27.5 bad for road use?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i paid 3500 for my bike with 160 miles on it as that was my limit back then.

brose motors are not meant to be serviced you even need custom made tools to take the fkn things apart without braking them.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
160 miles is virtually brand new. That’s a good price for a bike that was £6k new.

It’s crazy that a motor in a £12k bike is not meant to be serviced.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
DSC_0113_01_01.JPG
DSC_0114_01.JPG
DSC_0115.JPG

DSC_0125_02.JPG
DSC_0123_03.JPG
;)

Reactions: Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Black bikes with gold shocks look really good.

I’ve seen a nice kenevo in those colours.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Giant not honouring that guys warranty is a joke.
I believe Giant resolved it by giving him a new frame, but thats only because the thread was banded about most of the big bike forums stw,pinkbike, twitter etc and it had a lot of people saying due to this warranty business they weren't going to be ever buying a Giant. More damage limitation than anything else.
------------
1675128639703.png

You appear to be missing the kitchen sink ;)

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you haven't already done so, look for prices for completed (eg actually sold) listings of similar bikes.
I'd guess around £2500, maybe £3000.

A year or two ago there was the extra demand and reduction in supply of new bikes, mostly directly or indirectly due to Covid. At that point fairly new secondhand ones were going on eBay for as much as a new one, sometimes even above. I think that may have given some people a false impression of current secondhand values.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
If you haven't already done so, look for prices for completed (eg actually sold) listings of similar bikes.
I'd guess around £2500, maybe £3000.

A year or two ago there was the extra demand and reduction in supply of new bikes, mostly directly or indirectly due to Covid. At that point fairly new secondhand ones were going on eBay for as much as a new one, sometimes even above. I think that may have given some people a false impression of current secondhand values.
I’m not going to do what I normally do. I’m going to take my time.

Nothing I’ve been watching has sold other than a new £11k bike with 2 year warranty that went for £5k in a auction.

Some of the prices are crazy. I guess it will sort itself out.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
No one has bid on the new cycle to scheme work bike, or took the buy it now option at £3500.

Don’t know if that’s because they think it’s a bit dodgy or that it’s just a slow market at the moment?

Bike is £4400 new.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Contacted a local bike shop who make frames and convert bikes to ebikes with baffang motors.
Going to see what they say before I go to Evans and spend more than I wanted to.

I’ve been looking at new bikes and decided it’s better to spend around £6k on something I really like, than £4k on something Im not keen on.

Used ebikes are too expensive at the moment compared to new to warrant the risk.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
All mechanical things at some point wear out or need to be repaired.

The purpose built bike industry has a real issue over the support it provides for the motor and battery, sometimes inside the warranty, and more often after the two year warranty has expired.

That said the dealer I bought my Yamaha Haibike from has been very good.

Also my 2015 Yamaha Haibike was designed very well and has been very tough.

The issue of support was highlighted for me when my battery/charger connections broke and the dealer could not help me fix them. Their hands were tied.

All my dealer could do was offer to sell me a new charger and battery at from memory £800.

The chap who owned the dealership actually suggested that I fixed them myself and that was what I did and they have worked very well ever since. The new connectors cost around a tenner of ebay.

The real issue was that my friend and I had to open up the battery to solder the connectors inside with no manuals or diagrams to help us.

We also could not at that time get hold of the correct connectors that Yamaha had used and that means that the connectors we used would not connect to a genuine Yamaha replacement battery or charger.

Compatible connectors or now more readily available so at some point we could do the job again with Yamaha compatible connectors.

But you can see from my experience, with in my opinion a very good dealer, the sort of support issue that could crop up. This is not helped by all the purpose built systems locked down with defensive anti tamper soft wear to make them in some cases impossible to fix.

When my motor needed an overhaul I took it to performance line bearings who did a great job.

All of that said I understand the temptation as off road the brilliant torque sensor crank drive Yamaha is so much fun to ride.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I nearly bought a yamaha Haibike for a great price.

Carbon frame put me off, but it’s still on my shortlist. Bargain at £3k.

The issues with big brand motors make bafang attractive.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The issues with big brand motors make bafang attractive.
the only downside of these BBS kits is their weight and they are relatively noisier than the TSDZ2.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
the only downside of these BBS kits is their weight and they are relatively noisier than the TSDZ2.
Im shocked by the weight of emtb’s in general.

Ive only just started reading about the different bafang kits. I noticed on a few videos they seemed a bit noisy.

As @georgehenry says. The support on these extortionately expensive bikes is lacking. I can’t think of another item of the same value (or at 25% of the value) that is as unreliable, or has anywhere near as bad warranty/after care.

Im the type of person that normally buys the best I can afford. It normally serves me well, but I’m so glad I didn’t rush into this.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
With your budget you could consider what many people do, which is buy new and sell before 2 year warranty runs out, and then repeat. Most will be fine if treated reasonably.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
With your budget you could consider what many people do, which is buy new and sell before 2 year warranty runs out, and then repeat. Most will be fine if treated reasonably.
That’s what I thought initially. I was thinking if I bought a nice bike and I had a change of heart I wouldn’t lose too much. But after watching eBay for a week, nothing is selling.

Prices are crazy to me though when compared to cars, and cars have transferable/extendable warranty. Cars don’t have 25% discounts on last years colour.

Has to be a immaculate, very desirable or sought after car to be worth 50% of it new price after 3 years.

Im seeing beat up 2 year old bikes for £1000 less than what the last of those models sold for (discounted when new model was released).

If I bought a bike for £6k I’d be happy to get £3k after 2 years.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You might get 50% value after two years, especially if in good shape and a history of no problems and a dealer service and report, but more likely 33%.

If you can live with that, and you'd have two years to forget how much value you'd lost (!) , then just buy and get riding! Spring is just around the corner!

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
You might get 50% value after two years, especially if in good shape and a history of no problems and a dealer service and report, but more likely 33%.

If you can live with that, and you'd have two years to forget how much value you'd lost (!) , then just buy and get riding! Spring is just around the corner!
If I could buy a clean 2 year old bike for 50% I’d buy it, at 33% I definitely would.

i’m seeing clean 3 year old Kenevo comps for £4200 when a new one is £5k and a expert is £6,500.

No wonder nothing on eBay is selling.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Carbon frame put me off, but it’s still on my shortlist. Bargain at £3k.
Can I ask what the prob is with carbon ?.
I'll admit im not a fan either, basically because deep scores I think would let moisture etc in, so maybe not the longevity of something like steel or alloy, but strength wise they're pretty bombproof.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Can I ask what the prob is with carbon ?.
I'll admit im not a fan either, basically because deep scores I think would let moisture etc in, so maybe not the longevity of something like steel or alloy, but strength wise they're pretty bombproof.
I know how strong carbon weave can be, but I’ve read carbon bikes can be quite brittle if dropped?

I did consider a Dengfu carbon frame because they’re relatively cheap and easy to replace. They are also designed around bafang motors which are also cheap and easy to replace.

I ruled out carbon initially because I was looking at used bikes and was worried about hidden damage.

• Agree
Reactions: AndyBike

Related Articles

Advertisers