A simple mod!

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
Just been looking at the quick connect/disconnect lead to the motor on the Synergie - why don't all electric bikes have this?

Anyway, it looks like the simplest of mods and I can't think of any reason not to do it - do you?

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Unfortunately it's not that easy on other bikes.

The Mistral has a brushed motor with only two very thin but high current wires to the motor.

Brushless motored bikes have eight wires, three phase wires plus five hall sensor (back EMF) wires. This means you would need two seperate connectors.

I have to agree though, It would make life simpler if this could be done.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It certainly can be neatly done, even on 8 lead Hall motors. A good example is the new Giant Twist series with a neat detachable housing on the side of the Sanyo motor spindle. You can see it's upper triangular projection on the far side of the front motor in it's photo.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The Wisper used to have one but it has been removed, maybe it's just something else to go wrong with not enough benefit. I can take the wheel out without disconnecting the motor to change tyres so I can't see what I'd need it for. :confused:
Edit:
I have been corrected, there is a connector inside the box that houses the controller.

Last edited: