A random thread for things too unimportant for their own thread...

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
;)

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
blimey that fella has balls ,or is it just blind faith? Doubt if he is a priest tho'.

I have done a few decents like that in the past,with touring gear on, once up in the Italian Appenines, got stuck behind a bus, couldn't be arsed wearing my brakes out, overtook the bus ,then went down like a stone in a drainpipe, beat the bus by 15 mins!

Yeeeee haaaaahhhhh!!!!!!

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
As this I a random thread I'll have a little rant about fiat.
Took my car in for a service and first MOT on Monday 15th (3 years old panda trekking). They found a few issues that would not pass an mot :( but it had 2days warranty left:)
Rear shocks leaking was one problem, everything was done by 4oclock Tuesday but on the pre mot test drive the new shocks knocked ? That's what they told me Anywho. Only one other pr in the UK and they were delivered to the garage on Thursday pm, apparently the wrong size.
The garage had no choice but to order directly from the factory in Italy with a 10 day expected delivery. I've just recieved a call to say delivery has been put back another week :mad: but the garage dosent know why:(
As a small consolation I still have there loan car ;)
When it's fixed I don't intend keeping it or replacing it with another Fiat.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Took my car in for a service and first MOT on Monday 15th (3 years old panda trekking). They found a few issues that would not pass an mot :( but it had 2days warranty left:)
Rear shocks leaking was one problem, everything was done by 4oclock Tuesday but on the pre mot test drive the new shocks knocked ? That's what they told me Anywho. Only one other pr in the UK and they were delivered to the garage on Thursday pm, apparently the wrong size.
The garage had no choice but to order directly from the factory in Italy with a 10 day expected delivery. I've just recieved a call to say delivery has been put back another week :mad: but the garage dosent know why:(
Read last week the the fiat punto scored the lowest ever crash test.. zero stars and can be bought from a UK showroom.

Reactions: oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is your made in Poland? Or, IIRC the production had been moved back to Italy, Sicily, almost the same thing... :p

I've had a few, a couple of Pandas and a Stilo. The latter was a very good car, I needed some parts but couldn't find any in a breakers yard because as they said "handles too well, never crashes". But the electrics were very Italian. It kept saying "Please pull over to the side of the road, something is horribly wrong" which used to freak my kids out for a while but after the first 10,000 km or so they got used to it. One day it stopped saying that by itself which freaked me out! Fortunately it started saying it again...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Another random subject, the utilities that we all hate so much.

After many years as a low user so happy to stay for electricity with expensive EDF, a change in circumstances meant my usage was going to rise very sharply, so I switched to a moderate cost green supplier.

New supplier (Bulb) super efficient, emailing me at every little stage to keep me fully informed, the switch completed 18th January.

Still no final bill from EDF even though the switch date meter reading was shared, but I've now got this email from them:

We're sorry it's taking a while to sort out your final bill. We're working to switch you to your new supplier. Unfortunately it's taking a little longer than expected.

Baffling when the switch was completed 23 days ago!

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I joined MSE collective switch and got a big discount from British gas. When it ended the next switchcwas to EDF so I rang bg asking them to renew my collective tariff or I would be moving..
They just said .. sorry to lose you...

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I,ve visited and driven in many countries but I can honestly say I have never, ever been on a journey or seen anything like the one I,ve recently done in Vietnam.
I had to visit a location about a hundred and 50 miles away from where I,m based ( Mui Ne to Phan Ranh) Company hired a 4x4 and driver to deliver me...
In theory they drive on right hand side of road. Probably 1% of small motorbikes ( they are all sub 125) just drive on side that nearest to where ttheir journey started. So you,ll be driving along and confronted with a bike coming towards you.( on your right)) quite frequently. When we reached dual carriage way, I thought things would be better, nope..now the madness starts. Yes, more now drive on the right ( the %age who make their own decision has now dropped but not eliminated) but the slow lane is on the left..So lorries trundle along at 45 mph in what would be in France...the fast lane. Ok so cars travelling faster must " undertake" the lorries. But the really slow bikes, rick shaws, Honda C90,s with trailers are all merrily going along on the narrow hard shoulder..so cars undertake the slow lorries and overtake the slower assembled masses on the right...who on occasions are having to avoid the rogue motorbike going against the flow of traffic.. It really is quite barmy...but seems somehow to work. There are no frayed tempers, lots of minor bumps..( a moped crashed into back of us, obviously damaging vehicle..driver just laughed..as he was typing into his phone...
Honestly, its got to be seen to be believed.

