2 innertubes punctured while fitting new Marathon Plus tyre :-(

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Hello everyone.

While trying to sort out my replacement battery for my Bearprint bike I decided to replace both tyres with Marathon Plus puncture resistant tyres.

I managed to do the back tyre without too many problems but this morning while trying to replace the inner tube into the new front tyre I have punctured the tube by squeezing it with the tyre levers while doing the last difficult part getting the bead fully into the rim.

OK I thought, I'll be more careful with my 2nd spare innertube only to puncture that as well.

Please can anyone offer advice on how to do this without squeezing the tube and puncturing it?

Thanks and best wishes for Christmas and the new year.

Barry.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
did you inflate it slightly? I fink this helps....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, make sure there is just a little air in the tube to give it some shape, this tends to keep it out of the way of the lever and rim edge.

Also put the tyre in the valve area on last. This enables the tyre to sit deeply into the opposite side of the rim to give most slack where you are working, and the valve area of the tube is slightly reinforced and sits upright inside the tyre more.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
did you inflate it slightly? I fink this helps
That's what I do too. Also, I look carefully with a bright torch to make sure nothing is overhanging anything else. But given the force necessary to get the Marathons on the rim, I don't think you can avoid the possibility altogether except with a little luck - which, the next being your third time, will definitely be so.

I'll echo the happy Christmas sentiment. And remember, a bike is not just for Christmas :)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
As Flecc said, with the one side of the tyre on, fit and inflate the tube, then take the valkve out, make sure bthat the tyre wall goes right don into the centre of the rim when you finally close it at the valve.
I was taught to then push the valve in, to insure that any tube likely to get pinched is pulled out of the way.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Thank you all for your replies with very sensible advice which I will try to follow next time.
Eddieo yes I did partially inflate both tubes.
In the end I walked down to my LBS about 100 metres away and the proprietor fitted another innertube just using his hands - well thumbs!
This was very impressive and on Christmas Eve worth the £10 it cost including the new innertube.
Having watched him do it I think I might have a chance of doing the same next time although his many years of experience no doubt made it appear easier that it was!
I now have 2 pristine, beautiful new Marathon Plus tyres on my bike - I particularly like the reflective stripes which look great.
Barry.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the end I walked down to my LBS about 100 metres away and the proprietor fitted another innertube just using his hands - well thumbs!
Being ex-trade and as a junior having to do all the punctures, it's how I also do it. The skill is in using the depth of the rim as far round as possible to give the most slack at the point you are putting on last, but it takes lots of practice to get it right for all tyres, MPs being a bit more awkward than most due to their stiffness.

D

Deleted member 4366

Being ex-trade and as a junior having to do all the punctures, it's how I also do it. The skill is in using the depth of the rim as far round as possible to give the most slack at the point you are putting on last, but it takes lots of practice to get it right for all tyres, MPs being a bit more awkward than most due to their stiffness.
Thats the way to do it.
I can't remember the last time I used levers to put a tyre on. If you do it right, you dont need them - just roll it on with your fingers with just a little air in the tube to stop it getting caught between the tyre and the rim.

Put the tyre on 3/4 of the way round the rim, then push as much of it as you can into the centre of the rim as deep as you can .and try and keep it there while you work the last 1/4 over. If you can get a friend to hold the bead right in as well, it's even easier.

The same for getting the tyre off: Let the air out, break the tyre bead away from the rim, then force as much as you can of one side into the middle of the rim, then it's dead easy to lift the tyre over the rim to get it off.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I find with the M+ that it's quite handy to get the tyre on as far as you can and then use cable ties to keep it there while you work on the next bit. But I'm not an ex-pro just a mean b*****d who hates shelling out money to get anything done unless I am forced to. Or thirsty.