27.5 bad for road use?

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
I never thought buying a bike would be so difficult and expensive.

I usually buy the best I can afford but with bikes that doesn’t seem a wise decision.

The £11k levo sold for £5k. If it was medium I might have been tempted to place a bid. It’s a really good looking bike.
8A5287AD-0830-4BED-BE3A-7A132F6E15DB.png
227E170A-184D-4B20-B95E-03754F5FF0FE.png

There seem to be a lot of bikes like this for sale in Manchester City centre. Expensive impulse buys that don’t really get used.

I initially thought conversions and kit bikes would be a load of hassle and unreliable. I’m definitely rethinking that now.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
horses for courses, that's why many of us have more than 5 bikes! I ride around town on my electrified brompton and take my full sus on holiday.

Reactions: Kev.k

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

I usually buy the best I can afford but with bikes that doesn’t seem a wise decision.

The £11k levo sold for £5k. If it was medium I might have been tempted to place a bid. It’s a really good looking bike.
View attachment 50105
View attachment 50106

There seem to be a lot of bikes like this for sale in Manchester City centre. Expensive impulse buys that don’t really get used.

I initially thought conversions and kit bikes would be a load of hassle and unreliable. I’m definitely rethinking that now.
Or expensive nicked bikes.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
horses for courses, that's why many of us have more than 5 bikes! I ride around town on my electrified brompton and take my full sus on holiday.
I haven’t got space for more than 1. Really want to get it right first time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have conflicting
you have conflicting priorities. A £10k e-bike left unattended for hours in London will attract the wrong attention.
A best bike for commuting usually has a rear hub motor and puncture proof tyres for example while a bike for fun should have lightweight wheels and air forks for quick response. It would be a lot simpler if you could have two bikes instead of one. I suggest you let us know how far is your commute, do you intend to commute in all weather?

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
you have conflicting

you have conflicting priorities. A £10k e-bike left unattended for hours in London will attract the wrong attention.
A best bike for commuting usually has a rear hub motor and puncture proof tyres for example while a bike for fun should have lightweight wheels and air forks for quick response. It would be a lot simpler if you could have two bikes instead of one. I suggest you let us know how far is your commute, do you intend to commute in all weather?
I don’t necessarily want a £10k ebike. I just initially, wrongly assumed that they would be really well built and reliable.

I will still keep my eye on eBay for any local bikes at a good price. I don’t know enough to buy anything that is well used.

My commute is 3 days a week outside of rush hour with some steep hills and a few shortcuts off road.

Im beginning to think a Chinese frame with a high powered bafang or similar is my best option. I liked the suggestions Soundwave made. Slightly nervous about any carbon frame though, let alone a Chinese one.

The only new bike I’ve seen that tempts me is the cf Haibike for £3k. Seems a bargain to everything else, but I’d prefer a more powerful motor.

There is a lot of woodland and trails where I live. The area I’m moving to even more so.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Really nice. €17,000 with carbon wheels. Crazy how expensive these bikes can be.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Kev.k and Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that will get you a 4000w motor if you get the custom version and that will kick the bafangs ass but at a heavy price.

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023

that will get you a 4000w motor if you get the custom version and that will kick the bafangs ass but at a heavy price.
Thats the best I’ve seen. Its expensive but to me it’s a bargain compared to high end FS bikes. I understand that for people that use them properly that’s different.

My worry would be that it would attract the police. It’s doesn’t look like your average mountain bike.

I’ve had enough hassle with the police over the last few years. Even more frustrating when they haven’t bothered coming out after 2 house break ins and someone shooting at my pick up with 8 witnesses.

They said he was driving a pool car and they couldn’t trace it. Id never heard of a “pool car”.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
look at it like this no matter what you spend if plod gets hold of it you will need to provide insurance to get it back.

if you got the haibike thats still cheaper than 2 bike ahead wheels and a dongle that can be removed so it can be made road legal again.

i have a badass dongle that slides over the speed sensor so it can be removed in seconds but i have never had a problem with the police or my m8 with his bafang.

so why not get both use the haibike for off road stuff and the bafang for work and still be under 5k.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
I don’t necessarily want a £10k ebike. I just initially, wrongly assumed that they would be really well built and reliable.

I will still keep my eye on eBay for any local bikes at a good price. I don’t know enough to buy anything that is well used.

My commute is 3 days a week outside of rush hour with some steep hills and a few shortcuts off road.

Im beginning to think a Chinese frame with a high powered bafang or similar is my best option. I liked the suggestions Soundwave made. Slightly nervous about any carbon frame though, let alone a Chinese one.

The only new bike I’ve seen that tempts me is the cf Haibike for £3k. Seems a bargain to everything else, but I’d prefer a more powerful motor.

There is a lot of woodland and trails where I live. The area I’m moving to even more so.
The expensive ebikes are more performance bikes its like buying a Ferrari or McLaren, a nicer experience with a bit more power but much more complicated with reliability issues. A hub motor ebike is more like a Toyota Corolla, a bit more boring and not as powerful but dependable and simple to service and repair. Performance products are typically shorter life. In fact many manuals will warn the user about their compromised lifespan and weaknesses. Download the Giant manual and look at their warnings for road bicycles. Of course dealers won't tell you that, they want to make the sale but I think the certification requires appropriate warnings in the supplied documentation.

Reactions: TechIm512 and Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
look at it like this no matter what you spend if plod gets hold of it you will need to provide insurance to get it back.

if you got the haibike thats still cheaper than 2 bike ahead wheels and a dongle that can be removed so it can be made road legal again.

i have a badass dongle that slides over the speed sensor so it can be removed in seconds but i have never had a problem with the police or my m8 with his bafang.

so why not get both use the haibike for off road stuff and the bafang for work and still be under 5k.
I really have not got the space unfortunately . Just sold my car to make space on the drive. Still got a pick up and a lease hatch.

I’ve got generators and paint machines taking up a lot of space and a stack of tools. Making space for one has been a struggle.

The police issue is why I want to be discreet as possible. Internal battery would be ideal.
I’ve been looking at the dengfu frames. They seem to work well the bafang motors.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
Seem a bit cheap to me. :D

If you have money to burn go for an "Optibike".

TTFN
John.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
MerkavaMk4_ZE001m.jpg

if i had the money id get one of those ;)

Reactions: snafu and Kev.k

Kev.k

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2023
Frey bikes seem like a option for sure. Discreet with more power than the Bosch/Yamaha/Shimano/brose.

Optibikes look great but no way the police would drive past one. I’d love a sur ron for the price, but I don’t think their peddle kit fools anyone.

I did see these on eBay. Was thinking of maybe buying a frame like that, with a better motor and front end.
A913DEF0-6EA4-448C-967C-741F1A169556.png

Is it possible to fit a bafang motor to a existing Bosch or brose ebike?

Related Articles

Advertisers