A Question About the Battery

Yalwen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2008
I’ve been a reader of this forum for some time now, but have rarely contributed.

I was a reasonable cyclist - mountain bike - but then I succumbed to heart problems and found the cycling very difficult.

Medication has stabilised my condition and I decided to pick up the old mountain bike again. No dice. Out of breath, utterly shattered and it took me a long time to recover from even a simple ride along the local towpath.

Something had to be done because I did feel a little better thanks to the medication and I wanted to get out into the fresh air, so I bit the bullet and bought a Giant Twist Freedom. Am I glad I did? I wouldn’t have believed the difference it has made to me. I’ve not had it very long, but I’ve been out every day and I am feeling better in so many ways.

I am a big lad, 6’3” and weigh in at about 15st 10lb, so maybe that is why the distance that the battery lasts is not as good as I thought it would be. Only getting about 15 miles to a charge. However, it’s been a long time since I’ve been capable of getting anywhere near 15 miles so I’m not complaining.

I just thought of one question that the forum members may be able to put me straight on. The question is “is there any benefit or detriment to turning the power off when I feel capable of riding unaided?” I thought that that may be one way of stretching the battery distance a little further but I am a little worried about doing damage to the battery or the motor.

I’d be grateful for any advice

Yalwen

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, you can turn it off to use no power when riding without doing any harm, many do just this on a variety of e-bikes. Your Giant Freedom has a freewheel inside the motor which disconnects the motor when you pedal without power, so it's unaffected by that.

It sounds like you have the single side battery on yours, but Giant have the option of twin side batteries which slightly more than doubles the range.

Yalwen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2008
Thank you very much for your very quick reply, flecc.

I appreciate your advice.

Yalwen