28 reasons to Bike.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
....although a rather dated study and based in the US, this report is still a usefull read...

28 Reasons to Bike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

16) Less Congested Roads ?

wont there be as many on the roads if not more ?

28) Enhanced Quality of Life for Women

what about better quality of life for men ?....this is a sexist survey surely :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Interesting Beeps, a very comprehensive breakdown of the advantages in many of the notes.

The 29th reason to bike was missed though, can't afford anything else. :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
The 29th reason to bike was missed though, can't afford anything else. :D
An assumption I think many people still, sadly, make unless you're kitted out in lycra and riding a Bianchi or similar expensive looking road bike. I recently cycled to work and had 3 cars on the drive to choose from. OK one was a hire car awaiting pickup and one was in serious urgent need of disc replacement but the bike was my first choice for lots of good reasons. I find the whole "status" living the dream aspect of personal transport ridiculous - Big safe Lexus/Volvo/BMW/Range Rover 4 wheel drives complete with expensive personalised number plates for single person short local runs etc etc.

Though - Can't afford anything else is a very good reason Flecc

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
An assumption I think many people still, sadly, make unless you're kitted out in lycra and riding a Bianchi or similar expensive looking road bike. I recently cycled to work and had 3 cars on the drive to choose from. OK one was a hire car awaiting pickup and one was in serious urgent need of disc replacement but the bike was my first choice for lots of good reasons. I find the whole "status" living the dream aspect of personal transport ridiculous - Big safe Lexus/Volvo/BMW/Range Rover 4 wheel drives complete with expensive personalised number plates for single person short local runs etc etc.
Absolutely true for some in the western world, but in the much larger rest of the world the bike is often very much an economic choice enforced by financial circumstances. For them that 29th reason I proposed is valid.

P.S. Just seen your edit. :)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Absolutely true for some in the western world, but in the much larger rest of the world the bike is often very much an economic choice enforced by financial circumstances. For them that 29th reason I proposed is valid.

P.S. Just seen your edit. :)
True, but the 28 Reasons to Bike is western (US). I'm sure the rest of the world is itching to "catch up". I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't want to be seen dead on a bicycle beause it implies they can't afford an expensive vehicle.

PS Before anyone says it I wouldn't want to be seen dead on a bicycle either:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
PS Before anyone says it I wouldn't want to be seen dead on a bicycle either:D
........:D.........

Some do though, there have been at least two bicycle trailer funerals in this country and I've got a photo of one of them somewhere.

Certainly a widespread Asian attitude is that cycling is demeaning and status is set by what one's transport is. Me, I just use what's best for each journey and have two cars and two e-bikes to fit all circumstances. :cool:

Environmental no. Enjoyable yes, and I don't feel a bit guilty. :)

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007

Me, I just use what's best for each journey and have two cars and two e-bikes to fit all circumstances. :cool:

when you have 2 cars and 2 e-bikes you have no option but to retire or you dont have time to keep stop them becoming rusty :rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

when you have 2 cars and 2 e-bikes you have no option but to retire or you dont have time to keep stop them becoming rusty :rolleyes:
I don't even bother to do that Keith. The town car that sits outside all the time is now a year and a quarter old and has never been washed, and the other car has only been washed once. I haven't washed either of the bikes for well over a year either, and in fact I can't ever remember washing one of them and I've owned it for three years. It doesn't worry me if they carry a bit of the environment around with them. :)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008

Me, I just use what's best for each journey and have two cars and two e-bikes to fit all circumstances. :cool:

Enjoyable Yes. Environmental Yes.

Nor should you - I believe your cars are relatively modest anyway and therefore relatively less damaging to the environment. The use of the Bikes for local journeys is also less damaging since much of the environmental damage appears to be done using cars for local journeys.
To be honest I don't think that much about the environment though I don't much like the idea of treating it with total contempt. I'm more interested in getting some cardiovascular exercise, some endomorphins and saving a few quid.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nor should you - I believe your cars are relatively modest anyway and therefore relatively less damaging to the environment.
Indeed, and my mileages are even more modest, barely 1000 miles each car per annum, the bikes doing about the same total.

Not long ago my annual car mileage was barely 400 and my cycling could top 5000, but as I get older it's time for taking it easy a bit more. :)

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
....although a rather dated study and based in the US, this report is still a usefull read...

28 Reasons to Bike
Thank you! I'd been looking for the increases house value references for ages!

Ps 'Increased social mobility' is the 'in phrase' for too poor not to. It also inlcudes too poor, too disabled, too young etc

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Ps 'Increased social mobility' is the 'in phrase' for too poor not to. It also inlcudes too poor, too disabled, too young etc
I've been trying to get the expensive boarding school I work for to to do their bit for socially mobility by offering NVQs in things like plumbing, hairdressing and beauty therapy instead of just trying to get the little darlings into Oxbridge. Why should it just be the poor who get to be socially mobile, that's not fair on the rich folk? :D

Patrick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why should it just be the poor who get to be socially mobile, that's not fair on the rich folk? :D

Patrick
I think many of the "rich folk" who went into banking are now experiencing social mobility, and there's a promise of thousands more to follow this year, so they are now getting their chance. :D

With large numbers of the "socially disadvantaged" going to "uni" (ex polytechnic) for media studies, things are a'changing. :rolleyes:

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
Silence isn't golden for everybody

I've noticed sheep don't like e-bikes.

A motorbike goes by and they don't even blink. I go by and they almost jump out of their fleeces. I guess it's because they don't hear us coming..

Maybe I should start whistling to warn them of my approach.

No, not wolf whistling.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've noticed sheep don't like e-bikes.

A motorbike goes by and they don't even blink. I go by and they almost jump out of their fleeces. I guess it's because they don't hear us coming..

Maybe I should start whistling to warn them of my approach.

No, not wolf whisting.
I've noticed this too Wibble, but roosting pigeons hate the whine of my hub motors and take off the moment I get close, despite ignoring all the noisier motor traffic.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Unfortunately it seems to rouse all farm collies into a wild frenzy too :eek: . I've had more than a few 'moments' with some of those darlings (one or two of them seem to lie in wait for me every time I go past and appear to enjoy frightening the living daylights out of me, just when I think I've sneaked by successfully :( )

Phil