8fun kit - prices reduced

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
These kits have been £420.99 for many months to my knowledge and there's £15 delivery on top.
Were they ever their claimed price of £699.99 ?....... Because I cant see anyone paying that.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Now not a bad price for a UK supplied kit complete with battery now it is difficult, but not impossible, to find Chinese battery suppliers.

To be honest I cannot imagine there will be much of a margin for the dealer.

Last edited:

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
It was the kit I bought a couple of months ago, I also paid this price.
Must admit I've been very happy with it and no problems at all so far. This kit fitted to my Carrera hybrid goes as well as any ebikes I've tested that were well over £1,000.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Now not a bad price for a UK supplied kit complete with battery now it is difficult, but not impossible, to find Chinese battery suppliers.

To be honest I cannot imagine there will be much of a margin for the dealer.
What makes you say that ? I'd have thought companies like green bike or BMS battery or seller marketplaces like aliexpress make finding a Chinese supplier easier than ever

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
What makes you say that ? I'd have thought companies like green bike or BMS battery or seller marketplaces like aliexpress make finding a Chinese supplier easier than ever
I did say "but not impossible"

As far as I am aware BMSbattery no longer offer combined battery/kits you have to order the battery separately and Greenbikekit have only 4 variations on offer, the current trend appears to be splitting the purchases as different shipping costs have to be applied because of the transportation restrictions.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Any problems with the kit in that time ?
The only failure in the 12 months warranty period was one of the brake inline cutouts switches: No big deal as t'other one is still going strong.

However, about a month out of warranty the bottle battery quite suddenly started showing symptoms of failure:
I was getting upto 30 miles without dropping to the red led; then 15 miles dropped it to 2 leds, whereon it cuts power when under load.

On checking the bms leads, it seems most groups of cells are down & a couple are very low :(

I think it's pretty much knackered.

I've just fitted a Cyclezee kit to my new bike & the difference in performance is huge - Just what I hoped from a £1000 kit.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
The only failure in the 12 months warranty period was one of the brake inline cutouts switches: No big deal as t'other one is still going strong.

However, about a month out of warranty the bottle battery quite suddenly started showing symptoms of failure:
I was getting upto 30 miles without dropping to the red led; then 15 miles dropped it to 2 leds, whereon it cuts power when under load.

On checking the bms leads, it seems most groups of cells are down & a couple are very low :(

I think it's pretty much knackered.

I've just fitted a Cyclezee kit to my new bike & the difference in performance is huge - Just what I hoped from a £1000 kit.
If I get a year outta the battery, i'll be reasonable happy. I only bought the kit as an experiment to see how i'd like an ebike and the 8fun kit was the cheapest option.
I've not fitted the pedal sensor or the brake cut outs, and just fitted the thumb throttle to keep it simple. So possible failure of those parts doesn't affect me.
One thing about the kits I like, is that the bike can be just turned back into its original push bike at any time.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
I would add that as an experiment its been a success so far and i'm really enjoying an ebike. The idea was that after a year i'd upgrade to a ready built ebike. But i'm still disillusioned with the high price of them.
The only ones I like are around £2K or more..... and i'm finding it hard to see the value for money in them. This is probably the only factor that could make me lose interest in ebikes.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
That's zackly the reason I went for the 8fun kit.

A year on, decided the ktm 48 volt panasonic powered 29er was the bike for me - but £2500 was over budget by some margin.

Bought a mint Trek Mamba, 3 months old, 29er from a bike mechanic in Plymouth & put one of John's kits on it: Added a speedict & a Suntour sp12 ncx seatpost & I have a Bently of a bike :p

My only reservation is that the bike is ****-heavy with the battery over the back wheel & I've had to be careful dismounting until I got used to it - The front wheel would lift just enough to rotate the bike & I was in the hedge :eek:

Unfortunately, the flatpack battery is, only just, too big to fit in the triangle.

C

Cyclezee

Unfortunately, the flatpack battery is, only just, too big to fit in the triangle.
Ah if only you had a bigger frame like this one the eZee 14Ah FP battery would fit a treat;)
Bottle mount bracket adapter for eZee FP battery by Grin Cyclery​
Ross_BattRail1_TN.jpg
eZee FP battery fitted​
Ross_BattRail2.jpg

Oh, by the way next year eZee will have their own down tube mounted batteries with a capacity of 13.2Ah and greater specifically for conversion kits and new full suspension bike they will be introducing.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
There's a hell of a lot of room in that frame triangle; unlike my bouncer

IMG_2013012722366.jpg

You'd be pushing it to get a bottle battery in that.

C

Cyclezee

There's a hell of a lot of room in that frame triangle; unlike my bouncer

View attachment 7317

You'd be pushing it to get a bottle battery in that.
It's difficult to see where you could put any battery on the bouncer Pete apart from in a backpack:confused:

I see you fitted some quality Aldi mudguards;)

Last weekend they were down to £2.99 in my local store, what a bargain:cool:

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Yuss... Space is at a premium on it; but It's so pretty I couldn't resist :p

I opted for a frog in the end & put some rockshox philo's onthe front when the usd's seized.

The Aldi specials have been knocked off that many times now, mostly when racking & transporting the bike, that the fittings have gone weak & drop off if I fart :rolleyes: