149mph electric bike

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
If you are thinking of tuning your electric bike a bit this could be the target to aim for. The winner of the Isle of Man TT Zero race for electric only bikes today was timed through the speed trap on the fastest (flat) part of the course at 149.5mph. Apparently the same bike has been timed at over 170mph when the rider wasn't conserving battery power for the 38 mile circuit which includes a 1400ft climb up the mountain.

There is a prize of £10,000 for the first electric bike to complete a lap at an average speed of at least 100mph. Today's winner averaged 99.6mph! As a comparison the best 1000cc Superbikes with top riders might do a 130mph lap, though many will be nearer 115 -120mph. That would be a rolling lap whereas the electric bikes only did one lap so they were setting off from rest. The point was made that with busy public roads being closed for racing there is very limited practice time for all classes of bikes, and the electric ones are probably at the bottom of the pecking order. The riders really didn't have enough practice time to find the best way of managing their battery power.

There could be a short segment in the ITV4 TT program at 9pm tonight if they edit it in time (the race only started at 5.15pm). Otherwise it will no doubt be included in tomorrow's programme.

Now where are the spanners that fit my Giant Suede.......

Last edited:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
If you are thinking of tuning your electric bike a bit this could be the target to aim for. The winner of the Isle of Man TT Zero race for electric only bikes today was timed through the speed trap on the fastest (flat) part of the course at 149.5mph. Apparently the same bike has been timed at over 170mph when the rider wasn't conserving battery power for the 38 mile circuit which includes a 1400ft climb up the mountain.

There is a prize of £10,000 for the first electric bike to complete a lap at an average speed of at least 100mph. Today's winner averaged 99.6mph! As a comparison the best 1000cc Superbikes with top riders might do a 130mph lap, though many will be nearer 115 -120mph. That would be a rolling lap whereas the electric bikes only did one lap so they were setting off from rest. The point was made that with busy public roads being closed for racing there is very limited practice time for all classes of bikes, and the electric ones are probably at the bottom of the pecking order. The riders really didn't have enough practice time to find the best way of managing their battery power.

There could be a short segment in the ITV4 TT program at 9pm tonight if they edit it in time (the race only started at 5.15pm). Otherwise it will no doubt be included in tomorrow's programme.

Now where are the spanners that fit my Giant Suede.......
I thought you were going to say some numpty had done that but as its professional thats ok lol. I have to say that is very impressive im actually in awe and i bet some of the serious super bikers must be impressed even if they wont admit it.

I dont suppose you have any pictures do you?

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
If they round up the figure of 99.6 mph , that`s 100 mph , so give `em the money Barney . Another year to wait then for the £10,000 prize .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
My legs didn`t stop spinning Bob on my Batribike Folder today . I did 15.24 miles in 95 minutes , half with the wind and half against it , average of 10.2 mph . To maintain 14 - 15 mph I`d have to be on maximum assist with my legs going around so fast it would hurt . After watching the News that here in the Vale of Glamorgan the bed occupancy is 100% in the nearest Hospital and they can`t cope , I don`t think I`ll try that again !

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
If they round up the figure of 99.6 mph , that`s 100 mph , so give `em the money Barney . Another year to wait then for the £10,000 prize .
You have to feel sympathy. Apparently that 0.4mph they needed equates to 20yds of road at the speed they finish. Still, 'rules is rules' I suppose.

I don't have photos, Jon, but if you google 'tt zero pictures' there are lots to choose from.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I watched some of this on previous events. Its jsut really bizzare listening to them hurtle down the lanes quietly companred to their combustion counterparts.

I think it would be great to ride one and if ebikes are not the future I think motorbikes have a real place for electric.