A new Electric Bike - but which one???

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
We care!

I hate to be immodest.... but I think that the biggest advantage of buying a Wisper bike is the fact that we really care about both our customers and our bikes.

We are not perfect by any means but we try as hard as possible to get things right, if and when things go wrong we sort out problems as quickly and efficiently as possible.

The bikes are very good too!

Best regards David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Anybody going to let the rest of us into the secret about the "biggest advantages" of Wisper bikes?
The biggest advantages are that however happy you are with your ownership, you'll know that there's still more advantages you don't know about yet. :D

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thats so cryptic flecc! Enigmatic in fact! :D

I remember wondering about the 'advantages' at the time: to put it in context for newer members Wisper, who were fairly new on the scene, appeared to be trying to position their products to compete directly with the Ezee Torq (I think thats fair to say?), and so two possible advantages in that context might be the rear-hub motor and normal motor gearing for 15mph (with good power output), although I think before long they introduced a high capacity (and hence less likely to suffer cut-outs) 14Ah 36V lithium battery, that at a time when Ezee were suffering lithium troubles, and shortly afterwards the price & unavailability of the alternative NiMH batteries increased.

So thats some of the background, and some possibilities... but be warned, things are rarely that simple with flecc... :D

I'd still like to know and if anyone wants to say, Wisper included, you have a captive audience! Though I would think these advantages must have been been promoted since then so, as ever with flecc, the answers are probably staring us in the face, if only we could see it! :D

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thats so cryptic flecc! Enigmatic in fact! :D

I remember wondering about the 'advantages' at the time: to put it in context for newer members Wisper, who were fairly new on the scene, appeared to be trying to position their products to compete directly with the Ezee Torq (I think thats fair to say?), and so two possible advantages in that context might be the rear-hub motor and normal motor gearing for 15mph (with good power output), although I think before long they introduced a high capacity (and hence less likely to suffer cut-outs) 14Ah 36V lithium battery, that at a time when Ezee were suffering lithium troubles, and shortly afterwards the price & unavailability of the alternative NiMH batteries increased.

So thats some of the background, and some possibilities... but be warned, things are rarely that simple with flecc... :D

I'd still like to know and if anyone wants to say, Wisper included, you have a captive audience! Though I would think these advantages must have been been promoted since then so, as ever with flecc, the answers are probably staring us in the face, if only we could see it! :D

Stuart.
I think I'd agree with your summary Stuart. Wisper did indeed look at positioning the 905se against the Torq, but being aware of the downsides of that have positioned their bike at a median point, better hill climbing and range, but still with the attraction of some higher speed availability. I think it's turned out to be a better way, and the fact that eZee have turned their Torq 2 almost into a Wisper 905 (15 mph, sprung forks, disc brake) tends to indicate they agree. They still haven't moved the motor to the rear wheel, but of course I've done that for them on my T bike.

As for the secret advantage, if I revealed it, the future owners would lose the benefit of knowing that however satisfied they were, there were still more advantages they didn't know about, so the secret advantages would no longer exist and they wouldn't be so happy with having more to look forward to, since there wouldn't be anything more. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Whatever it is it is a beauty to ride at cruising speed. Thanks for any input you had to that Flecc you wise old owl :D
The credit belongs to David and Doug of Wisper and Dick Lai and company at WEVCO. Input from me was minimal.

MB1

Just Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Try Cytronex Perhaps

Hi

Like you, I am new to this and have found the various threads extremely helpful in deciding what to purchase.

Being over 50 ( the exact age shall remain a closely guarded secret)
and pretty unfit though not over weight and living in Bristol (Notorious for its hills) I recently had my Marin urban bike stolen which my son had borrowed to revise at the central library.

So then came the decision what to buy !

I had looked at electric assisted bikes about 5 years ago and decided the battery technology wasn't there yet, but I was pleasantly suprised to find (through these pages) that things had moved on a bit.

Having looked at various models I was coming to the point that they where all far too heavy and many of them left a lot to be desired in the design department.

By that I mean how they performed and indeed looked.

The advent of the Mountain Bike 15/20 years ago helped a huge way to make owning a bike sexy.

