A brief visit to Wells next the Sea with the Cyclamatic folder

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Seeing as the weather is going to take a dive I decided to take a drive down to Wells next the Sea on the North Norfolk coast with the folder in the back of the car. Anne wasn`t feeling too well so it was a solo outing.
Should have lifted the camera angle a touch but you live and learn:D There is no doubt that the Cyclamatic folder is not a commuting bike and this was my first mobile outing but it worked out just fine and having the freedom of parking just away from the madhouse was a bonus and I really enjoyed the experience.

part 1 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 2 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 3 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 4 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 5 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 6 YouTube - Wells next the sea

Dave

Kwackerman(Andy) just pointed out that in combination with his car his journey on the folder alone is around 8 miles each way and thus the Cyclamatic folder is doing a reasonable commuting distance for him with no problems. So my statement above "Cyclamatic folder is not a commuting bike " isn`t strictly true and I stand corrected in his case where the bike needs to share the journey partly with his car. Having said that it would not be my first choice for a from home 16 mile round trip to work every day but where a good part of the journey needs to be by car then the options do get smaller and a rear bike rack for a full size e bike would be the only other serious option in my opinion.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's great Dave, I always think that's the best use for e-folders, carried in the boot for use at the other end. It's something I do with my Q-bike at times, using it down in Dorset and around the Ashdown Forest lanes.

I remember sleeping on the beach at Wells for a couple of nights in a fine week when I was gypsying around the country in 1973 which I took as a sabbatical year off work. Comfortable, very fine sand, as good as any mattress! :)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
That's great Dave, I always think that's the best use for e-folders, carried in the boot for use at the other end. It's something I do with my Q-bike at times, using it down in Dorset and around the Ashdown Forest lanes.

I remember sleeping on the beach at Wells for a couple of nights in a fine week when I was gypsying around the country in 1973 which I took as a sabbatical year off work. Comfortable, very fine sand, as good as any mattress! :)
Yeh! first time I`ve taken it out in the car and it was great and as you say Tony it is the perfect way to use a folder. You don`t get looked at much and can just get on and enjoy the ride.

so! you were once a beach bum:D

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Great vids throughly enjoyed the tour around a lovely wee coastal village. That's one thing I'm quite looking forward to is putting the folder in the jeep and using it when we are away in the caravan :D

Phil_P

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2010
Nice vids Dave......

A little windy today on the east coast....I had a trip to winterton on my folder and it was quite difficult at times with the wind blowing across the fields.

You are a far braver man than me....I couldn`t manage such heavy pedestrian traffic.

happy days
Phil

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
I wondered where abouts you film stars recided.now I know!Good videos thanks!

Wells next the Sea, Norfolk - Wells-Next-The-Sea Visitors Guide - holiday accommodation, hotels, cottages, bed and breakfast, guest houses, camping, caravan sites, restaurants, facilities, directions - Wells Next The Sea, Norfolk, UK.

Seeing as the weather is going to take a dive I decided to take a drive down to Wells next the Sea on the North Norfolk coast with the folder in the back of the car. Anne wasn`t feeling too well so it was a solo outing.
Should have lifted the camera angle a touch but you live and learn:D There is no doubt that the Cyclamatic folder is not a commuting bike and this was my first mobile outing but it worked out just fine and having the freedom of parking just away from the madhouse was a bonus and I really enjoyed the experience.

part 1 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 2 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 3 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 4 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 5 YouTube - Wells next the sea

part 6 YouTube - Wells next the sea

Dave

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
An excellent and most enjoyable video Dave. You have probably done wonders for the sale of folders. Spill the beans on how you mounted your camera !

John S

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
An excellent and most enjoyable video Dave. You have probably done wonders for the sale of folders. Spill the beans on how you mounted your camera !

John S
Hiya John

thanks for the compliment

First I mount the camera on one of these Sima | Mini Video Prop Chest Support | SVP3 | B&H Photo Video (available somewhere in the UK)
lengthen the straps and then put a bungie higher up and around my chest to keep the top more in line and then zip up my outer jacket to just below the lens:D fix a bit of foam over the mike to cut down on wind noise.

Need to sort out a better top support to hold the camera more steady and should really shoot in a lower res than HD and get away from the 16.9 aspect to get more of the top area in. But, it`s all good fun:D

Dave

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
Yes it does look good fun Dave. Presumably you tried and discounted the option of mounting the camera on the bike which would have been the easiest fix but I can imagine that vibration and excessive movement would be an issue.

