3E CityLight MK II Throttle Only Road Test

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
Really wanted to challenged our bike. so did another road test yesterday out of a blue. If anyone knows the terrain I was on, you can run the same route with your electric bike. Harrogate to Wetherby

Anyway , Here is the route in detail on google map

Mode : Throttle only.

Route: Harrogate to Wetherby and return 8.6 x 2 = 17.2 miles

Google map link"

Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG1 5DH, UK to Market Pl/A661 - Google Maps

Time: set off from harrogate at 18:25 , reach Wetherby market place at 19:12, sent a picture to my collegue while having a cigi, and get back to harrogate at 19:50 pm

Terrain : quite Hilly

Average time for single trip : 38 mins

Battery indication after the test: Low ( still going but less acceleration)

Anyone can share their throttle only test route? :)

Last edited:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Unfortuneately my Panasonic based bike does not have a throttle.

Nice looking bike though and the range looks good to me, but your web site is lacking a few details, e.g. these questions come to mind

- what is the motor? SB?
- what is the peak power?
- what frame sizes are available?
- what is the bike weight and battery weight?
- is the battery locked in place or can it be stolen easily?
- how do you remove the battery without removing the seat?
- what size is the chainwheel and rear cogs?

and the all important:
- how much is it?
- how much are replacement batteries?

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
Unfortuneately my Panasonic based bike does not have a throttle.

Nice looking bike though and the range looks good to me, but your web site is lacking a few details, e.g. these questions come to mind

- what is the motor? SB?
- what is the peak power?
- what frame sizes are available?
- what is the bike weight and battery weight?
- is the battery locked in place or can it be stolen easily?
- how do you remove the battery without removing the seat?
- what size is the chainwheel and rear cogs?

and the all important:
- how much is it?
- how much are replacement batteries?
Hi Tangent,
The motor is MD motor. I am not quite sure what you mean by SB...
Frame size 460mm (18')
Bike weight 23.5kg (including the battery) and battery weights 4.5kg
The battery is locked in place like every other electric bike. HOwever, need quick release of the seat. We have tried some of the seat that can bend over. but some of them rattles, hence dropped the idea.

Chain wheel 42 T rear cogs : 14-16-18-20-22-24-28

RRP 849 from only dealers.
replacement battery 299.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
SB = Suzhou Bafang (8fun motor)
Just a note: only the recent units are labelled "8-Fun", the old designs were not branded.
Cheers, Dan

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
The name 8 fun is an Anglicised way of saying "ba fang"

(Bā is Chinese for 8. Its also a lucky number in Chinese culture)

Suzhou is a place in South China where the motors are made, more precisely in the "Singapore Industry Park". There are a number of such "Singapore Industry Parks" across China and also Viet Nam, as you would expect they are funded by the Singapore companies and Government and students from SG go to CN on their work placements and work alongside their counterparts in these other countries.

I think they are now using 8FUN as the main brandname and also marketing their products in English as much as possible (this might be due to the Singapore influence...)

Suzhou Bafang Electric Motor Science-Technology Co.,Ltd

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
SB = Suzhou Bafang (8fun motor)
I see. I visited SB when I went back for chinese new year. I think they have good research team ...people who want to find out more about improving their motors..

But rumor says they have copied the design of MD ( Min da ) motor with the planetary gears. SB initially used metal gears, but due to noise, they now change to Nylon...which is much better even though it has question of its strength.

Just rumour, within chinese e-bike industry...haha but SB are now very good motors as they start partnership with a Controller company to produce hall sensorless motors..

frankie

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But rumor says they have copied the design of MD ( Min da ) motor with the planetary gears. SB initially used metal gears, but due to noise, they now change to Nylon...which is much better even though it has question of its strength.
SB have had nylon gears for at least five years, this one was an early 2006 motor:

motorgears.jpg

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
SB have had nylon gears for at least five years, this one was an early 2006 motor:

View attachment 1583
You seem to love SB motors...well they are good motors...you should come with me next time to see their production line...

Alot smaller than I thought the first time I went...Dont know about now...

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010

View attachment 1583
Yes another question to ask you flecc,

What is your opinion on battery mounting ? which is the best place?

back rack? water bottle mount or in frame...?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes another question to ask you flecc,

What is your opinion on battery mounting ? which is the best place?

back rack? water bottle mount or in frame...?
I've always favoured the least used option of just forward of the seat tube within the frame like the new Bosch system mounting shown below, second best anywhere within the frame triangle, third choice behind the seat tube like most e-bikes. I dislike all carrier mounted or seat tube mounted batteries. Water bottle mount is too weak for a large enough battery for most users. That said, my favourite position makes step-through impossible.

BOSCHeBike_Battery-Pack.jpg

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey the battery looks even bigger in that picture, looking increasingly like the next bike for me!:D

FrankieXu

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2010
I've always favoured the least used option of just forward of the seat tube within the frame like the new Bosch system mounting shown below, second best anywhere within the frame triangle, third choice behind the seat tube like most e-bikes. I dislike all carrier mounted or seat tube mounted batteries. Water bottle mount is too weak for a large enough battery for most users. That said, my favourite position makes step-through impossible.

View attachment 1584
Hi Flecc,

the bionx system, do they use the water bottle mount? I have had a look at their mount....a little awkward for me.

Battery mount like the bosch system, i agree, will not be suitable for step through..

I wish I would do a survey here...which one do you think people like the most?

1: Mounting in the front of seat tube (Bosch)
2: Panasonic mounting
3: Bionx mounting
4: Back carrier mounting

regards
Frankie

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
The problem with seat tube mounted batteries is that they generally make the use of a front dérailleur impossible, but I agree with Flecc in terms of weight distribution. I also think the Bosch solution is the most aesthetically pleasing.

The Cytronex/Bionx 'drink bottle' mounts make me think "so where would I put my drink!?":)

Last edited:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Hi Flecc,

the bionx system, do they use the water bottle mount? I have had a look at their mount....a little awkward for me.

Battery mount like the bosch system, i agree, will not be suitable for step through..

I wish I would do a survey here...which one do you think people like the most?

1: Mounting in the front of seat tube (Bosch)
2: Panasonic mounting
3: Bionx mounting
4: Back carrier mounting

regards
Frankie
I prefer the Panasonic mounting. Weight is low down, still allows step through design and the battery can be removed easily without having to mess about with the seat.

After that I would have thought that the back carrier mounting would be ideal, provided it does not get in the way of paniers and is not too heavy. I would be interested to know what people have against this position.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After that I would have thought that the back carrier mounting would be ideal, provided it does not get in the way of paniers and is not too heavy. I would be interested to know what people have against this position.
For the most part for myself it's that it adds more weight there. I carry quite high loads on the rear whenever possible in preference to a trailer with it's extra tyres drag. Therefore adding the battery as well is undesirable. Some designs also raise the height of pannier mountings which is undesirable.

A rear carrier battery is definitely undesirable on a rear hub-motor folder as well, since the frame geometry of these promotes wheelies anyway. Even with a battery in the usual eZee position ahead of the rear wheel it's a job to keep the front wheel down on my Quando based bike on a 1 in 4 hill, especially if starting off up a steep hill. I think it would get impossible with a carrier mounted battery making things worse. Probably ok with a front motor like the new Wisper folder.