11000 watts/60 mph bike on ebay

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Indeed, it isn't that potent in speed terms, though clearly a bit illegal in power terms.

But as I said above, it isn't the degree of illegality that counts with the authorities, just the fact of it. When a pair of people engage in a theft and one takes a larger share of the proceeds, they still both get the same sentence. When one person out of a group of muggers stabs a victim to death, all are charged with and convicted of murder.
I have to disagree on that point, if a police car sees the car in front drive into an ASL box and stop he'll usually take no action. If he sees the car in front drive through the red light he'll stop it and issue a fine. In both cases the car in front has jumped that red light in pure legal terms, but one is seen so inconsequential that the police choose not to enforce it.

You could say the same of the usual 35 in a 30 drivers, small numberplates, tinted windows, loud exhausts, etc etc.

Its bikes like the Alien Apollo that will do 30mph that should worry people more, those are a long long way outside the legal limit, and obviously illegal to the casual observer.

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
"a B&S Etek motor that outputs around 18,000Watts PEAK 11,000Watts continuous"

The more we see of this sort of thing advertised as being in the UK, and the more Auroras and the like we see on the road, the more we hasten the day when there's a big crackdown.

Trying to emulate the US situation when in the UK or mainland Europe is going to be noticed, and you can be sure that this pedelecs forum is known of and regularly seen by the DfT who are currently reviewing the laws that apply to us.

Those who hope for a relaxation of the laws on power and throttles are going to have any hopes destroyed as and when the authorities become aware of the abuses of the current law. They are likely to react in the opposite way.
Hear hear truth said Flecc an absolutely stupid advert giving us e-bikers a bad name .

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hear hear truth said Flecc an absolutely stupid advert giving us e-bikers a bad name .
If we all toe the line regarding the legal position on e-bike maybe the future might see the law allowing a more powerfull but not nessasarily faster bike, that in my humble opinion would be the ideal the Aurora would then be a good choice methinks .:)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Ohhhhhh, c'mon. Alien do quite clearly state that the Aurora is not legal for road use.

The law is a bit of an ass, but I do acknowledge that the law is the law. You pays your money, you takes your chance.
I know what you are saying, but:

"The completely illegal hill climbing Aurora!"

"I'm also pleased to say that the Aurora does not conform to UK or European regulations for electric bicycles."

This is just plain irresponsible.

I know the words go on to say that it is for off road use only, but we all know that's not going to happen.

A few years ago, quite a few years ago actually, I used to enjoy motor bike trail riding, or green laneing as it was called. Back then, everyone more or less conformed to the law and was careful not to spin up the back wheel and was courteous to walkers etc. No one paid much attention, least of all the police. (Not that we were doing anything wrong.)

Then came along those that wanted to do what they wanted, where they wanted. They ride two stroke MOTO X bikes without silencers, don't stick to the trails (probably because they are too stupid to read a map) and regularly exceed 70 MPH plus on what is essentially a foot path. Of course, they then start hitting trees, walkers, dogs, dry stone walls and other such objects. This then alienates the walkers who complain. The police then get interested who find out that there is little that they can do because the motor bikes are technically on a road. The profile of this once gentile, minority sport is then raised for all the wrong reasons and the policy / law makers get involved. They are now de-classifying some of these ancient roads. Basically, the idiots have blown it for everybody.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but those who promote and shout about illegal electric bikes will do the same for the rest of us legal bike owners. That's all that I am trying to say.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Illegal... well they're not illegal are they? Handguns are illegal, these bikes are just illegal to use on the road. I dont think comparisons can be drawn between an eBike thats a few mph faster than a legal version and 70mph motocross bikes, thats just silly.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Illegal... well they're not illegal are they? Handguns are illegal, these bikes are just illegal to use on the road. I dont think comparisons can be drawn between an eBike thats a few mph faster than a legal version and 70mph motocross bikes, thats just silly.
The guy who is selling them seems to think that they are illegal. He says so. You even go on to contradict yourself by saying, "an eBike thats a few mph faster than a legal version." The implication being that they are illegal. I know, perhaps everyone is silly except you?

"I dont think comparisons can be drawn between an eBike thats a few mph faster than a legal version and 70mph motocross bikes, thats just silly."

Please share your wisdom. How much faster than the legal limit is it permissible to go? Do you have any case law to back up this bunkum? Or are you just letting your figures dance aimlessly across the keyboard with little or no thought behind what you say?

Streethawk, I'm afraid that you are typical of the people who screw up a good thing for the majority. They did it to trail riding and they will do it to electric bicycles.

And don't try to convince me that people buy these things to use off road. It's a bit child like.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
The only thing child-like is how upset you're getting at all this. This is a debate, not an excuse to rant until everyone else accepts your point of view.
They form their own opinions. I am voicing mine. Also, once i had made the statement that they were illegal on the road, the "on the road" part is understood, thats basic English, and certainly no contradiction.

pictsidhe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 17, 2011
I know what you are saying, but:
A few years ago, quite a few years ago actually, I used to enjoy motor bike trail riding, or green laneing as it was called. Back then, everyone more or less conformed to the law and was careful not to spin up the back wheel and was courteous to walkers etc. No one paid much attention, least of all the police. (Not that we were doing anything wrong.)

