"8FUN Europe" 2.5kg kit

1967geezer

Pedelecer
Oct 9, 2009
Maidenhead, UK
8Fun Bicycle Motors

I stumbled upon a website a little while ago, at the time it was under construction so I bookmarked it for future reference.

I returned to it today, it is still under construction but something piqued my interest...

They're only tiny, but the pictures seem to show parts of a bafang kit, powered by a panasonic lithium battery. The blurb talks about zero noise, 2.5kg all-in weight, super freewheel built in, waterproof controller and so on.

Most of the links lead nowhere and there is even some lorum ipsum text in there... but if a 2.5kg bafang kit is in the pipeline I for one would be very interested.

Apparently they exhibited at Eurobike 2009, and I get the impression they are trying to team up with some of the big euro bike manufacturers, so maybe no kits for Joe Public??

(And I'm sure everyone knows about this site and kit already, it's probably old news etc etc. There is always someone who says "oh, yeah. Saw that site in 1927, yawn." ;) )

Chris.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cannot see a battery, motor, controller and associated kit weighing 2.5 kg.

Motor alone will weigh more then that, and battery if of any significant amperage more still. any kit must be 7-8 kg minimum I would fink

just looked at link and motors alone (5 in range) weigh between 2.8 and 3.4 kg

Last edited:

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
Cannot see a battery, motor, controller and associated kit weighing 2.5 kg.

Motor alone will weigh more then that, and battery if of any significant amperage more still. any kit must be 7-8 kg minimum I would fink
2.5kg, come on Eddio don't be naive, it's all a web publishing mistake, maybe they meant just a hub of 2.5kg

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not seen or known of before Chris.

Going through the links it does appear to be a Suzhou Bafang product, but I can't understand why they'd introduce it in Europe first before being used or marketed in China.

The site is too confusing to be sure about anything though.

Edit: Just seen the model designation QSWXB on that site. This has already been mentioned by Daniel Weck in previous postings about a Conhis motor, but it's motor is 3.1 kilos, not the 2.5 kilos mentioned here. This European site proposed model must be a new lightweight design which we haven't seen before, competition for the Tongxin.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
2.5kg, come on Eddio don't be naive, it's all a web publishing mistake, maybe they meant just a hub of 2.5kg
Or Chinese bullshit more like. Moi naive? OP maybe..........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it really is li-ion cobalt I'd be wary Chris. As the responses there indicate, that's old tech and potentially very dangerous, but some manufacturers might still be tempted by the small size, high current capability of that type. Mainstream e-bike manufacturers dropped these like hot coals around four years ago after many fires.

The pics mention "cobalt blend", so that could mean a compound cathode, but I'd certainly want to know more before buying.