Help! 48v controller will this work

jarrmar129

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2022
Happy Xmas all,
I have this 48-72v 60 amp controller with throttle and display kit (pics attached) If possible can i install this on my carrera crossfire ebike (older model without the frame bulge near battery) suntour hesc system
Any options, ideas you have will help me
I know there are voltage converters out there and I have thought about adding a 12v battery to the original 36v not sure what way to go as motor also 36v
So if your stuffed full of dinner the in-laws are driving you nuts and you have managed to escape for 10 mins (this is my current situation haha !!! ) please please help me out so i can spend boxing day tinkering with the bike and controller

Thank you

Attachments

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
The motor will not care what voltage you give it. 48v is pretty much the legal limit in the UK.
However 60A will probably be way too much with a danger of melting the windings. Not only that but your battery is unlikely to be able to supply such a high current. To do so the main battery (and it's supplementry 12v series battery) would need to have a maximum current capability of at least 70A.
Bit of a non-starter methinks.

jarrmar129

May 12, 2022
The motor will not care what voltage you give it. 48v is pretty much the legal limit in the UK.
However 60A will probably be way too much with a danger of melting the windings. Not only that but your battery is unlikely to be able to supply such a high current. To do so the main battery (and it's supplementry 12v series battery) would need to have a maximum current capability of at least 70A.
Bit of a non-starter methinks.
I bought it at boot fair, its brand new controller, display, throttle £30 got no instructions with it
so next step i suppose sell all the 36v bits then find a 48v motor and wheel and a 48v battery is that right anything i need to look for to use with this kit
thanks for the reply Benjamin

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I bought it at boot fair, its brand new controller, display, throttle £30 got no instructions with it
so next step i suppose sell all the 36v bits then find a 48v motor and wheel and a 48v battery is that right anything i need to look for to use with this kit
thanks for the reply Benjamin
You have the wrong bike. It has special drop-outs, so you have to use the Suntour motor or fabricate some adapters. That controller is unsuitable too. It's too powerful.

Reactions: jarrmar129

jarrmar129

May 12, 2022
thanks San looks like that controller is going on ebay then thanks for the reply