Then came along those that wanted to do what they wanted, where they wanted. They ride two stroke MOTO X bikes without silencers, don't stick to the trails (probably because they are too stupid to read a map) and regularly exceed 70 MPH plus on what is essentially a foot path. Of course, they then start hitting trees, walkers, dogs, dry stone walls and other such objects. This then alienates the walkers who complain. The police then get interested who find out that there is little that they can do because the motor bikes are technically on a road. The profile of this once gentile, minority sport is then raised for all the wrong reasons and the policy / law makers get involved. They are now de-classifying some of these ancient roads. Basically, the idiots have blown it for everybody.
This is happening everywhere, pavements that aren't being used as car parks now seem to have turned into cycle paths, while I will push an incapacitated bike on a path, I ride them on the road. As for speed limits, back in my youth I used to cycle everywhere, my mum caught up with me coming home one day, uphill, she then followed me down the other side, she said it became hard keeping up and I hit 45mph, and some people think 15 mph is too fast for an e-bike? While that e-bay monster is OTT and of dubious safety, I wouldn't try riding something that blatantly illegal on the road, I'll stick to my added hill climbing grunt 15mph-on-the-flat e-bike, motorbikes aren't that expensive to run for a speed freak.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The only thing child-like is how upset you're getting at all this. This is a debate, not an excuse to rant until everyone else accepts your point of view.
They form their own opinions. I am voicing mine. Also, once i had made the statement that they were illegal on the road, the "on the road" part is understood, thats basic English, and certainly no contradiction.
As I thought, no facts to back up anything that you have said, so I can dismiss you.

Thanks anyway, at least I have something to laugh at whilst I wade through a mountain of paperwork.

ps when you are talking about yourself, i should be a capital I, thus.

Last edited:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
No "facts" i provide would please you, but of course this was simply my opinion, and i'm not forcing it upon you. I see no need to get personal, even if you do. You have my pity.

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
Deep breath everyone!:)

As I said before, you pays your money, you takes your chance. There are those who think illegal is illegal period. There are those who don't give 2 hoots about anyone but themselves and would happily plough down the road (or pavement) at 40 mph on a sooped up ebike. Then there are people in the middle like myself/Streethawk, and other (strangely silent) Aurora owners, who, despite it being........I almost said technically illegal, but it's actually just illegal for road use, weigh up the pros and cons, and make the decision to ride on the roads. The Aurora isn't over the top, just 20% faster than a 250w legal bike. I can pedal just over 25 mph on my Dawes, and I'm pretty sure that on the right road bike I could hit 30+ on the level and 45 downhill. The Aurora is not Satans steed, it's what all ebikes should be in my 'humble' opinion. Nuff said.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
As I thought, no facts to back up anything that you have said, so I can dismiss you.

Thanks anyway, at least I have something to laugh at whilst I wade through a mountain of paperwork.

ps when you are talking about yourself, i should be a capital I, thus.
Who cares about I or i and what the hell has a 70 mph motorcrosser not a motorX get that spelling right.. got to do with an e bike..:)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Who cares about I or i
Me

the hell has a 70 mph motorcrosser not a motorX get that spelling right.. got to do with an e bike..:)
I am making the point that if you abuse the law, for example, Moto X bike doing 70 MPH on a green lane, then the authorities take notice and legislate against everyone, even the responsible riders. Everybody is disadvantaged. This has happened. It is real.

Similarly, if illegal ebikes become prevalent, and worse, sellers and riders boast about them, like they are doing, the same thing WILL happen. We will be legislated against and we will all suffer.

Try to understand and don't look at things in such a superficial way. It's not simply Moto X, uuugghhh, 70 MPH, ug, ebike, much slower, brain hurting, can't compute. THINK.

Last edited:

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hey the law is the law i rest my case ..!

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Me

I am making the point that if you abuse the law, for example, Moto X bike doing 70 MPH on a green lane, then the authorities take notice and legislate against everyone, even the responsible riders. Everybody is disadvantaged. This has happened. It is real.

Similarly, if illegal ebikes become prevalent, and worse, sellers and riders boast about them, like they are doing, the same thing WILL happen. We will be legislated against and we will all suffer.

Try to understand and don't look at things in such a superficial way. It's not simply Moto X, uuugghhh, 70 MPH, ug, ebike, much slower, brain hurting, can't compute. THINK.
like it in full agreement

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
Hello actually hand guns are legal it all depends on the structure of them i.e. barrel lenth and shoulder stock take it from me i know it's a rose by any other name ..!

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
And another Aurora owning motorcyclist here, with an even faster 196mph ZX12R, which has never seen its top speed in my ownership. I really dont draw any performance parallels between the two machine when one is 10x as fast as the other, and ten times the weight.
Is there some kind of correlation here? Mine's a GSXR750K8.

I think there may be. Owners of high powered motorbikes do (or at least should)) possess a greater ability to judge speed and distance. I'd also venture that we are more risk aware than non motorcyclists. Therefore (maybe wrongly) we feel more comfortable and capable of safely riding something with a bit moor ooomph. I realise that what I've just written sounds a bit cocky, but since I took my bike test 10 years ago, my driving has definitely improved. I'd say the same about passing my HGV test. Any experience of driving/riding different vehicles makes you a better all round driver/rider.

I can't see the road legal/non road legal debate being settled any time soon, so how about this. Straight sprint race over a 1/4 mile. The winner of this race is deemed the winner of the debate.:D

Last edited: