27.5 bad for road use?

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Looking to buy my first bike in 30 years. It’s more confusing than it was.

Most of the used bikes I’m seeing in my size have 27.5” wheels. Are these bad for commuting/road use?

The bike will get mixed use. I’m starting to think 29” would be better?

Im 5’10” if that makes a difference?

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Larger wheels roll better over obstacles but thicker tyres is what provides the best suspension effect and grip. This is an ebike forum so using thicker heavier tyres is less of an issue with an ebike. Nothing wrong with 27.5" wheel size except as its a niche wheel size which is mainly for mountain bike use there is less choice in tyres for road use compared to 700c/29" and 26" but still a lot of tyre options out there. There is only marginal difference in size between 26" and 27.5" one is 559 and the other 584 where is 700c/29 is more of a jump to 622. These sizes are the tyre inner diameter. 26" wheels everything else being equal are the strongest due to their shorter spoke length but this means they flex less and so are the most harsh riding.

Reactions: Kev.k

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably a bit cynical, but the plethora of new wheel size, latest greatest thing etc, particularly in Mountain Bikes is predominantly a way to sell a lot of very similar bikes all over again!
Exactly. The madness of tyre sizes many years ago (where for 26.5 inch and 26 1/2 were different, and often larger tyres than 27" if I remember right) had good historical reasons for being so confused. It almost became sane with ETRTO; but sanity is the last thing the marketeers want.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Looking to buy my first bike in 30 years. It’s more confusing than it was.

Most of the used bikes I’m seeing in my size have 27.5” wheels. Are these bad for commuting/road use?

The bike will get mixed use. I’m starting to think 29” would be better?

Im 5’10” if that makes a difference?
they are not bad for commuting use. You have to take into account that weight and rolling resistance are not problems anymore after you electrify your bike. For mixed use, you need the comfort of wide tyres, choose 27.5 with suspension fork. For sole road use, you should consider least weight and rolling resistance, I recommend 700C x 28C and non-suspension fork.
example for trail riding: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gran-camino
For commuting on tarmac roads: https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?faro

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Probably a bit cynical, but the plethora of new wheel size, latest greatest thing etc, particularly in Mountain Bikes is predominantly a way to sell a lot of very similar bikes all over again!
Exactly !

Once you have sold a bike with xxxxx to everyone, you have to introduce yyyyy, and make out its better, in order to sell more bikes.

And then its zzzzz, and pretty soon you can start introducing aaaaa again.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I mainly use 700c wheels with up to 42c tyres and my cargo bike has 650b (27.5") 54c tyres for nice comfort riding , I don't use supension forks as I find they don't add much to comfort but do add weight. I instictively lighten my saddle loading when I see bad sufaces or bumps on the road or trails.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I ride a 26" MTB with a front suspension fork and a 700c hybrid with a suspension stem. Both are used on cycle tracks and the road, if not doing a lot of mountain biking I would go for the 700c.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Thanks for all the replies and advice. It’s appreciated.

I will take a look at the hybrid bikes. I wasn‘t aware of them.

I was interested in a used 22 Whyte for sale locally. Looks a bit beat up for the price though.

Ive been using mental gymnastic man maths to try and justify this.
D78B7E73-7937-47D4-A5E4-7E6BA6413227.png

Going to hold off and look at the hybrids.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
I was chatting to a local independent bike mechanic today who thought now was a very good time to buy a bike. He talks to local bike dealers and according to him they are holding a lot of stock on the basis that the boom in cycling during lock down would continue.

He also said that a lot of bikes with very low mileages and in very good nick bought during the lock down boom are appearing on the second hand market and are potentially very good buys. He recommended looking locally on facebook marketplace, something I am not familiar with.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not get any bike with a brose motor and there the worst to work on as well and don't like water at all yet they still wont fix there problems.

the batts are also super expensive.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
id not get any bike with a brose motor and there the worst to work on as well and don't like water at all yet they still wont fix there problems.

the batts are also super expensive.
This was my fear. I was assured specialized have the best warranty but that’s no good once it expires.

I would prefer a bosch motor.

Whyte bikes would be my preference but they are expensive and warranty doesn’t transfer if I buy used.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I was chatting to a local independent bike mechanic today who thought now was a very good time to buy a bike. He talks to local bike dealers and according to him they are holding a lot of stock on the basis that the boom in cycling during lock down would continue.

He also said that a lot of bikes with very low mileages and in very good nick bought during the lock down boom are appearing on the second hand market and are potentially very good buys. He recommended looking locally on facebook marketplace, something I am not familiar with.
That makes sense. I’ve seen a few clean bikes for sale.

I was told that the battery may be a problem with them?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

the only motor you can get where you can get parts for it out of warranty is the Yamaha ones but not giant as make there own batts controllers and displays and use can bus.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I really did think for the motorbike money these bikes cost, they would be reliable.

Its a minefield even buying new

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they give these things only a 2 year warranty and are not expected to service or repair the motors so force you to buy a hole new one at £1000 or more.

or throw the hole bike in the skip and buy a new one is what they really want.

my bike has a bosch motor but the new smart frame batts wont work with my motor as software locked not to work.

you also cant recell the batts as use can bus they wont sell the bms so you cant make up your own pack and force you to buy there rip off ones.

that would **** all over my bike even with a dongle at 2000w

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
It’s amazing they get repeat business.

There is a shop local to me that build bikes. I thought the best route would be to buy a reputable brand, but I’m beginning to rethink.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
last year one of the fs giants bikes had to recall all the frames as they was cracking and it took 6 months to get a new frame and no bike.

seen plenty of others with snapped frames and carbon ones with cracks in them all there fault of course.

just because it cost 10k dont mean it wont fall to bits or snap in half they put 50 quid wheel hubs on 5k bikes and wonder why they get destroyed in weeks of usage.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Bike companies are very good at promoting gimmicks and not very good at quality checks(non round bottom brackets, voids in carbon frames) watch Hambini and Peak Torque on YouTube.
I would buy a Woosh Faro as good customer service, support this platform and parts readily available for their bikes.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I’m scared of carbon bikes.

Ive seen pics of many expensive bikes that have cracked on weld seams.

Im not going to rush into anything. I know very little about bikes which is why i Was leaning towards that new Levo.

Nothing I’ve been watching on eBay has sold and a new £11k s works carbon Levo that’s up for auction is at £3,900 with a receipt from leisure lakes in bury. 2 hours to go.

Related Articles

Advertisers