8 fun kit died last night on way home :(

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks juicy

Thing is Paul at 8fun has said if the battery blows again due to me testing then he doesn't want to see it back again. Hence I'm sending the led panel and controller back. Still not convinced by that there isn't an jntermittent power cable short as d8veh suggests though

I'm sure I will get there with this in the end

Thanks

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Firstly I'm sorry this thread continues to bore.......

Secondly I tested the battery last night to make sure it blown. Got 41v so it seems just fine

However, it gives 41 regardless of switch position on the base

Paul says not to return it a they have none in stock

Bit that'd isn't seem right to me ? Shouldn't it read 0v if off ?

I guess I can wire in another switch

Any pitfalls in doing this ?

Thanks as ever

D

Deleted member 4366

Firstly I'm sorry this thread continues to bore.......

Secondly I tested the battery last night to make sure it blown. Got 41v so it seems just fine

However, it gives 41 regardless of switch position on the base

Paul says not to return it a they have none in stock

Bit that'd isn't seem right to me ? Shouldn't it read 0v if off ?

I guess I can wire in another switch

Any pitfalls in doing this ?

Thanks as ever
I'm wondering if your switch was faulty before, so they simply by-passed it. Alternatively, the switch switches the BMS on/off, so if the BMS was faulty, they might have by-passed it completely for output. You'd need to open up the case to see what's going on.

I doubt that your problem is anything to do with the battery. As I said before, you can bypass the panel to test if it's faulty. There's four wires that go to the panel. Sometimes they use two two-pin connectors and sometimes they use a single 4 way. The wires are black (0v), red (36v), green (PAS signal), blue or orange (36v return to the controller when you switch the panel on). So you only need to join the red and blue or orange, and then the controller will work if it's not faulty.

The problem is that you must have a short somewhere that caused the BMS problem. Without a watt-meter between your battery and controller, it's difficult to see what's going on. Alternatively, you can get an idea from a permanently connected voltmeter, so that you'd see the voltage dip when you connect if there's a short.

If your motor phase or hall wires are not connected properly, it can be similar to a short on the controller output, which usually blows the controller before the BMS, but you should check all those connections anyway.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Ahh, that's very helpful as I'd wager it is not a new battery and the BMS is bypassed. I shall check tonight

I shall also check the panel as you suggest. However , the pas is not connected just throttle and the panel has a selector switch to choose pas/throttle

Iif I do as you suggest how will the controller know I'm on throttle (default is pas when switched on and throttle is disabled in that mode)

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

Iif I do as you suggest how will the controller know I'm on throttle (default is pas when switched on and throttle is disabled in that mode)

Thanks
You'll have to try it to see, but I'm hoping that the default is throttle on. If you can, get someone to hold a voltmeter while you do this test. Any sharp drop in volts will indicate a problem, so stop if that happens.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hatti at whoosh has sold me a led panel (model 790) it is nearly but not quite the same as mine but i still thought worth a try especially given the friendly service and great price.

My old one looks like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365797596.868999.jpg

Note the switch button (pas vs throttle toggle)

The replacement looks
Like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365797666.965514.jpg

Same colour wires, in same configuration with even right connectors .

Plug in my old one and LEDs all flash like crazy - the age old problem . Plug in new one and all behaves as normal, mode button changes pass level - except the throttle won't work cos I cannot toggle it without a switch

Wires look like this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365797810.727880.jpg

I can randomly make the motor turn for a second if I hold throttle down and click on/off

Is there any way I can configure this panel to work and think throttle is toggled ?

Yours hopefully
Kirstin

D

Deleted member 4366

Is there any way I can configure this panel to work and think throttle is toggled ?

Yours hopefully
Kirstin
That's cleared up something. As far as I know, the panel sends some sort of data down the green wire, so you need the right code to operate the throttle. A KU65 from BMSBattery will sort you out for about £20. It comes with the panel as well.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Thanks d8veh - ku65 ordered . Even if 8 fun do send me a new one - a spare controller and panel is now essential kit as far as I'm concerned !

And, I wonder , could the signal in the green wire be as simple as a momentary break ? Might try when I get home this evening