happens I could see dealers main business being in renovation, major part replacements and second hand e-bike sales, with pedelec sales as a sideline. :eek:

EddieK

update to 10 yr battery warranty terms

Hi Guys,

A quick and well overdue update. The terms have been changed to make it clear that batteries will be replaced at 50% capacity or prior failure.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Guys,

A quick and well overdue update. The terms have been changed to make it clear that batteries will be replaced at 50% capacity or prior failure.
Hi Eddie, how you getting on with the CBG2? .... Are you able to review it for me?