A Level DT project trouble

harry_scola

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2008
Hi everyone,
Im new to the site and have signed up so that I could get some help with my project :)

Im doing an A level project with requires me to design and manufacture an electric bike.

So far I have built some of the frame and suspension but cannot get the wheel to run.

I was given the wheel from PowaByke along with a controller but I have no idea how to wire it up etc.

I have some pitures of them but their file size is too big to upload?!?

Any ideas?

Cheers
Harry

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Harry

Welcome to the forum. I can't help you with your technical queries I'm afraid but there are others here who'll be able to. If you're having trouble uploading the images, I can think of a couple of things that may help. You could open an account with Flickr, upload your images there and they will then automatically be re-sized, so you could then link to them in a post here. Alternatively, you could download some free software like Picasa so that you could re-size the images on your own computer.

I hope that helps, and good luck with the project.

Cheers
Nick

harry_scola

Oct 13, 2008
Thanks for that Nick.
Ive attatched some pictures of the wheel and the controller. The wheel has 5 more smaller wires (black, red, yellow, blue, green).

Any help on how to wire this up would be great.

Harry

Attachments

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Strewth!

Lets see if we can make a start!

In the photo "wires.jpg", starting from the right:

first one under your forefinger, not sure.

2nd, the block connector goes to the 5 THIN hall effect wires hanging out of the motor, match colour to colour.

3rd, red = battery positive (36 volts DC)

4th, black = battery negative

5th, the three phase wires under your index finger to the THICK blue, green, yellow phase wires hanging out of the wheel. match colour to colour.

Now, the remaining wires are for throttle, pedelec sensor on the bottom bracket, brake lever cutoff switches, and probably the battery charge state LED's. Trouble is, I dont know which is which, and that Harry, is all I can help you with.

Any more ideas guys?

Bob

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
A bit more

Additional to above.

The motor should run if you connect the following as described above.

The five THIN wires from the wheel to the five wire block connector on the controller. match colour to colour

The three THICK phase wires YELLOW, GREEN, BLUE from the wheel to the three THICK wires of the same colour on the controller.(under your index finger) Match colour to colour

The THICK black wire on the controller to battery negative

The THICK red wire on the controller to battery positive (36 volts DC)

All you need then is to figure out which wires to connect to the throttle.

If you can find this connection, the motor should run under throttle control.

The pedelec sensor does NOT need to be connected for the motor to run on the throttle.

You needn't worry about connecting the brake lever cutoff switches as the motor will run on the throttle without them.

If the battery voltage is below 31.5 volts, the controller will cut the power to the motor (make sure the battery is fully charged, around 36 to 41 volts).

Have fun

Bob

harry_scola

Oct 13, 2008
Cheers for that guys. I havent had a chance to try what you have said yet.

However, the throttle is already connected (it was sent to me like that) . Do you think it was connected incorrectly and that is why it does not work?

Will i need all the dials, etc for the wheel to run?

Also, what does the 'SP' button on the controller mean?

Thanks guys

Harry

harry_scola

Oct 13, 2008
Ive been on the phone/email to loads of bike companies now and the general feeling that Im getting back is that the trottle not wired correctly or that the controller and wheel dont match. Is there anyone in the local area that could come and have a look at it for me as the companies are all very far away.
I live in Surrey near Croydon/Sutton
Thanks a lot guys/gals

Harry

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Harry, shouldn't you be having a go at working this out for yourself?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Harry, you could check with CycleKing, 30 Brighton Road, Croydon to see if they can help with advice as they are the local Powabyke dealer. They won't come out to you of course but may be able to put you on the right lines.

Its a a large double shop just south of Warham Road traffic lights and on the Warham Road side.

020 8649 9002

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
The SP button looks similar to that from an old Powabyke City Bike. When pressed it puts the bike into cruise control so you do not need the throttle.

The various wires will relate to a front light, rear light, rear brake light, brake cut off on both left and right hand levers, throttle, and battery contacts. It could be worth contacting Berni from Bikes and Batterys - 01780 471 010 who now taken over the City Bikes and has spares and hopefully wiring diagrams.

Regards

FrankC

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Also, from memory the City bike was a twist and go so there would be no sensors.

harry_scola

Oct 13, 2008
Hi again...
Well im at the stage of just giving up... does anyone know where I can find a second hand electric bike other than Ebay or Gumtree?
I rang one company and they said it didnt work because I dont have a "pedal system"??
Any ideas?

Cheers all
Harry