36v to 48v Bafang BBS01 250watt

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I am generally happy with my two bafang BBS01 250watt powered ebikes, BUT i would like more horsepower. When i can afford it, I will get either a BBS02 750Watt or a BBSHD but both of those require 48 volt batteries. So can i upgrade my batteries to 48 volt now and run my BBS01's on them, or would that burn out the controllers? Or is it possible to upgrade the controllers so as to take the higher voltage. Any advice greatly appreciated especially from someone who has already done a similar upgrade.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No.
You will blow the 36v controller running @48v.

Tarka

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2019
I take it you have somewhere legal to use it?
I have a 48v bbso2 750 that I use on private land, with permission, that has no access to the public and quite honestly it's overpowered. Grip and handling give up well before the power.

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
I take it you have somewhere legal to use it?
I have a 48v bbso2 750 that I use on private land, with permission, that has no access to the public and quite honestly it's overpowered. Grip and handling give up well before the power.
People know about the legalities with the motors that are over 250w, tbh it's a crappy EU ruling that will hopefully be chucked out of the window once we get out of there.

• Agree
Reactions: MontyPAS and tommie

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
People know about the legalities with the motors that are over 250w, tbh it's a crappy EU ruling that will hopefully be chucked out of the window once we get out of there.
Sorry to disillusion you, But we aint going nowhere. Yes we might leave the EU in name, but in actuality we will still be tied to them forever, or until the EU collapses in on itself. I think there will be another referendum and they will fix it so we stay, They tried to fix it last time, but they underestimated the strength of feeling against the EU, they wont make the same mistake twice. And f**k them i'm going to get a BBSHD and not to use on private land.

Reactions: MontyPAS

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
Yeah they are scumbags that won’t respect the vote.

My point wasn’t to turn this into a debate about the eu though as there is already a thread for that, I was aiming towards ‘don’t lecture people on the law’

sparkysx

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2019
I bought a 250w 36v to dip my toe into ebikes, but that’s either going on my wife’s bike or my haro bmx and I’m going to get a bbshd for my bike, that was the plan I made and don’t regret buying the 250w bafang.

minexplorer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2017
Four Lanes,Cornwall
Sorry to disillusion you, But we aint going nowhere. Yes we might leave the EU in name, but in actuality we will still be tied to them forever, or until the EU collapses in on itself. I think there will be another referendum and they will fix it so we stay, They tried to fix it last time, but they underestimated the strength of feeling against the EU, they wont make the same mistake twice. And f**k them i'm going to get a BBSHD and not to use on private land.
like the attitude...was thundering along the road an hour ago at 35+mph on my bbshd. BUT also passing dog walkers and kids on a trail at walking pace. Im an adult and dont need a nanny state government dictating to me how and what bike to ride...oh and get a 52v for that bbshd.

25 yrs ago before the 1997 firearms act i used to be in a pistol club and had a .44magnum...enormous fun! something else the bas###ds stopped us doing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tommie

Marshall2389

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2020
I have the same desire as the OP; I want to attach 48 volt batteries to my BBS01b. Unfortunately, this discussion has been off topic.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have the same desire as the OP; I want to attach 48 volt batteries to my BBS01b. Unfortunately, this discussion has been off topic.
It's not a good idea. It works with hub-motors but not with crank ones. It'll increase the motor RPM by 33%, which will be above the level that you can comfortably pedal, and at your normal pedal speed, it won't be so efficient, which runs the risk of over-heating.

The 48v version has a bigger stator with thicker wire and is wound for the correct crank speed at 48v.

The best you can do is reprogram the current from 15A to 18A, which is the maximum that the plastic gear can take. That will give you a 20% increase in power and torque.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
#2 say's it all.

Marshall2389

Apr 13, 2020
It's not a good idea. It works with hub-motors but not with crank ones. It'll increase the motor RPM by 33%, which will be above the level that you can comfortably pedal, and at your normal pedal speed, it won't be so efficient, which runs the risk of over-heating.

The 48v version has a bigger stator with thicker wire and is wound for the correct crank speed at 48v.

The best you can do is reprogram the current from 15A to 18A, which is the maximum that the plastic gear can take. That will give you a 20% increase in power and torque.
I know. My BBS01b has it's max efficiency cadence at 80 rpm and no load cadence at 85 rpm. I use 155mm cranks and want to spin at 90 rpm regularly and 100 while climbing. The 48 volt BBS02 has max efficiency at around 110.

#2 say's it all.
I know the controller won't handle it. I was hoping someone know of a fix (swapping the MOSFETS on my controller, using a BBS02 controller, etc.)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It isn't the mosfets that need to be changed.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The 48v is just in another class, sell the 36v buy either version of the bbs02 48v you will not be disappointed the extra torque at 120nm is a revelation this the the way Bafang intended the motor to run
ps time you fiddle with the 36v motor [on endless spere a thread describes what needs to change ] the cost will not be far off a new one

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I know. My BBS01b has it's max efficiency cadence at 80 rpm and no load cadence at 85 rpm. I use 155mm cranks and want to spin at 90 rpm regularly and 100 while climbing. The 48 volt BBS02 has max efficiency at around 110.

I know the controller won't handle it. I was hoping someone know of a fix (swapping the MOSFETS on my controller, using a BBS02 controller, etc.)
I'm pretty sure that the 36v and 48v controllers are swappable. A guy on this forum swapped out the controller and the motor drive unit from a 48v version onto the 250v drive housing and reduction unit. The complete motor assemblies are the same except the 48v one has a wider motor. If you think the higher speed will work, good luck to you. Go ahead and try it. I say it'll be useless. Prove me wrong.

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Anything is possible if mods are made and one goes down that route.
Straight of the box 36v will pop with a 48v battery at least the older pre BBS01B did.

Last edited:

Marshall2389

Apr 13, 2020
Thank you so much @1boris! That's exactly what I've been looking for.