At moment you can only hire cars in certain districts, our licenses dont cover being able to drive here...at the moment...I dont think I,ll be driving here even when or if it becomes a possibility...
Its only second place I,ve been I wouldn't drive.Other place was Hull...( and I learnt to drive in Jamaica !)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I,ve visited and driven in many countries but I can honestly say I have never, ever been on a journey or seen anything like the one I,ve recently done in Vietnam.
I had to visit a location about a hundred and 50 miles away from where I,m based ( Mui Ne to Phan Ranh) Company hired a 4x4 and driver to deliver me...
In theory they drive on right hand side of road. Probably 1% of small motorbikes ( they are all sub 125) just drive on side that nearest to where ttheir journey started. So you,ll be driving along and confronted with a bike coming towards you.( on your right)) quite frequently. When we reached dual carriage way, I thought things would be better, nope..now the madness starts. Yes, more now drive on the right ( the %age who make their own decision has now dropped but not eliminated) but the slow lane is on the left..So lorries trundle along at 45 mph in what would be in France...the fast lane. Ok so cars travelling faster must " undertake" the lorries. But the realm slow bikes, rick shaws, Honda C90,s with trailers are all merrily going along on the narrow hard shoulder..so cars undertake the slow lorries and overtake the slower assembled masses on the right...who on occasions are having to avoid the rogue motorbike going against the flow of traffic.. It really is quite barmy...but seems somehow to work. There are no frayed tempers, lots of minor bumps..( a moped crasshed into back of us, obviously damaging vehicle..driver just laughed..as he was typing into his phone...
Honestly, its got to be seen to be believed.
Just like China used to be and still is in the backwoods regions. Their trouble is that government couldn't make up its mind on which side driving should be on and changed it a couple of times.

As you say, it does largely work though, and why we are trying similar with uncontrolled zones in London. No traffic lights, no road markings, no pavements, just let everyone work things out in the available space.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Just like China used to be and still is in the backwoods regions. Their trouble is that government couldn't make up its mind on which side driving should be on and changed it a couple of times.

As you say, it does largely work though, and why we are trying similar with uncontrolled zones in London. No traffic lights, no road markings, no pavements, just let everyone work things out in the available space.
The traffic flows in Siagon are unbelievable, pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds and few cars converge onto a major crossroads, get mixed together and then somehow disentangle and proceed on their merry ways without apparently being slowed in the process.. We, myself and a German colleaguel, would just sit in a coffee shop mesmerized. I tried videoing it, but it didn't do it justice...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The traffic flows in Siagon are unbelievable, pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds and few cars converge onto a major crossroads, get mixed together and then somehow disentangle and proceed on their merry ways without apparently being slowed in the process.. We, myself and a German colleaguel, would just sit in a coffee shop mesmerized. I tried videoing it, but it didn't do it justice...
They attempt it in the Middle East too, blindfold:

Clipboard01.jpg

• :D
Reactions: Nealh

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • :D

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Its amazing isn't it....traffic mixes, mingles and comes out seemingly no worse for wear going in direction it wishes.. It defies logic...I do wonder if Vietnamese mentality helps. Yes, they continually blow horn but absolutely never react to anything...just smile and stoically continue. Traffic is quite slow too...they don't race about ( well not much) and do seem infinitely patient ....when its absolutely essential.
You will see entire families aboard little Hondas'...kids wearing masks but no helmets.
Saw a trailer being pulled along by a C 90 ( or Yamaha equivalent) and honestly it had entire contents of a house on it...fridge included..It was trundling haappily along at 20 mph or so...How the bikes keep going I have no idea..
We,ve also noticed those old manual petrol dispensers at side of road. I thought they were ornaments...but no they fill up bikes from them...at one bloke was dispensing petrol and then stepping to side to turn his spit on street BBQ, literally inches from petrol dispenser...he also smoked during both proceedures and when sellng his roast duck..! Place is mad.
And they do eat Crocodile and Cobra. Seen I for sale in fish markets...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
...traffic mixes, mingles and comes out seemingly no worse for wear going in direction it wishes.. It defies logic...
Thinking about it, I suppose its a naturally evolved ability. We've been walking and running randomly and in groups for countless years without bumping into each other. Behavioural evolution is very much quicker than physical and the way we walk in conflicting directions and speeds in densely crowded pedestrian areas illustrates the skills we've gained.

So long as the speeds are no greater than running speed, circa 20mph, we're equipped to handle it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There is a delightful story in the current Newsweek. An American, picked up that there was a concert by the Red Hot Chilli Piper's , in the big arena in Belfast, and the tickets were an incredible 41 dollars each, As you are no doubt aware the Red Hot Chillies are a global supergroup.. any way it being Valintine weekend, he organised the flights etc for himself and this current expecting a great show.
He was somewhat disappointed that the evening consisted of 2.5 hours of high volume bagpipes playing......

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
We, myself and a German colleaguel, would just sit in a coffee shop mesmerized. I tried videoing it, but it didn't do it justice...
There is a very simple explanation, 'Emergent behaviour'
Here in Swindon we have an excellent example of the principle in the 'Magic roundabout'
The same logic applies to 'shared space junctions'. Quite simply, it's all about survival.

Advertisers