A future way to charge your e-bike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hyundai under its electric sub brand Ioniq has launched a new model the Ioniq 5, which includes the following:

Another exciting feature is the vehicle-to-load (V2L) charging, which allows the IONIQ 5 to act as a charger. This means you can charge any electric device, such as electric bicycles, scooters or camping equipment. The V2L function can supply up to 3.6 kW of power. The V2L port is located under the second-row seats, and it can be activated when a vehicle is on. Another V2L port is located at the charging port on the vehicle exterior. Using a converter, customers can charge high-power electric equipment.

With e-cars majoring on new features I can see this spreading to other makes, giving many possibilities for cadging a change in car parks, beauty spots etc., since the amount your e-bike will use will scarcely dent the average e-car's battery content.

If you want to see more about the Ioniq 5, here's the link

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh and LeighPing

Nosweat

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2019
Went camping once and mobile phone battery died in the evening. So plugged it into the ciggies lighter charger socket of the car and left key in ignition in the "half on" position so the charger would remain powered. Being a remote location I didn't expect the car would move overnight.

It didn't move next day either. Phone was on 100% but car battery was dead and car wouldn't start!

Reactions: pentiumofborg

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
With e-cars majoring on new features I can see this spreading to other makes, giving many possibilities for cadging a change in car parks, beauty spots etc., since the amount your e-bike will use will scarcely dent the average e-car's battery content.
agreed.
I'd like to see government support for using such facility as feed-in to the electricity distribution network when you don't need the car for the day.

D

Deleted member 33385

Went camping once and mobile phone battery died in the evening. So plugged it into the ciggies lighter charger socket of the car and left key in ignition in the "half on" position so the charger would remain powered. Being a remote location I didn't expect the car would move overnight.

It didn't move next day either. Phone was on 100% but car battery was dead and car wouldn't start!

Was it an extremely small car or a very very large iPhone?

Reactions: flash
D

Deleted member 33385

If that sort of vehicle became popular, unscrupulous ebikers could pick locks to siphon off juice and go marauding all over the country for free.

I'd like to see supercapacitor cars and ebikes get progressively charged while passing over wireless charging pads embedded under road tarmac, but it's probably too wasteful. You'd only need enough charge to get onto the road and down a ways, then the road would power you till you ran out of road...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
agreed.
I'd like to see government support for using such facility as feed-in to the electricity distribution network when you don't need the car for the day.
The government has said this is an intention.

One large trial has already started, you can read about it on this link

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If that sort of vehicle became popular, unscrupulous ebikers could pick locks to siphon off juice and go marauding all over the country for free.
Not possible though, no external locks involved. The charge point flaps are internally latched and even if forced open the charge point won't deliver or receive current until authorised by the car key holder.

I'd like to see supercapacitor cars and ebikes get progressively charged while passing over wireless charging pads embedded under road tarmac, but it's probably too wasteful. You'd only need enough charge to get onto the road and down a ways, then the road would power you till you ran out of road...
Yes, far too wasteful. Batteries and to a limited extent fuel cells are the way to go for several decades yet. E-car batteries have far too important a future for all of us to be replaced for a very long time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

E-car batteries have far too important a future for all

I completely agree with you. The UK could become very cold indeed:

...although... supercapacitors will eventually become useful for more than short-term storage:

Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
...although... supercapacitors will eventually become useful for more than short-term storage:
I can see an indiegogo project about supercapacitor powered e-bike very soon...

or not. The cost of supercapacitors is prohibitive for a very long time to come.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 33385

I can see an indiegogo project about supercapacitor powered e-bike very soon...

or not. The cost of supercapacitors is prohibitive for a very long time to come.

When made viable by industry giants like Samsung, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries etc. they'll be seen in phones and laptops first, then we'll get our hands on the cells...