8 to 12 magnet PAS

djah

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
Ireland
I’m looking to change my pas from 8 to 12 magnet one.
Can I simply change the disc with the magnets or do I need to replace the sensor part too?
The existing one has a waterproof connector which are quite a bit more expensive than the ones with a normal connector.
So I was just going to buy a cheaper 12 magnet one and just use the disc.
Would my existing sensor be compatible with a 12 magnet disc?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Thank you.
So, just changing the disc is fine? No need to change the sensor part?
No the sensor is the same in most cases. You might have to set 12 magnets in the configuration menu, I didn't bother and it worked, now it is set to 12 though.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Smooth running tends to be more down to the way the programming runs in the controller, which you can't do anything about on alot of bikes.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Don't waste your time and money. I bet you won't notice any difference, except that it might not work at all because some controllers don't like them. Why do you want to change it? Is it because your controller gives a delay? That won't change by using a different magnet disc.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it just me, or does anyone else get a sense of D8veh?, bless him:D
Funny you should say that, I have been thinking the same thing for a few weeks now. Possibly vfr was another alias ?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: danielrlee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I remember D8veh more then once referred to motor bike ownership and may have once mentioned the vfr so yes I think he has returned using the old alias.
No matter which name he posts under, welcome back :).

djah

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
Ireland
Don't waste your time and money. I bet you won't notice any difference, except that it might not work at all because some controllers don't like them. Why do you want to change it? Is it because your controller gives a delay? That won't change by using a different magnet disc.
Yeah. It’s because of the delay. Thought it would be worth a punt, only €4.
Thanks for the advice. No point if you think it won’t make any difference.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
More poles will as mentioned reduce rotation delay though depending on the controller settings may need tweaking if an lcd allows such as with KT's.
I replaced 12 pole disc one with a 10 pole one and didn't change the parameter for it and had a stuttering on/off delay with PAS/ hub sensing from the controller , after changing the parameter everything behaved as expected and no more issues.

• Agree
Reactions: danielrlee

djah

Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
Ireland
More poles will as mentioned reduce rotation delay though depending on the controller settings may need tweaking if an lcd allows such as with KT's.
I replaced 12 pole disc one with a 10 pole one and didn't change the parameter for it and had a stuttering on/off delay with PAS/ hub sensing from the controller , after changing the parameter everything behaved as expected and no more issues.
I’m using a kt-lcd3. Can you advise me on what parameters to change and to what value when changing from 8 to 12 magnets.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
C1 is the setting and value should be 2 for 12 pole disc, the 8 pole disc should be currently set at 0. Also you can adjust C14 for PAS signal strength 1 - 3 /weak to strong.
If you find that pas for some reason is a bit on/off and intermittent then try values 0 or 1 or check the sensor to disc gap is about 1mm and magnets are actually passing the sensor correctly.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
A bit of basic geometry will tell you that 12 magnets is going to give quicker start up than 8. One third quicker to be exact. It greatly improved my riding experience. A 10 magnet disk would also be a 20% improvement.

Once you are actually turning the pedals at normal cadence there is no difference to be felt (of you have the correct number of magnets set).