If we are going to get people out of there cars and onto bikes ( me included) especially in places like Bristol then not only the technology has to be right but visual appeal must be there as well.

Through these pages I came across references to Cytronex and here seemed to be the answer for me ! .

A standard middle market Trek urban bike with the required bits added and some clever design touches ,like the battery and how it was dealt with.

The bike is relatively light and has the option (once I have my Cycling legs back ) to use the motor hub front wheel or indeed a standard front wheel .

I have a choice !!

Having said that , it's just so much fun as it is.

Anyway worth a look,................ I did ,and bought one.

Cheers

bluevalentine

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 24, 2008
Decisions, decisions...

Well I've been, in the past six weeks, through the whole process of choosing and buying an e-bike.
Started off by trying the whole Urban Mover range which impressed me with the potential of electric biking and convinced me of the practicality. Unfortunately, I probably have an exaggerated regards for aesthetics and technology and the bikes didn't do it for me.
Then on to greenmachines. Tried a folder, never ridden one before and it wasn't quite as beastly as I expected. Quite liked a big heavy old banger called, wierdly, the Prima Light, which I liked for its substantial moped-like looks and feel. I didn't like it for its substantial 70 lbs plus lead acid battery, though. The late Uffa Fox, designer of exquisite boats, remarked that "weight, as such, is only appropriate to designers of steamrollers" and he got it dead right!
Looked at a Wisper. Liked the Agattu, too. Nearly, oh so nearly fell and I still don't know why I didn't.
A few others, anonymous makes mostly, fell by the wayside. Why is it so many e-bike makers use crap original equipment? Cut-price naff gears, bendy cranks, lousy brakes etc?
Very tempted by the Team Hybrid (Heinzmann) conversion of the Montague full-size folder. In the end I just couldn't justify forking out over 2,000 yo-yo.
Eventually, by a happy accident, I found CH White of Malmesbury who build conversions based on Dahon folders. Started with the 24" Glide but after talking to the excellent Tim, I've finished up ordering the baby Ciao P8 twenty-incher, along with a few goodies like the Thudbuster seat post. Couldn't resist the gorgeous wicker basket either. All in all the Dahon looks like a proper engineering job and the gear is good, especially the 8-speed Nexus (as used on the Kalkoff Pro-Connect). I have no connection with these Wiltshire guys; I don't know them from a bar of soap but they seemed both knowledgeable and helpful.
Now awaiting the machine (rubs hands) for my initial venture in to the arcane and magical world of electric biking.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done bluevalentine, you're not the first, and I doubt will be the last who chose the C.H.White route on a Dahon, their service frequently praised.

I hope you enjoy years of happy use from your new bike. :)

Ecyclex

Just Joined
Aug 28, 2008
Im new here

Hi, All,

Im a quite new one in this froum and hope learns more about electric bicycle experience form you guys.

Alex

litwinroberts

Just Joined
Sep 25, 2010
Wisper 906SX Tourer Reviews?

Hello there. This is my first entry into the Forum. I bought a Powabyke about five years ago for £750. It ran OK for a short while but then it started to break down regularly. Trouble was I bought it 'ex display' so my consumer rights were almost non existant. Any way for the short time I bought it it was a reliable workhorse if a heavy beast especially after having to ride it several miles in the rain when the battery failed.
Anyway, turning to the present, like you I have gone through loads of reviews and have finally decided on the Wisper 906SX Tourer. I am awaiting delivery today! I am not sure if I made the right decision. There are numerous reviews for the 905 but not 906 with the Dapush Motor. Also it has a carbon alloy frame. I thought this would make it lighter but the spec says it is the same weight as the 905?
Any way, I will keep you posted on my experience with the 906 but it the meantime if anyone has any reviews on it I would be interested to read them.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi and welcome:p

It is in fact called a 906xc tourer? a very nice top of the range wisper bike, hope you had a test ride first, to make sure you like it as it is an expensive bike.....I am sure you will not be disappointed it is a beautiful looking bike, the carbon frame really something! Get decent locks!

why you have chosen to dig up an ancient circa 2008 thread to introduce yourself will probably remain a mystery:D

Last edited: