20 inch 48v 250w front wheel/ kit- seeking recommendations

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Hi all, I’m hoping to pick your collective brains….

I’ve just completed my first conversion- a TSDZ2 into an upgraded early-nineties Specialized Hardrock. I really enjoyed doing the conversion as it threw up a number of interesting challenges. I’m loving my new toy, and really rate the Tongsheng kit based on my first 200 ish miles of riding.

However the trouble with finishing projects is you then start planning the next one!

I’m seeking your recommendations for a 20” 48v front hub motor/ kit for my little folding bike (see photo- no laughing please). Unlike my mountain bike (which was always going to be a project/toy), the folding bike will be more of a workhorse. The plan is to hide the controller/ battery/ wiring in a basket or crate on the front, so there’s less wiring to get in the way when I fold it. My firm spec is as follows:

-Must be front drive so I can keep the 3-speed IGH on the rear.

-Must be 48v so I can share the Hailong battery I’ve already got on my mountain bike to reduce costs (I can’t ride both at the same time anyway)

-Must be 250(ish) watts i.e. legal.

-Must be robust

-Must fit 100mm dropout forks

Other preferences are as follows:

-Ideally a complete wheel rather than a hub (my previous experiences with motorbikes have taught me I’m not a very good wheel-builder).

-Ideally a disc mount on the hub so I can ugrade the front brake.

-Ideally a thumb throttle as well as PAS.

I initially thought this would be an easy shopping list, but I’ve realised that unlike mid-drives, there’s a bewildering selection of different hub/ motor/ controller options out there to confuse a newbie like me. There also seem to be some pretty questionable brands that look like they wouldn’t last 5 minutes. I’d also welcome some guidance on the best places to purchase. I bought the TSDZ2 from PSW Power who were fantastic, but sadly they don’t seem to have anything that meets my needs this time round.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions and recommendations

Gavin
20200512_174220.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Getting a 48v /250w hub tricky, getting a 36v 250w hub and run it at 48v not so tricky.
For smaller wheel one usually selects 328rpm/ 19mph as the 201rpm/12mph offering will be a bit slow, the issue is running 36v at 48v increases speed and torque by 33% so the 328 rpm might then be too fast at over 400rpm & about 26mph . A 201 rpm at 48v will be about 260/270rpm and about 16mph and better for load lugging and climbing.

Get all the electronics from the same page via the drop down boxes except the controller, you will need to select the controller from the main controller page though you will have to get a 48v controller . With 100sx limit the current to 17/18a a otherwise you will melt the clutch gears at 20a or more.
From the drop down box add a PAS, display and select the motor rpm/rim size, if you buy a throttle also buy the brake cut outs. Speed sensor not required as the 100sx has internal one.
You will need another battery base to use the docking connections unless you try and Heath it, if you get another battery base you can then use an integrated controller for it to be neater in the front basket with plug and play Julet connections.
Duty on top of the final price will be about £22/£25 which you will have to pay before the courier DHL or who ever delivers, they will send a text to your phone with a link to pay.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: peter.c

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
Nealh- thanks a lot for such a comprehensive answer. In fact it's so comprehensive that 3 days later I’m still researching it! It’s really highlighted the different complexities between a mid drive and hub motor purchase decision.

I’m nearly there (I think) but I’m getting my knickers in a knot over the controller. You said anything more than 17-18amps is a no-no. I'm assuming that's peak current and not rated current?

Unless I’m mis-understanding, you were suggesting buying this sort of controller….

http://www.topbikekit.com/10s13s14s-36v48v-6mosfets-sine-wave-controller-for-hailong-case-52pcs-cells-p-695.html

…..and mounting it inside this type of case…..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hailong-1-Lithium-e-Bike-Battery-Mounting-Bracket-Plate-with-Bullet-Connectors/173951106795?hash=item28804b3eeb:g:9RoAAOSw36tdGqW4

….to allow me to swap my existing Hailong battery between the two bikes. Is that correct?

Once again, thanks for your help- this is a bit like a primary school kid getting physics lessons from Stephen Hawking!

All the best

Gavin

Rudvr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2022
I'm struggling to get this off the ground due to work, kids and life lol. Selling the kit if anyone wants to have a look y.co.uk/itm/20-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Conversion-Kit-Wheel-48V-250W-EBike-PAS-UK-/265657993225?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Rudvr

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 3, 2022
Ebay.co.uk/itm/20-Electric-Bicycle-Motor-Conversion-Kit-Wheel-48V-250W-EBike-PAS-UK-/265657993225?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I had a look at your other items like this ebike at £465. I'm impressed with how discrete the ebike components are on it. On face value it looks like a standard carrera folding bike that used to sell at around £320. It's now been replaced by a disc brake version with a completely different frame at Halfords.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
AKM100 328rpm is a good choice. I have one on the rear of my 20" folder, but I also have the Q100H 260 rpm on the front of my minivelo.

This is an alloy fork, by the way and it always nagged at me. After a few years, I finally found a steel fork with disk brakes that fit my mini. I moved the torque arm to the steel fork too.

P1650084.JPG

The controller is a 36V/38V 20A KT sinewave controller from PSWpower, along with an LCD3 display. About $120 for everything, including display, brake levers, throttle, PAS sensor.

Shown with my wife's folder. I'm using a bottle battery, and we have a cheap hoverboard pack in the rear rack on her bike. Also have a Q100H on the blue bike, and another 20A KT controller.

I went with front motor on the minivello because it has a nice 8 speed cassette on the rear. I only have two bikes with cassettes, so why downgrade to a freewheel.

I've spoked five 20" motor wheels. Got the first one right, so I always used the same rim and spokes for the next. Well I didn't get the first one right. To have the spokes touch where they cross, I had to have all the elbows point out/

PICT0179.JPG

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Warning: cable leaving the hub upwards can encourage water getting into the hub. It's less neat, but better to have it leave downwards then loop up.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
I understand. The motor is oriented with the cable positioned to point downward. I just have no slack in it with that picture, which is with the old fork.