A hill to far!

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Like many on here I got an e-bike to get fit in my older years (late 60's), my part of Derbyshire is like living in a large egg box non stop hills. I was advised to start gently, and gradually expand my mileage which I've done now up to 7-10 miles per day. A few days ago after four & half miles I decided it was time to turn back just as many hills on the return journey however their was a particularly large hill that I've not been up before so I went for it ( mistake ) about one third from the top I was knackered, but being a stubborn fool I kept going & made it to the top. The journey home was a nightmare, and I was so exhausted I felt really ill for some hours. So guys & gals know your limit if your on older returning cyclist like me, atb, Mike.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Sounds like you need to engage the motor..

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I intended it to be a joke, I have also suffered the hills. It is hilly here, I am close to the Derbyshire border so not much difference between us. I find a lower gear and petal faster then I feel is natural for me seems to help.
Having a mid motor means the gears will multiply the torque but only if the cadence rate is up.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Mijak, what bike?
That hill will one day be a lot easier, as you cycle you strength will improve.
Although I prefer a comment I once read about unassisted cycling, the hills don't get easier you just go up them faster :)

Reactions: mijak and 103Alex1

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Like many on here I got an e-bike to get fit in my older years (late 60's), my part of Derbyshire is like living in a large egg box non stop hills. I was advised to start gently, and gradually expand my mileage which I've done now up to 7-10 miles per day. A few days ago after four & half miles I decided it was time to turn back just as many hills on the return journey however their was a particularly large hill that I've not been up before so I went for it ( mistake ) about one third from the top I was knackered, but being a stubborn fool I kept going & made it to the top. The journey home was a nightmare, and I was so exhausted I felt really ill for some hours. So guys & gals know your limit if your on older returning cyclist like me, atb, Mike.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I and 70 but started riding again on none powered bikes at first I thought I was going to die. I may have done for what notice people take, but it does seem to improve. With continued use it does get easier, take it steady, easy does it. With time it will improve.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
being a stubborn fool I kept going & made it to the top
I know that feeling!
Sounds like maybe you could do with a lower gear so you can pedal faster but with less strain, if you post more details of your bike on here you'll get advice on how to achieve this.

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Thanks for all your comments tongue in cheek, and otherwise. that very steep hill I did drop into the lowest gear, and was twiddling madly, but as I neared the top where it got even much steeper I slowed down dramatically, and only just made it. That is the only time I have used the lowest gear.
Although the bike only has 4 gears I think they will be adequate for the most part, this hill is exceptional, and in time my improved fitness will allow me to scale this hill without to much problem. The gears are Shimano , but appear to be copies of the old Sturmey-Archer gears so not much opportunity to change them though I do not feel the need this is my starter e-bike, and if all goes well I will up grade in time. Embarrassingly years ago I used to race bikes & specialize in hilly circuits. Mike.:oops::rolleyes:

Reactions: 103Alex1

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Although the bike only has 4 gears I think they will be adequate for the most part, this hill is exceptional, and in time my improved fitness will allow me to scale this hill without to much problem. The gears are Shimano , but appear to be copies of the old Sturmey-Archer gears so not much opportunity to change them though I do not feel the need this is my starter e-bike, and if all goes well I will up grade in time.
The discontinued 4 speed Shimano hub gear had a very narrow range, no more than their 3 speed hub at just 198%, so that won't help matters. Their next one up on the 3 speed now is the 8 speed with 306% range, making available much lower low gears.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
years ago I used to race bikes & specialize in hilly circuits. Mike.:oops::rolleyes:
Nothing to be embarrassed about but how things change, I remember as a youngster having only 3 gears and getting up most of the Pennine hills around my home.
Now I have 27 close ratio gears which means I always have the perfect gear for the incline but a few of the hills would certainly defeat my dodgy knee without help.
Mine was a leap into the unknown, I also considered it as a starting point and whilst the electric kit does exactly what I want, I ended up getting a new bike to fit it to.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
this hill is exceptional, and in time my improved fitness will allow me to scale this hill without to much problem.
You should stop feeling sick and like death is imminent after a couple more attempts (I had a taste of it earlier in the week with a very nasty hill I was taking on fine at a decent pace only last June & September). It's frightening how fast you go out of condition when you stop riding even for a matter of a few weeks. Starting up again after years off is bound to be even more so.

But the body does adjust - like anything, incremental additions to what's attempted rather than trying to take on the world because there's a motor giving a bit of help probably best. A steep hill is still a steep hill, motor or not, and apart from in the case of 'low-powered moped' category bikes will still be a struggle on an eBike if you are physically out of condition. That'll come back soon enough :).

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I restarted biking again after a fifty year break. They told me it would get easier, ten years later & I think they lied.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
There comes a point in life, usually age related, when things only get harder.
I feel fortunate that for me it's taken a while, some folk haven't been so lucky.
Never give up but accept your limitations with good grace.:)

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
The Shimano 4 speed is all higher ratios from memory low is 1 to 1 and from there it goes up, not ideal for hilly terrain.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I came out of a junction and saw a bike that had just come up a long steep hill. So to show off, I increased the power and rode as hard as I could to get away from him. Just as I was going to look behind to see how much I had gained, he came passed. I had hoped I could have shown the lycra lads a thing or two, perhaps a double 'S' class bike is called for.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
The Shimano 4 speed is all higher ratios from memory low is 1 to 1 and from there it goes up, not ideal for hilly terrain.
I just checked my nexus 4, and Geebee's statement is true for me. In 4th its about 11:6 (ish, its raining so I only checked quickly)

I really like mine, and find that I rarely use the lowest gear, and can't keep up past about 18mph.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Indeed, the Shimano 4 speed ratios were:

1.00 (1st), 1.244 (2nd), 1.50 (3rd), 1.843 (4th)

so a very narrow range. The trigger for discontinuation was failures on the crank drive Lafree bikes under combined rider and motor loading, but since it's gear range was less than their 200% 3 speed, it added little to the product range.

mijak

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2014
ilkeston, Derbyshire.
Its been a while since a hill to far i'm still using my bike daily (weather permitting) my fitness is now much improved,my blood pressure dropped to about normal levels:), and whilst using my leccie bike mostly i have also started using my ordinary bike an 18 gear Hybrid once or twice a week on the less hilly routes so i'm happy that i am making some progress. Mike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As someone else has remarked, the older one gets, the more rapidly we lose fitness. So it's important to snatch any chance of a little cycling during bad weather periods and the winter to avoid having to go through the painful process again.