1st Idiot Caught on my Bike Cam

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Mornin,

Set my Bike Cam up just in time to film someone overtaking two cars on the cross hatchings, in the same place I was overtaking a stationary bus!
Question is am I doing anything wrong attempting to overtake the bus that is also on the hatchings?
I think i'm in the right as he is overtaking moving cars and the bus is parked taking passengers?

Martin.

YouTube - 1st Idiot caught on bike cam

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I see little wrong with what you did, but the overtaking car driver was definitely guilty of careless driving. He should not have overtaken until after clearing the obvious danger of the stationary bus. What that driver did also failed to take into account the possibility of persons alighting from the bus and trying to cross the road. That precaution is essential in the vicinity of stationary buses.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I noted you set off the speed warning sign saying 30 MPH witch means you were doing over 30 MPH

Just out off interest what bike are you riding

Frank

Iffy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2011
Wellingborough, Northants
Hi I noted you set off the speed warning sign saying 30 MPH witch means you were doing over 30 MPH

Just out off interest what bike are you riding

Frank
I noticed the speed warning sign as well Frank. It does not look as though Martin was going that fast, probably another idiot behind him triggered it!

D

Deleted member 4366

The cross_hatchings have a broken line along their edges, which means that you can go in that area if it's clear and necessary. As the bus was stopped, you could say that it was necessary to pass him, but not clear, with a car overtaking in the opposite direction. As the car comes into view, the camera shows that he's already overtaking. If he had hit you, you probably both would have been prosecuted for careless driving. If the camera showed that he started his overtake while you were already overtaking the bus, I think you'd probably be found free from blame - with camera evidence.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Are you just on throttle only as it seems really slow.
Car's in the wrong.

Dodgy place to over take. Stationary car, building to the right, bus stopped and his over took another car.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Dare I say it, your approach to the bus was wrong. Much better to position yourself to over take earlier than you did. IE check for following traffic and if clear move much earlier to the center of the road without entering the hatched area so as to see further down the road. Doing this you may have seen the approaching car far sooner than you did.

-------------------------------------------------------
Posting from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Glad you survived that one! ... excellent quality video - shows it all!
Are you using one of the devices that are being tested? CAR DVR, MD80, keyring, etc ..

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'd just like to second NRG on this one. If you're going to overtake make sure you're out in the middle very early for two reasons.

Firstly to make sure cars behind you lose the incentive to try and squeeze past you (always make the decision for them whenever you can), secondly so that you can see everything ahead of you and oncoming traffic is well aware of you plenty of time in advance.

Sneaking up behind a bus and then trying to nip around it is a recipe for disaster as you almost found out today.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
These are the situations when you can enter the cross hatchings:

(a) to enable the vehicle to enter, from the side of the road on which it is proceeding, land or premises adjacent to the length of road on which the line is placed, or another road joining that road;

(b) in order to pass a stationary vehicle;

(c) owing to circumstances outside the control of the driver;

(d) in order to avoid an accident;

(e) in order to pass a road maintenance vehicle which is in use, is moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph, and is displaying to the rear the sign shown in diagram 610 or 7403;

(f) in order to pass a pedal cycle moving at a speed not exceeding 10 mph;

(g) in order to pass a horse that is being ridden or led at a speed not exceeding 10 mph; or

(h) for the purposes of complying with any direction of a constable in uniform or a traffic warden.

You were overtaking a stationary bus so in that respect it was in order for you to overtake.

But did you check for oncoming traffic before moving out?

The only objection to cyclists that I have is that a lot of them have the "It is my right of way and I am taking it regardless" attitude.

I am not suggesting you have but it is probably the attitude that gets more cyclists injured or killed than any other.

What head cam are you using? The picture is very clear.

Steve

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
car driver is a very poor driver....but...... tricky place for bike to pull out and start to overtake without having a full and clear view of the oncoming traffic....
the car will always 'win' in such a situation
i would personally not risk going into a hatch area on a bike without a very long look at what was heading in the opposite direction.....

regards

martx007

Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2008
Wigan, United Kingdom
Folks
Yes i was going really slow as i don't want to be sweating at work(have to share an office :) ) I shift on the way home.

Good point about coming out earlier, would have had a much better view. I guess the reason i didn't was because i was going so slow i tend to stay left longer to avoid a lynching. I could only see the 2 cars ahead so he must have taken them both at the same time hence the angle he comes at.

The cam is the 17 pound one from 7day shop mounted on my rightside handle bar. Whilst i think the quality is very good the jury is out on reliability. Sometimes i can't get it to come on and sometimes i have found the sd card corrupt (same with a second one) with windings type characters rather than dcim - 100media folders when normal.

But freeze framing i can make out the reg plate ;O)

you live and learn...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I could see how slowly you were going, would I be right in saying it's a slight uphill gradient at that point? I also had a suspicion from the direction wobble that you might have made a right hand signal to pull out.

Doing some stop motion on the film and watching the white lines shows that you had not actually gone alongside the bus at the point the overtaking car reached you, so there was no risk of you being trapped between the two vehicles. There was also quite good clearance between you and that car, so probably more of a shock at the sudden first appearance of it's position than an actual risk of accident.

That's modern cycling in Britain, needing a plentiful supply of fresh underpants! :(

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
From your camera view there were no cars in view because they were obscured by the bus, by the same token you were not in view to the car drivers for the same reason.
I bet it came as just as a surprise to the car driver you popping out from the back of the bus. Fortunately the car had cleared the others and was pulling back in when you cleared the back of the bus.
As to who was in the wrong, who knows? We don't know what caused the car driver to overtake the 2 cars.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Looks like the oncoming overtaking driver is dangerous/careless driving as he doesn't appear to have the right to overtake across broken white hatchings and the overtake is clearly dangerous in a 30mph zone with a bus on the opposite side and it also shows a children crossing warning sign at the bus stop! You could report him but the cops would probably find it difficult to measure the speed of the overtaken vehicles and might just give him or her a ticking off and also give you a ticking off for your lack of observation and then applaude you for having a cam !

Last edited: