A whole can of worms for a Monday morning = Pedelec v 125cc Motorcycle

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
The Honda you'd want is CBF125 | 125cc | Motorcycles | Honda (UK) Do you have a motorcycle licence? If not, you'd need a CBT to start riding it. It costs £2500 and WILL be reliable.

As to whether you want a small motorbike or an E-bike, only you will know. How steep are these hills you've been struggling with?

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Of course another benefit with a legal e-bike is, you can go to the pub and not have to worry about drink driving, especiallly as my Eagle runs so well after I've had a few!!

Shush, don't mention that major benefit too loudly, otherwise you might have the forum do-gooders hounding you about breaking the law or riding whilst drunk or something !!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Shush, don't mention that major benefit too loudly, otherwise you might have the forum do-gooders hounding you about breaking the law or riding whilst drunk or something !!
Ish nuffing ter do wiv der goo-dooders, hic! :eek:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Well spotted Jimod the CG 125 hasn`t been sold here for at least two years , it`s successor is the Indian built CBF 125 . There are plenty of Chinese built clones of the CG 125 sold here though , starting at about £1200 . The Twist and Go Magazine did a Honda challenge from Grantham to Skegness and back to check the economy of their smaller models . Their CBF 125 motorcycle came out top with 123 mpg , Vision 110 Scooter 121 mpg and their Thailand built PCX 125 Scooter 108 mpg .Their latest Scooters have reduced friction fuel injected four stroke engines with stop/start technology and are of course Autos .
These are real world figures , as I have a friend that was commuting from Barnes into Central London on a PCX and he was averaging 111 mpg .

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Honestly.......E Tim I expect better from you;) We love the e bikes when away in Italy or wherever in Europe. We can cycle to restaurants have a good few drinks and not have to worry regards riding home. Obviously not in a furious fashion!:p

Of to Spain for a month cycling at Easter...can't wait

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
My choice too, the CG125 is one of the all time greats of motorcycling, and very civilised.
I agree. If I was considering reverting to petrol-power the Honda CG would be first choice - just look at the number of imitations of it - cheaper, but pay the extra for an unburstable machine. Good luck, whatever your choice!
Tom

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Ish nuffing ter do wiv der goo-dooders, hic! :eek:
Thanks for that guys you know who you are.
Now ***, oops, are you going to Blenheim or not? hic! fartttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt hic! sorry:eek:

Breaking News: Tsunami warning for Willen lake!

Last edited:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
The Taliban seem to think they are ''bullet proof'' too.
No avronb I don't think you get it, I agree with their views, I don't promote illegal e-bikes, but not as strongly - life's too short as it is - now if we could bury the 50c thingy, life would be perfick, then it would be time for a cocktail.

Last edited:

avronb

Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2011
I was referring to the Taliban thinking their BIKES are bullet proof,they use Honda CGs for their motorised hit and run patrols.

iant30

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 12, 2011
An interesting problem. I am going in the reverse direction and selling my Yamaha Nitro 98cc scooter because:
1. I do not wish to have to sit and pay for a CBT course (£120 every 2 years) Plus annual insurance/road tax and MOT and servicing.
2. I am not keen on having to gear up each time I use the scooter as if I was going out to battle no matter how short the journey may be.
3.Somewhat paradoxically with less protective gear I feel safer on my road bike/electric bike.
4.I really cannot accompany my wife on a jaunt together where she is on her bike and I am on the scooter! That is one of our main reasons for each getting electric bikes.
5. The scooter is very heavy and accidents may well be more frequent; expensive and painful.

On the electric bike front I cannot recommend the Tonaro Eagle
highly enough for hilly terrain. I found it quite superb.
Good luck whichever way you go!

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Those Derringer's are extremely attractive. No prices though ............

Thanks for the massive response to this post. I have a full bike licence and have gone from a 50cc moped through a Commando in my yoiuth to a VFR 750 and finally a Fireblade in my male menopause. Now I just wanted the mixture of cycling but just a bit of help up the hills. I never realised it would be so hard. Leaning towards an S-Wing 125 at the moment as the wife fancies doing her CBT. I know what will happen I will go for it and the next day all the new kits will be released. Just posted a link to a real monster of a kit that goes up mountains. Looks very impressive and makes me tempted to give it a go and register the result as a moped and get it insured.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
any of these serious electric motorbikes would frighten the life out of me on London roads, with the amount of J walkers stepping out in front of you. Cant imagine what this would be like on a high powered near silent E motorbike. Have had 2 very near misses with pedestrians this week alone.

I think the petrol bike overkill for a 6 mile journey, Cycling far more pleasant and you would feel better when you arrive!

the link you posted to kit , I posted a few weeks back......You need to keep up!:p

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Is that picture of the wonderful thing recent ? If it is, how did they get all those unguarded chains past the EU or more accurately the German TUV inspection body ?

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
They're American - no suggestion of them being available in Europe!

I don't know how the American regulations work, though it looks as though they're intended for on-road use.

Ah - I now know a little more. They will do 35 MPH, and can be ridden as an 'open-licence, unregistered' motor vehicle presumably in certain states (as in the US it's common for the rules to vary from one state to another).

They have a drum front brake and what they call a 'coaster' rear brake, which I surmise is what we call a back-pedal brake.

They are sexy, aren't they?

Rog.

Last edited:

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Yes I was looking at the pudding basin helmet .I still have mine from the late 1950`s , although I use my full face and open face ones now . There is a story to my pudding basin model . It was originally silver and when I was an Apprentice at Westland Aircraft in Yeovil in the 1950`s the Foreman of the Paintshop had it sprayed in red for me .The red was the same colour as the danger arrow and wording on the Helicopter tailcone to prevent you walking into the tail rotor on the WS 55 Whirlwind at the time . In 1962 I took it to the Isle of Man on the DAN AIR DC 3 from Cardiff to use on the Scooter that I had hired there . Landing over the Mersey on the way my girfriend was sick and the Air Hostess appeared and I thought she had come to help with the mopping up . No chance she just handed me the tissues !
I hope this story hasn`t been boring but that pudding basin started me off .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just posted a link to a real monster of a kit that goes up mountains. Looks very impressive and makes me tempted to give it a go and register the result as a moped and get it insured.
Could be a can of worms with all the necessary moped compliances for SVA. Brake light and lighting (dip?), adequate brakes, mirror, rear plate mount etc.