1000 miles... / chain / maintenance

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
already passed 1000 miles on the Wisper 905 I got in September...

not had any major problems other than replacing the tyres - but what maintenance should I be doing at this point?

Should the chain be replaced soon? Hopefully my chain breaker tool has not got mislaid somewhere (I knew I packed it when I left Reading in 2006) - and I know I need two chains (wondered for a bit why then realised it was because of the longer wheelbase) but what type are they?

Tthere is a bewildering assortment of chains on such places as Wiggle. I think the Powacycle was "Shimano HG"), and I don't want a thin chain like what is on a racer, but I am still confused.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As long as the chain has had some lubrication it should last for very much longer before replacement, probably 4000 miles or more.

To replace it you need 7/8 or 8 speed derailleur chain (which is a 1/8" roller width). There are thinner 9 and 10 speed derailleur chains and also 3/16" chains for hub gear bikes, but those are no good for your bike.

Any good bike shop will have a choice of at least two qualities of 8 speed chain, budget or quality.

I usually buy SRAM chains from SJS, but on the Wiggle page below you'll see some from KMC who are major suppliers of good quality chains:

KMC Chains at Wiggle

Last edited:

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I'm at c.2500 miles on my Wisper, and haven't noticed any signs of stretching or wear chain wise. I suppose this is because it doesn't have as much force put through it, being suplemented by the motor.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I replaced the chain on my Cytronex at about 2400 miles. I bought a chain wear indicator that allows you to monitor how stretched it is. Of course if you leave it too long then you end up having to change all the sprockets - more expensive than an £8 chain or two. Most other things get replaced when they break (gear cable) or lubricated when they stick. I do a bit of a wheel true when I change the brake pads as well (takes a bit of practice).

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I took the Salisbury into the mechanics at about 2500 miles and the chain definitely seemed stretched then, they also replaced the block (but not the front chainring).

As it appears from my previous thread that changing the block is a more fiddly job than on the Salisbury due to the large plug also having to be dismantled, I'd like to try and avoid this if possible..

So would 2000 miles be a sensible time to do this replacement?

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
If it aint broken don't fix it!

It's all relative to chain maintenance, lub and good cleaning.

If you want to destroy a chain and cogs in no time take the bike on to the sand.

I'll be fabricating a completely enclosed chain guard, to keep the worst of the dirt and grime out, that in itself will prolong the life of the chain and keep cleaning to an absolute minimum.

Powcycle chains are 'put out' mass produced run of the mill.

Upgrade to any 6spd SIS type chain, doesn't matter if it's £10 or £30, they'll last just the same.

If anything an ebike chain should last far longer than a HP bike, due to less strain on the chaindrive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Some do use the tactic of frequent chain changes to minimise sprocket wear. I don't do this because even at only a few hundred miles I dislike the way a new chain already tends to run roughly over the partial sprocket wear. I prefer to run both out to the maximum which can be as much as 6000 miles or more and then replace both rear sprocket and chain. Chainwheels don't suffer much wear due to their larger diameter.

The latter way means the smoothest running transmission throughout the life and isn't really any more expensive than changing chains every 1000 miles or so, probably cheaper even.