Anyway thanks for revealing your solution Dave - I shall look forward to seeing the next video in the series. In fact if you don't mind perhaps you could do a new video each week - that way it will save me having to buy a folder :D

John S

Dynamic Position

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2009
Another enjoyable cycle run without leaving home.:D
These folding e-bikes look very useful. I look forward to your next video.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Great video, it's back to winter here so a trip to the seaside is just the tonic.:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yes it does look good fun Dave. Presumably you tried and discounted the option of mounting the camera on the bike which would have been the easiest fix but I can imagine that vibration and excessive movement would be an issue.

Anyway thanks for revealing your solution Dave - I shall look forward to seeing the next video in the series. In fact if you don't mind perhaps you could do a new video each week - that way it will save me having to buy a folder :D

John S
To be honest John, one of the other members here (Stumpi) sent me a handlebar mount for the camera and I will be trying it soon but I`m just a bit worried that the amount of vibration on our rubbish roads might damage my camera. I`ll let you know.

Dave

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
Dave, just done a quick Google on camera handlebar mounts and there's quite a lot of interesting ideas. I have a small workshop so I may see what I can fabricate. As you say one concern is potential damage to the camera through vibration quite apart from the effect on smoothness of image.

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure there are a number of us who would like to give this a try. You realise you've started something now !

John S

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Dave, just done a quick Google on camera handlebar mounts and there's quite a lot of interesting ideas. I have a small workshop so I may see what I can fabricate. As you say one concern is potential damage to the camera through vibration quite apart from the effect on smoothness of image.

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure there are a number of us who would like to give this a try. You realise you've started something now !

John S
I have several cameras that can shoot video the best of which is a Canon 5Dmk2 and the videos from that are superb but it would have to be something very specially made for me to mount that on the bike:D With the right harness I think I could handle it on my chest. The big problem with the LX3 is the exposure isn`t always top notch. Maybe I should fit a kit to a tandem and get the wife to shoot them over my shoulder:)

kwackerman

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2010
Hi Old Timer,

I note in your post that you don't consider the Cyclamatic folder suitable for commuting. Considering you did actually recommend it to me knowing I would be using it for commuting I wondered what has changed your mind?

I have now been using mine for about a month for a 15/16 mile round trip commute and it seems to be coping with my demands very well.

I don't expect it to last forever and at the price I paid its probably best to just buy a new one every 12 months or so rather than worry about replacing the batteries and dealing with worn out components. I will let you know if I start to suffer any reliability issues.

Regards
Andy

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Hi Old Timer,

I note in your post that you don't consider the Cyclamatic folder suitable for commuting. Considering you did actually recommend it to me knowing I would be using it for commuting I wondered what has changed your mind?

I have now been using mine for about a month for a 15/16 mile round trip commute and it seems to be coping with my demands very well.

I don't expect it to last forever and at the price I paid its probably best to just buy a new one every 12 months or so rather than worry about replacing the batteries and dealing with worn out components. I will let you know if I start to suffer any reliability issues.

Regards
Andy
Andy

Hiya. Yeh! I remember. Maybe I should have been more specific. I spend a fair amount of time on another bike forum where commuting normally means 20-25 miles each way and that was probably what i was thinking of.
With hindsight I suppose that commuting can actually be 1 mile each way to and from work so yes I should have been specific. I`ll go back and edit that post so as to make it more clear what I mean.To be fair though your situation was a tad different because you stated that the new bike more or less had to share the journey with your car and that IMHO put you into the realms of the folder period.(or a decent rear rack)

Anyway, I`m glad that it`s working out for you and it is a decent little bike for sure. When we go out on ours around the lanes we cover something like your journey so I just consider ours as leisure bikes. How are you finding the comfort? we find ours spot on.
Are you still running the supplied front chainring/crank? if you go up to 55or 57T you`ll see just how it will become more of a bike that can eat away at the miles.You need to get a new crank with interchangeable rings , can pick up new cranks for around £20 and then shop around for a larger chainring. The standard gearing is so low that with a 55T combined with the small wheels the bottom gear is still plenty low enough for most hills and riding against the wind.

From memory I think your total one way journey is around 25miles(if i remember correctly) not sure what your age is but if you ever get a chance to take a test ride on something like the 14amp Wisper or similar you might well decide to go full E bike commute during the summer months:eek:

Take Care and consider that chainring upgrade, it`s worth it.

Dave