A2B - December

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Its out folks and I am a paid up subscriber :)

Just checking it now to read the test on Freedom E's offering.

A to B (December 2009)

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Hmmmm

Not a bad write up on the Freedom E offering I guess. I would have liked to see more about the battery arrangement and charging. I think we gleaned more information on this forum from Caroline's thread here. I never realised that the original Nano was 210RPM.

There seems to be a mistake, unless there is a newer 75mm Tongxin motor as my understanding was that the slimmest they do is a 80mm wide one ?

I heard from Electric Wheel Company (EWC) recently that they have sourced 28 hole Tongxin motors which makes finding rims easier. Its also a little unfair in that they never quoted EWC's basic kit cost which is considerably lower if you then chose to buy a smaller battery yourself.

There is no mention of import duty on either the kit or the built up bike you purchase from Freedom E.

I noticed A to B showed the Freedom E wheel with a radial spoke arrangement in terms of fitting the motor into the rim.

One last thing why don't they use the original torque washer that has slots in it for the frame clip ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I heard from EWC recently that they have sourced 28 hole Tongxin motors which makes finding rims easier. Its also a little unfair in that they never quoted EWC's basic kit cost which is considerably lower if you then chose to buy a smaller battery yourself.

Tere is no mention of import duty on either the kit or the built up bike you purchase from Freedom E.

I noticed they showed the radial spoke arrangement in terms of fitting the motor into the rim.
I haven't seen the article but do they really use 28 radial spokes with a hub motor? That sounds like a recipe for pain, does it have a disk brake as well?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
No Mussels,

Freedom E use a radial arrangt, though you can request a cross-1 pattern. **I updated the post to make it clearer that Freedom E use a radial spoke arrangt, though as I said you can chose different**.

Its Electric Wheel Company (EWC) who have sourced 28 hole motors and I am pretty sure they use a cross-1 pattern.

Brompton sized 36 hole rims seem hard to get hold of.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
I've been reading A2B for 2 years, and I've always found their bike reviews vague at best, sometimes even with blatant inaccuracies. That being said, I enjoy the content and I think it's good value for money (11GBP/year, Velovision is twice as expensive at 20GBP/year). :)

Note about the Electric Wheel Company / Nano: A2B have always been pro-Brompton and they have covered the Nano extensively. So it's not so much about being unfair, more about writing no-so-thorough reviews ;)

Cheers, Dan
(I haven't had time to read the December edition yet)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been reading A2B for 2 years, and I've always found their bike reviews vague at best, sometimes even with blatant inaccuracies.
Sadly that's increasingly very true. I see in the Freedom test that they say the Nano-Brompton's power assist was only up to 11 mph, but in the original test they said 14 mph, grossly misleading to potential purchasers and just not good enough.

RobinC

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2009
Bristol
In the latest AtoB they mentioned that Brompton is working on an electric version but it is still some way off.
I think I read somewhere that they were also in contact with Tongxin a while ago but I don't know if anything has come of that.

Robin

Last edited:

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
It has been my impression that AtoB has 'gone off' a bit recently. (OK it might just be that the content hasn't suited me, which is bound to happen from time to time). On the other hand Mr Henshaw has been writing 'the definitive book' on the Brompton which will be out in a few weeks time, so maybe he has been distracted. The December issue is mostly about the Brompton so that must have been a fairly easy one to write in the circumstances!