8 fun kit died last night on way home :(

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks to all for input and going me full story on stat rights, warranties and guarantees

Here is a photo of battery

D

Deleted member 4366

OK, We're starting to narrow down the problem. At the bottom of the battery are two pads. Switch it on and check the voltage there. I've only looked at two of these batteries and both of them had loose connections on the power leads in the battery and cradle, but both of them were cutting out intermittently and were the type with the controller in the base of the controller.

In that photo you showed of a switch and connector, is that the base of the battery?

Last edited by a moderator:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi d8veh, yes that is the battery base

I have tested the 4 pins but get nothing on the meter (which I tested for any "user" issues!)

The fuel gauge still light up fully

If it was a fuse would that remain on ?

D

Deleted member 4366

Isn't the fuse in the top of the battery near the key lock? The fuel gauge will still light up if the fuse is blown.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ok thanks , don't want to open if 8fun will help as void sticker will be broken

Hopefully I will get a response today

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes, it does seem a bit mean, but it's a DIY kit, and there's no saying how well it's been installed, so I can understand why. I think that the 8Fun guys are either the same or related to the old Sunlova lot, who I found to be always helpful when anyone had problems.
What I was trying to get at was that in this case, it may be something simple like water has caused a fuse to blow.
Electric Dave...actually it is the Sunlova people who failed to keep adequate spare batteries,the battery fitted to my Sport bike was identical to the battery on the Sunlova and many bought my batteries to keep their Sunlova's on the road.
KudosDave

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Well, Paul cao @ 8fun has responded asking me to send battery back so that's a good start(and a speedy reply)

It's a good customer service test if nothing else for anyone thinking of buying from them

Let's see

D

Deleted member 4366

The fuse is accessible from the outside. You just unscrew the round thing with a cross in it. A lot easier than sending the battery back!

Kudos Dave, when Sunlova were trading, they kept a supply of batteries, but then they stopped and changed over to 8Funbike.com. I think they changed premises too, so I'm not sure what happened or whether they're the same people, but, as far as I can figure out, there's a link somewhere between the two. I'm guessing that the people who bought your batteries couldn't find any trace of Sunlova, but, had they known about the changes, they could probably have still got them from the 8Fun guys.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hmm, don't recall seeing anything like that D8veh. Just little Phillips head screws which allow the black top section to be removed

I will check again when I get home, thanks for tip

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
What is that white button type thing on the battery, with the + on, is that not the fuse holder, does it not unscrew or push in slightly and turn out.?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Afraid not - just a push button for battery fuel gauge - like this

I should add that it is actually a yellow soft push button but I placed a small dab of leftover white sugru on it (yellow clashes with my cream paint and honey leather colour scheme. Sad but true)

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
is there nothing by the battery terminals.

Zebb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2012
Then I dont know, I would have thought they would put one on the battery, in case its fitted using a diy kit.
If there is a short somewhere it will create a big problem, even if there is no fuse on the kit or battery, I would advise you fit one when you sort this problem out, even a simple in line fuse holder would be ok. As close to the battery as possible.

Its not in the battery holder is it by chance.???

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks anyway , and good idea about the holder . I have checked now and def just the lock

No worries , thanks to all for trying. I shall send it back tomorrow.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So gutted :( new battery has died as well. Sudden failure about 6 miles in, on the flat , no strain at all

New battery has only done about 60 miles

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Tested the fuses - 2 x 15a blade fuses by sticking current from 3.6v CR123 across it. As it read 3.3 volts on both fuses I'm guessing they are not blown and not the problem

Could a short in the led panel cause the BMS to pack up ?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Did 8fun confirm your old battery was u/s before sending you the replacement?

If not, it might be wise to call them and find out because if it was not faulty it could be your charger that could be the problem.