40T Chainring from Precialps

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
Has anyone used this 40T chainring from Precialps, as opposed to the 42T item ? At the bottom of the ad it says

"Please note the use of this chainring requires touching up of around 1mm at the crankcase (see picture) " .......which sounds a bit iffy to me.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think the 40T is really pushing the limit on how small you can go and still achieve an offset. Which is why it looks like they are suggesting to shave a bit off the final drive cover.

I personally wouldn't use the 40T, coz there's too much scope for muck to get stuck at that point and jam the chainring.

I have used their 42T before, but found that it wasn't that robust, which is why I changed to a 42T Bling Ring.

Last edited:

cannon

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2019
I should have said I already I have a Precialp 42T on my FS MTB for about 1400 miles with no issues. It was the muck getting jammed part that was my concern and the thinner casing after filling. Very occasionally a piece of gravel gets trapped with the 42T item but it is easy to dislodge.
I'm about to build a second e-bike for pure road use so will be buying another "posh" chainring for this bike.

Re the Bling Ring being more durable, is this the Lekkie item? It appears to be made to the same material/finnish specs as the Precialp ??

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Re the Bling Ring being more durable, is this the Lekkie item? It appears to be made to the same material/finnish specs as the Precialp ??
Yeah, maybe it's just me, but the Lekkie Bling Ring appears to be lasting longer, although I have no concrete evidence to support my statement.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Lekkie make a 40T Bling Ring with a new drive cover for the BBS01/02 and HD if you don't like the filing option.

hellrider06

Just Joined
May 13, 2021
Hi, here's my own experience with 40T Precialps my RR720S couldn't implement a 42T.
1mm file carefully done is no problem, started with a file and ended with sandpaper using the chainring as sanding guide.
Chain line is perfect with smooth gear change.