250W gearless hub conversions?

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
starting a separate thread as this question has got lost in another thread about kits

I am about to order a 250W rear hub kit but want to be sure it is an internally geared one - ie not a direct drive hub. My need is for a low speed climber on my commute home

Of the two sellers (elifeshop / YSBattery) I have narrowed it down to, one claims the hub is "brushless, gearless hub" and the other doesn't say anything. I have messaged them for clarification but being a rear hub can imagine "gearless" could easily be confused (with a hub that doesn't have gears / cassette / freewheel *on it* as opposed to *in it*) in a conversation with someone whose first language isn't English

So - is a 250W geared rear hub the norm for these kits? Or could it easily be gearless and I need to pin the seller down?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
gearless motors tend to have 245mm diameter, 250W geared motors 120mm.

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
thanks Woosh - as a newb to ebikes its stuff like this (not really knowing what is being bought because of incomplete / incorrect / fuzzy descriptions & translations) that is pushing me back to UK seller like yourselves, at least I know exactly whats what

D

Deleted member 4366

Some of those sellers have multiple types in the same listing. give us links to the exact ones you're considering. The German guy's kits look the best because they have the KT controllers - ysbattery-2012

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
thanks folks, got a reply from YS, happy with all the answers they have given, cant dither any longer . . .

Placed the order - 26" *rear* hub 250W geared hub kit (thanks d8veh for the shove in that direction) plus a basic 10.4Ah bottle battery set up. Looking to add puncture resistant tyre to rear from CRC at the same time as the build up