2nd Hand Electric bike under £400?

Jowo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 29, 2015
Hi,

Might be able to stretch the budget.

I wasn't aware that the electric bike market was so diverse and mature - I can't cycle due to arthritic knees and I don't really want the expense of a petrol scooter so I wonder if an electric bike might do the trick.

I would appreciated some suggested models with good reputation and no issue with spare parts so I can do a more focussed search on ebay/gumtree - the choice is bewildering.

I am seeking a pedelec suitable for a 12 mile round commute with limited peddling (I have arthritic knees) and some modest hills. In fact, I'd quite like not to peddle at all....I won't be able to charge it at work and I live in Scotland something that won't struggle in the damp and cold would be nice.

My only other main criteria is that I can fit on a decent size pannier case (I have an ortlieb at the moment which would be nice to be able to reuse but obviously I can sell that on ebay and get a more suitable one).

A nice to have would be lightness - I have to lift it up and down either some stairs at the front of the house or a deep step up into the shed.

I like the idea of a folding bike but that's not a main criteria (in theory, it would be nice to take it into the office with me but in reality, we are crammed in like sardines and there is a bike shed outside anyway. Again in theory, it would be nice to take it on the train but one main point of buying it would be to save on train fares... ).

thanks for your time

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
Sorry, forgot to add that I am of fairly average female height (5 ft 6") and weight (10 stone)

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
And it doesn't need to be a 'female' style bike. Most of mine have been unisex.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Hi jowo

A folder with a throttle should do the job. Almost any 36volt 10 amp system would have the range. Infact the tesco hopper with its 24 volt system I think it is Pedelec and no throttle?
It's worth a look and at £380 new with club card points under budget for the bottom of the range and circa 15 mile range but go a little higher to £420 ish it for the hopper shopper it has a bigger battery and gears for an easy 20+ mile range.

Dave

O my god I didn't recommend whoosh???

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I hate to have to say it, but you'll be very lucky to find a bike that meets your requirements for that sort of money. I can tell you that the Woosh Big Bear LS will be perfect for what you want, but its £809. It's one of the few bikes that can take you along up some medium hills without pedalling. It's not light though. There's loads of used bikes on Ebay and Gumtree, but you never know how good the battery is.

Reactions: Jowo

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
I suspected my budget was optimistic.

My employer suspended the bike to work loan scheme and it doesn't get reinstated until the new financial year.

Nutmeg

Jan 23, 2015
I would be very wary of buying anything mechanical like an electric bike second hand, although the prices do look attractive. I suppose like cars, you can be lucky. But a used bike which has a dodgy battery is going to cost a couple of hundred pounds to replace.

My employer has never had a bike to work scheme. I may ask them if they can run one, but finances are very tight at the moment.

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
On reflection, I think a lightweight folding bike is a must-have rather than a nice-to-have, preferably one that comes with a decent pannier rack.

That way, I can probably lift it down the steps more easily and perhaps be able to take it into the gym, office or yoga studio, get it onto local trains and buses.

Point taken about battery life issues with second hand bikes - no cost saving there if I then have to shell out £200 or more for a new battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the woosh Gale may suit you. It has a 10AH battery, that gives about 25-30 miles on a full charge. It has a throttle so you pedal when you want to.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?gale

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's a very sensible carrier on the Woosh Gale. All too often small wheel folders have the carrier more forward where the heels when pedalling foul any panniers fitted.

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
Ah, that woosh looks just the ticket.

I noticed the Viking Harrier looks similar (not aware of reputation or reviews compared to Woosh) but it has less capacity (24v).

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
In theory, I can convert my existing mountain bike into an e-bike by buying a rear or front wheel 48v 500/1000w kit off ebay for around £200, one of which claims a top speed of 45 km/h...(downhill, with the wind behind me, and a brand new battery...?).

Is the reality that these are poor components that require frequent replacement as there are other kits for sale, twice that?

Also, I came across adverts on ebay for motorized petrol driven bicycles, one claiming to be 50cc (which if its anything like scooter laws, will go up to 28MPH). Who knew?! Expect these are subject to the usual motorcycle/scooter laws, not pedal bikes.

D

Deleted member 4366

In theory, I can convert my existing mountain bike into an e-bike by buying a rear or front wheel 48v 500/1000w kit off ebay for around £200, one of which claims a top speed of 45 km/h...(downhill, with the wind behind me, and a brand new battery...?).

Is the reality that these are poor components that require frequent replacement as there are other kits for sale, twice that?

Also, I came across adverts on ebay for motorized petrol driven bicycles, one claiming to be 50cc (which if its anything like scooter laws, will go up to 28MPH). Who knew?! Expect these are subject to the usual motorcycle/scooter laws, not pedal bikes.
Those kits are very heavy and you need big heavy batteries that you'll struggle to find a place to mount. They're normally pretty reliable, but your bike won't be very pleasant to ride. There are light-weight kits for your bike. They all need a bit of DIY and head scratching to fit.

The folding bikes are not really suitable for taking on a bus or train, nor for bringing into the office. They're still too big and heavy. Non-folding bikes are often lighter because they don't need such strong frames.

Those petrol motor kits will get your bike confiscated by the police.

There's not many electric bikes at the cheaper end of the scale that can get you around without much pedal effort unless you've got no hills. Most of the cheaper bikes have small, low-powered motors and small batteries.

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
OK, so I could keep my eye on the secondhand bikes that get resold on the Woosh website that come with warranties so that might save £100 or so.

But on the predictor wizard on the Woosh website, they recommended the Zephyr-CDN (rather than the Gale) due to the type of gradient/distance that I entered. With the greater cost of this bike and additional cost of a panner rack, this is even more financially challenging.

The Zephyr has a 36Volts 8AH Lithium battery and motor rated at 250W.

What do you think to my buying a Powerbyke Folder second hand for around £200-300 and then spending £200-250 on a replacement batttery of this type of power and capacity?

Example

https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/114-36v10ah-lifepo4-battery-38120-battery-pack-with-carrier-headway-battery.html

There is a thread on this forum where someone bought that model with flat batteries and was advised on how to replace/upgrade this model.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/assistance-required-used-powabyke.13984/

Jowo

Jan 29, 2015
Ah, the Mezzo sounds interesting, thanks. Lot of the nice design and functionality of the Brompton but without a tear-inducing price....

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Thanks John it's good to have backup.